HSU Research Forum (HRF)

HSU Research Forum (HRF) (http://forum.hsuresearch.com/index.php)
-   Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers (http://forum.hsuresearch.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   VTF2 - MK4 rattle..HELP! (http://forum.hsuresearch.com/showthread.php?t=95319)

kribnutz March 25th, 2012 10:26 AM

VTF2 - MK4 rattle..HELP!
 
Hello

I recently bought a brand new VTF2 MK4 sub. This was my first sub EVER for my first HT setup EVER and as can be expected, I was jumping around with joy when I got it and listened to some music and Movies on it.
Now after 3 weeks, it has developed this disconcerting rattle inside the box that is very audible and has left me worried about the reliability of these subs.

I have read some related posts on this forum so let me state that I have no kids, so no questions of stuff sticking inside the ports. Below are the stats that might be helpful in trying to analyze the problem

Sub volume level on Sub - 9 o'clock position
Crossover - Out, 80 Hz for LFE + Main set at Receiver (Denon 2112CI)
1 port open, Max Extension mode (switch on EQ1)
Master Volume: - 26dB
Channel Trim level: +1 dB, +0.5 dB, +0.5dB, -9dB (L, C, R, Sub)
Spiked feet on tiled floor.

I played the Test tone CD and the rattle comes on only at Track 15 (63 Hz). Tracks 9 to 14 and 16 to 20 play without any issues. If I press the sub box/ enclosure on the right edge, the rattle stops.
I did this during the playback of the test tone successfully a number of times: play Track 15 and when the rattle comes, press on the right top edge of the sub and the rattle stops. Let go of the right top edge and rattle comes back which leads me to believe that something has come loose inside the sub.

Please help me as I bought this sub based on reviews and while the sound itself sounds great, the reliability and longevity is now becoming a big concern for me

Thanks

~Krib

Dr_Hsu March 25th, 2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kribnutz (Post 133167)
Hello

I recently bought a brand new VTF2 MK4 sub. This was my first sub EVER for my first HT setup EVER and as can be expected, I was jumping around with joy when I got it and listened to some music and Movies on it.
Now after 3 weeks, it has developed this disconcerting rattle inside the box that is very audible and has left me worried about the reliability of these subs.

I have read some related posts on this forum so let me state that I have no kids, so no questions of stuff sticking inside the ports. Below are the stats that might be helpful in trying to analyze the problem

Sub volume level on Sub - 9 o'clock position
Crossover - Out, 80 Hz for LFE + Main set at Receiver (Denon 2112CI)
1 port open, Max Extension mode (switch on EQ1)
Master Volume: - 26dB
Channel Trim level: +1 dB, +0.5 dB, +0.5dB, -9dB (L, C, R, Sub)
Spiked feet on tiled floor.

I played the Test tone CD and the rattle comes on only at Track 15 (63 Hz). Tracks 9 to 14 and 16 to 20 play without any issues. If I press the sub box/ enclosure on the right edge, the rattle stops.
I did this during the playback of the test tone successfully a number of times: play Track 15 and when the rattle comes, press on the right top edge of the sub and the rattle stops. Let go of the right top edge and rattle comes back which leads me to believe that something has come loose inside the sub.

Please help me as I bought this sub based on reviews and while the sound itself sounds great, the reliability and longevity is now becoming a big concern for me

Thanks

~Krib

Are the feet on the tiled floor with no padding in between? If so, it may be buzzing/rattling against the hard surface. Put the sub on a soft surface and see if it still buzzes.

kribnutz March 27th, 2012 5:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Hsu (Post 133170)
Are the feet on the tiled floor with no padding in between? If so, it may be buzzing/rattling against the hard surface. Put the sub on a soft surface and see if it still buzzes.

Worked like a charm! But tell me why did the box stop rattling when I pressed down on the right top edge ? Just for my knowledge, what component specifically rattled against the tiled floor ?

Sorry for the late reply as I was extremely busy yesterday & the day before.

~Krib

Dr_Hsu March 27th, 2012 9:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kribnutz (Post 133188)
Worked like a charm! But tell me why did the box stop rattling when I pressed down on the right top edge ? Just for my knowledge, what component specifically rattled against the tiled floor ?

Sorry for the late reply as I was extremely busy yesterday & the day before.

~Krib

The woofer is down firing. So, when the signal gets strong, the woofer is moving up and down with quite some force. The reactive force moves the whole sub up and down. Hence the feet goes tap tap tap against the floor as it jumps off floor and lands back on the floor. :D Pressing on top stops the sub from jumping up as it needs more force to jump up - you have added your weight to it.:p


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 7:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.