HSU Research Forum (HRF)

HSU Research Forum (HRF) (http://forum.hsuresearch.com/index.php)
-   Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers (http://forum.hsuresearch.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Repair or replace STF-2 (http://forum.hsuresearch.com/showthread.php?t=96143)

henry January 22nd, 2020 6:14 PM

Repair or replace STF-2

My Stf-2 has the green power light on but no longer responds when running tone ect. It's heartbreaking bcause I loved the Stf-2 and was thrilled when I first got it.

I can get a replacement amp for $180. With respect to longevity, is it practical to repair given the age of the sub woofer speaker? Doesn't the speaker material degrade over time?
Otherwise I might be satisfied with saving the Stf-2.

My system has a Yamaha Rx-A780 receiver with Northridge E60 Series tower, center, front, back speakers and Jamo overhead speakers in front. .. minus the Stf-2. : (
I'm mainly interested in movies and enjoy shaking the walls of my 18' x 18' w 10' high ceilings open concept room. Quality un-distorted accurate THX quality reproduction of music tracks is important too.

Any suggestions, including comparable replacement sub woofer appreciated.
Also, I would hate to dispose of the Stf-2. Is there a market or place to refurbish or re-use these components?

Thanks in advance,
Hank

Kevin_Hsu January 23rd, 2020 4:51 PM

Hi there!

Sorry to hear that. Did you try testing the driver by itself? How did you run the STF-2 when it was working properly (volume, crossover, LFE channel level)? That room is a bit on the bigger side.

henry January 23rd, 2020 5:21 PM

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your reply to my questions.

The volume was usually less than midway on the sub, crossover at 60 - 80,
phase at 0. The Yamaha Amp for the sub-woofer was set at 0 when used with Dolby 5.1 soundtracks. I wonder if leaving the amp "On" instead of "Auto" causes over heating.

I have not tested the driver yet but will do.

The STF-2 is the first sub I've owned. I appreciate clean accurate sound quality, but have to admit that I am a novice when it comes to fine tuning audio systems.

Thanks again, I appreciate HSU sub woofers and support.

Kevin_Hsu January 24th, 2020 11:57 AM

Thanks.

On vs Auto doesn't really make much of a difference in terms of wear on the amp. The amp is pretty efficient so the amount of power draw and wear largely depends on the amount of output it is putting out. By less than midway, do you mean 11-11:30 position? If so that may be a bit on the high side, as the gain control on the STF-2 is pretty sensitive. However, depending on the material and sensitivity of your speakers, it may not be. Hard to say. For example, if you're speakers are over 100 dB sensitivity then you have to turn the sub up more to get the same output as you would with a speaker sensitivity of 90 dB. Also if your preamp is putting out a lower voltage or your material doesn't have a good amount of bass content, that may be OK as well. You may want to consider getting a larger sub. If the size is an issue, the ULS-15 MK2 is a good compromise on size and performance.