HSU Research Forum (HRF)

HSU Research Forum (HRF) (http://forum.hsuresearch.com/index.php)
-   Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers (http://forum.hsuresearch.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   BAS CD Test Tone Results, Opinions Welcome! (http://forum.hsuresearch.com/showthread.php?t=95175)

elwaylite November 11th, 2011 7:13 AM

BAS CD Test Tone Results, Opinions Welcome!
 
1 Attachment(s)
Ive highlighted the modes I think I'll stick with, just looking at the results. Measured from center position, after audyssey setup and all of that. CD was played in Oppo 93.

Sputter November 11th, 2011 8:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by elwaylite (Post 132207)
Ive highlighted the modes I think I'll stick with, just looking at the results. Measured from center position, after audyssey setup and all of that. CD was played in Oppo 93.

Interesting man, what did you use to measure with? Your Q numbers are similar to my REW graphs. What db level did you run the test with and from what distance?

Did you try sealed?

Here is a graph with my dual 15Hs in a 4500^ room.
I used my SMS-1 to kill two peaks 50hz~.
One port open, EQ2, Q.7
I didn't keep my 95db graph (that's as loud as I've run my sweeps) but it's as a flat as my 75/85 sweeps.

elwaylite November 11th, 2011 8:08 AM

As far as dB level, I just set the Marantz AVR at 0.0 dB (reference), I was about 10ft from the sub in my listening position. Used a Radio Shack Analog SPL meter.

Sputter November 11th, 2011 8:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elwaylite (Post 132209)
As far as dB level, I just set the Marantz AVR at 0.0 dB (reference), I was about 10ft from the sub in my listening position. Used a Radio Shack Analog SPL meter.

So 75db is your reference lvl? (going by your numbers) Nicely layed out graph.

elwaylite November 11th, 2011 8:23 AM

Yeah, I would assume its 75dB.

Looking at the charts on HSU for the VTF-15,

0.7 one port EQ1 is pretty flat from 200 down to 20, then slopes to 15. 0.7 EQ2 is also flat from 200 to 25, and the midbass area is a little louder.

The midbass on the Max Ext mode is not that much lower, and I gotta think having the ability to get that extra sound/feel from 16-25 is important too.

I think Im gonna stick with 1 port open, EQ1, and 0.7. Im no subwoofer expert at all :)

Sputter November 11th, 2011 8:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by elwaylite (Post 132211)
Yeah, I would assume its 75dB.

Looking at the charts on HSU for the VTF-15,

0.7 one port EQ1 is pretty flat from 200 down to 20, then slopes to 15. 0.7 EQ2 is also flat from 200 to 25, and the midbass area is a little louder.

The midbass on the Max Ext mode is not that much lower, and I gotta think having the ability to get that extra sound/feel from 16-25 is important too.

I think Im gonna stick with 1 port open, EQ1, and 0.7. Im no subwoofer expert at all :)

Here's a graph showing EQ1
Keep in mind that the meter isn't too accurate the lower you measure.

Note the hump ~16hz due to the boost from eq1

elwaylite November 11th, 2011 9:00 AM

Just looking at my data, do you think Eq1 Port 1 Q 0.7 is the right choice?

Sputter November 11th, 2011 9:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elwaylite (Post 132213)
Just looking at my data, do you think Eq1 Port 1 Q 0.7 is the right choice?

Just looking at your numbers you're down 18db at 16hz from 50hz.
That's a huge drop. I would look for a better placement first. (if it was me)

elwaylite November 11th, 2011 9:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sputter (Post 132215)
Just looking at your numbers you're down 18db at 16hz from 50hz.
That's a huge drop. I would look for a better placement first. (if it was me)

Im kinda stuck there, WAF.

Here is my room layout and chart of modes, about 10 feet from sub

elwaylite November 11th, 2011 9:54 AM

Once charted,

EQ1 Port 1 50 to 20hz is a 18db drop
EQ2 Port 1 is a 24db drop
EQ2 2 ports open is 20db drop

Once looking at the chart, Im starting to think Pete had a good suggestion in that 2 ports open mode is not too bad either. It'd dB's are higher from like 125 down to 22.5

elwaylite November 11th, 2011 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Q Chart

Pete_Hsu November 11th, 2011 11:16 AM

Hey Jason,

Did you add the compensation factors to account for the inaccuracy of the SPL meter at the lowest frequencies? If not, then you need to add 2dB @ 31.5Hz, 4dB @ 25Hz, 7dB @ 20Hz, and 12dB @ 16Hz to the numbers you see from the SPL meter.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

elwaylite November 11th, 2011 11:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Pete, that makes the charts results a lot better.

Sputter November 11th, 2011 1:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elwaylite (Post 132216)
Im kinda stuck there, WAF.

Here is my room layout and chart of modes, about 10 feet from sub

Is there a corner you can use on outside of your mains (L or R) to take advantage of some room gain?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.