HSU Research Forum (HRF)

HSU Research Forum (HRF) (http://forum.hsuresearch.com/index.php)
-   Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers (http://forum.hsuresearch.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2.3 update (http://forum.hsuresearch.com/showthread.php?t=14566)

aht3 August 15th, 2009 8:00 PM

2.3 update

I was messing around with my sub and wondered if it was worth it to split my incoming sub cable and feed it to the right and left inputs. WOW is all I have to say. It's like I have a new sub. My 2.3 usually will not wake up until the volume is in the low 50s. Well, I hd it in the low 70s and it fired right up. I now have to re-tune my system because the bass is too much.. I was thinking about upgrading but after this performance, I feel like I already have a new and more powerful sub. The splitter only cost me three bucks and I am satisfied.

Pete_Hsu August 17th, 2009 4:32 PM

Hi aht,

How high is the volume knob on the subwoofer amp, and what is the subwoofer channel level set at on the receiver?

Using a y-splitter is just boosting the gain on the unit...

Sincerely,

aht3 August 17th, 2009 9:50 PM

it's set to about 10:30 as always and gain on receiver is set to 0.

Thanks

aht3 August 27th, 2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete_Hsu (Post 44585)
Hi aht,

How high is the volume knob on the subwoofer amp, and what is the subwoofer channel level set at on the receiver?

Using a y-splitter is just boosting the gain on the unit...

Sincerely,

Pete,
Thanks again for the info. I am loving my sub more than ever. the sound has a heavy hit, is not boomy and just plain sounds good. I am running with a port plug in and am going to try it in max extension just to see. Again, thank and yes..I am still enjoying my sub.

Matt_Smi August 29th, 2009 5:14 PM

I was always under the impression that the white input was the main one and that the red one was to be used for passing the signal to another sub when running two of them and it then allows you to split the signal again off from the second sub and so fourth. Is this the case? I remember when I owned my first crappy Sony sub the guy at radioshack said I needed one of these splitters in order to use the sub, one day I just took it out and only used the white input and it sounded the same so I never used it since.

Pete_Hsu August 30th, 2009 6:39 PM

Actually it is fine to use either the left or right low level inputs on the VTF/ULS subwoofers, no need to use a y-splitter when fed from a single subwoofer pre-out...

mystro September 24th, 2009 10:15 PM

Hi, I have an onkyo 607 receiver, it has 2 subwoofer output. I am currently connected on the left and my sub is also input on the left. The HSU has a right inputs as well, what will happen if I were to connect 2 of them? I mean left output from the receiver to left input of the sub, and Right output from the receiver to Right input of the sub? 2 connections will this damage the subwoofer and receiver?

Thanks,
Chris

shadyJ September 24th, 2009 10:22 PM

That isn't going to damage your sub. It will be two of the same signal, and all it would do is give the incoming signal a boost by a few db. It might help trigger the auto-on easier.

mystro September 26th, 2009 2:04 AM

Thanks shadyJ,
This will boost my VTF 2 and make it sound louder?

shadyJ September 26th, 2009 6:42 AM

It won't make the sub perform better, if that is what you mean. It just adds a few db onto the incoming signal; It just turns the volume up on the sub, so to speak.

aht3 September 29th, 2009 2:39 PM

I agree tha my sub is louder after using the y splitter but what I like most is that it wakes up at really low volumes. In my opinion, it also has a more punchy, less boomy sound that it used to. But that's just my opinion. The improvement is sound has kept me from upgrading to a bigger sub.

mystro September 29th, 2009 7:44 PM

Hi aht3,
When you mentioned y splitter, does that mean you only have 1 cable running from your Receiver output and then a y splitter connected to your HSU subwoofer left and right input? Just wondering how you did it.

aht3 October 2nd, 2009 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mystro (Post 47328)
Hi aht3,
When you mentioned y splitter, does that mean you only have 1 cable running from your Receiver output and then a y splitter connected to your HSU subwoofer left and right input? Just wondering how you did it.

Actually, yes that is what I did. I have one cable connected to the reciver plit to two subs and a female to male going to the HSU.

mystro October 4th, 2009 3:19 AM

Thanks aht3, I understand how you did it now.

However, my onkyo 607 have 2 subs output for Right and Left, not sure why, but in the receiver setup there is no configuration for Right or Left sub, only 1 subwoofer configuration. Maybe, I just need another cable for the Right and connect it to the Right of my HSU sub, total 2 cables output from my receiver and then 2 input to my HSU, so not necessary for a Y splitter.

Thanks.