HSU Research Forum (HRF)

HSU Research Forum (HRF) (http://forum.hsuresearch.com/index.php)
-   Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers (http://forum.hsuresearch.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How to integrate a Mid-Bass Module with an existing dual-sub system? (http://forum.hsuresearch.com/showthread.php?t=96152)

andyadler May 13th, 2020 11:12 PM

How to integrate a Mid-Bass Module with an existing dual-sub system?

Hi all. Im currently running a HT system using a VTF-3 and TN1220 (the latter powered by a Hsu 500 Watt amp. I also have a MBM that had been in use in another room, and now Id like to add it to my current configuration. The two subs run to the pair of sub-outs on my Yamaha TSR-7810 receiver. Do I need to split one of those to accommodate the MBM? Or is there a better approach?

Thanks very much...A.

Kevin_Hsu May 14th, 2020 3:27 PM

Do you know if you can set independent distances for each sub out?

Sorny May 18th, 2020 3:15 PM

IMHO, the best way to run multiple subs is with a MiniDSP 2x4HD fed from a single sub/lfe output. It's more work, but the results can be simply outstanding.

andyadler May 19th, 2020 5:15 AM

Kevin: Yes, sub distances can be set independently. I have the TN1220 lying on its side behind my couch and the VTF in a near-corner of my listening/viewing space. At the moment the Mid-Bass Module is acting as an end table on one side of my couch, but not currently in use.

andyadler May 19th, 2020 5:20 AM

Sorny: Can you tell me more about how you use the MiniDSP in a multi-sub system?

Sorny May 22nd, 2020 12:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyadler (Post 137207)
Sorny: Can you tell me more about how you use the MiniDSP in a multi-sub system?

You would use a single subwoofer/LFE output from your receiver as input 1 of the MiniDSP. Each subwoofer gets an output from the miniDSP. Using REW and a measurement mic (Umik-1 or the like), you take measurements for each sub. Using REW, you can see the individual response of the subwoofers, including phase (delay). Using REW, you then adjust the subs to get them all in phase by adding delay to individual subwoofers on the output of the minidsp. Once all 3 subs are in phase, you use the EQ tool in REW to generate EQ filters for the combined 3 sub response to get your desired response; be it flat, or a house curve (where bass level rises the lower in frequency you go to better approximate how our ears work).

That's a high-level overview of how it is done. There are numerous application notes on MiniDSP's website for how to integrate multiple subwoofers, as well as many youtube videos about how it is accomplished.

REW is free software, though donations are welcome. A miniDSP 2x4HD runs about $200, and a umik-1 from minidsp runs under $100. So, it is adding about $300 worth of hardware, and whatever you choose to donate for the software, but integrating multiple subs without it is like herding cats and you're still at the mercy of room modes.

I went from 2 subs to 3, and then from 3 to 4. Once I got past the couple hours of learning curve on REW and MiniDSP plugin software, it was a breeze to get my subs behaving the best they can.

I've attached a couple graphs, showing what can be done with a MiniDSP/Umik-1/REW and 4 subs... The end result has a significant house curve by design. I could just as easily have EQ'd it flat, but I like the boosted low end bass as it sounds subjectively better to my ears.

This is not something easily done without proper tools, that that's what MiniDSP, Umik-1, and REW allow. They give you the tools to make outstanding subwoofers perform to their best; and HSU subs are definitely outstanding subs capable of incredible output and fidelity when you undo the damage the room is causing.