HSU Research Forum (HRF)

HSU Research Forum (HRF) (http://forum.hsuresearch.com/index.php)
-   Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers (http://forum.hsuresearch.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Recommendations for my 2-channel system (http://forum.hsuresearch.com/showthread.php?t=95981)

wardsweb October 22nd, 2015 4:26 PM

Recommendations for my 2-channel system

1 Attachment(s)
I am looking for a very musical subwoofer. I like your VTF line for its flexibility and tuning ability to integrate into a system. I was looking at the VTF-3 MK5 and came across the VTF-15H on clearance for the same price. It goes to 16Hz (the last pedal on a pipe organ) which appeals to me, but I worry that it may be too much. I am not looking for room shaking and SPL. I want to fill in the lower end of my system. My main speakers already go to the low 30's, so I want something to work in the teens and 20's. My speakers use horns and over 100bB efficient. I drive them with only 22 watts of SET tube power. I listen to mostly jazz, classical and vocals. What are your thoughts on what I am trying to achieve and what options I have in your VTF line? I have attached a picture of the system.

shadyJ October 23rd, 2015 8:18 AM

That is a gorgeous setup! Are those speakers some classic Tannoys?

wardsweb October 23rd, 2015 8:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by shadyJ (Post 136491)
That is a gorgeous setup! Are those speakers some classic Tannoys?

They are DIY using JBL and Altec parts. Cabinets are Baltic birch veneered in sapele pommele with about a dozen coats of gloss lacquer.

shadyJ October 23rd, 2015 2:37 PM

I see, beautiful woodwork on those! If you don't need gobsmacking SPL, you might look into the original VTF15h in Rosenut. I would cross it over higher than the low 30s though. While your speaker may be able to do that, it will not do it as cleanly as the VTF15h. Is that bass driver a JBL 2226? 2242? They are awesome for mid bass, some of the very best ever made, but take a load off of their deep bass playback. Cross them over at 40 or 50 Hz. The VTF15h should be able to playback that range more cleanly.

wardsweb October 23rd, 2015 3:52 PM

They are JBL 2235H. One of my favorite JBL woofers. They spec 20 - 2K.

wardsweb October 26th, 2015 5:30 AM

It has been over three days since I posted my question. Is this not the correct venue to get sales assistance from HSU or is support just really slow?

ATL October 26th, 2015 7:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardsweb (Post 136496)
...Is this not the correct venue to get sales assistance from HSU or is support just really slow?

This is more of a public forum -- although Hsu staff does pop in from time to time in order to comment or answer questions. But it's hit or miss.

A more direct (more reliable?) method might be:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/contact.html

Just my opinion and suggestion.

wardsweb October 28th, 2015 5:11 AM

Thanks guys, but I think I will look elsewhere.

Sal1950 October 29th, 2015 11:38 PM

Wardsweb,
Sir you are a genuine artist in woodworking. Those speaker enclosures are works of art!
Sorry your not getting any factory support here, seems to be a lack of personnel issue on the forums. :o

ATL October 31st, 2015 8:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardsweb (Post 136490)
...I worry that it may be too much...I want to fill in the lower end of my system...I want something to work in the teens and 20's...I listen to mostly jazz, classical and vocals.

I would go with whatever digs the deepest. When I was looking a couple years ago for same, the ULS-15 was the flagship of the line in the infrasonic department. Spec'd down just about a decibel at 15 Hz. That is not the case with the new version.

As far as being 'too much', I would only say that a PROPERLY integrated subwoofer will only reproduce the information contained in the source material, and NOTHING MORE. (If you find yourself listening to the subwoofer in a system rather than the system itself, then I would say that is not a well-integrated, musical, balanced system.) The subwoofer in a system should be no more obvious than the tweeters or midranges -- except that it covers the range most lacking in many systems, therefore making its inclusion more 'obvious' in that regard. But I don't think you can have 'too much' amplification or radiating area when it comes to infrasonics.

The best subwoofer in my opinion is the one that draws no undue attention to itself. Hope you find it (or them).