HSU Research Forum (HRF)

HSU Research Forum (HRF) (http://forum.hsuresearch.com/index.php)
-   Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers (http://forum.hsuresearch.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hsu Research @ T.H.E. SHOW Newport Beach (http://forum.hsuresearch.com/showthread.php?t=83728)

Pete_Hsu May 9th, 2011 2:24 PM

Hsu Research @ T.H.E. SHOW Newport Beach

Dear all,

I am happy to report that Hsu Research will be exhibiting @ T.H.E. SHOW in Newport Beach, California next month! Dr. Hsu and his wife will be there, in addition to some Hsu Research staff.

Here are details with respect to dates, times, and location:

http://www.theshownewport.com/2011n/mainpage.php

18800 MacArthur Blvd. - Room #402
Irvine, CA 92612
Phone: (949) 833-9999
Fax: (949) 833-3317

Dates/Times
Fri Jun 3, 2011: 12pm-7pm
Sat Jun 4, 2011: 10am-6pm
Sun Jun 5, 2011: 10am-5pm

We will have all our STF/VTF/ULS subwoofers on display, and will have VTF-15H/ULS-15 subwoofers for demo with our HB-1 MK2/HC-1 MK2 horn speakers.

We will also have some show specials for people who order any Hsu Research subwoofer or speaker at T.H.E. SHOW.

And last but not least, free Hsu Research t-shirts and free chocolate candy for all those who attend (while quantities last)!

Hope all of you SoCal residents can make it!

Sincerely,

The Hsu Research team

ROBERT760 May 9th, 2011 4:42 PM

the show

Pete do u know what other ID COMPANYS are attending?

Pete_Hsu May 9th, 2011 7:10 PM

Hi Robert,

I'm not sure what other ID companies will be there, but there are many well known exhibitors (including TAD/Pioneer, Von Schweikert, etc.). I think there is a list of exhibitors on T.H.E. SHOW Newport home page.

Sincerely,

Sputter May 9th, 2011 8:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete_Hsu (Post 118893)
Hi Robert,

I'm not sure what other ID companies will be there, but there are many well known exhibitors (including TAD/Pioneer, Von Schweikert, etc.). I think there is a list of exhibitors on T.H.E. SHOW Newport home page.

Sincerely,

Pete, take pictures for us.:) Looking at the list of exhibitors it's a good crowd. Free T-shirts are always a crowd pleaser. ( I love t-shirts).

shadyJ May 10th, 2011 5:15 AM

Here is a list of some of the exhibitors. I don't see any other major ID brands in that list.

mentatgom May 10th, 2011 6:13 PM

Planning on attending on Sunday, and dragging the wife along; see you guys there!

Pete_Hsu May 10th, 2011 9:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sputter (Post 118897)
Pete, take pictures for us.:) Looking at the list of exhibitors it's a good crowd. Free T-shirts are always a crowd pleaser. ( I love t-shirts).

Will do man! Hopefully Dr. Hsu can make good use of his iPhone this time around :D

Pete_Hsu May 10th, 2011 9:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mentatgom (Post 119043)
Planning on attending on Sunday, and dragging the wife along; see you guys there!

Awesome mentatgom, getting any woman to attend an audio show is a feat in and of itself, well done! :)

monkuboy May 21st, 2011 5:25 PM

I just bought a couple of passes... Mrs. Monku actually wants to go, if you can believe that. See you over there!

Sputter May 22nd, 2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkuboy (Post 120324)
I just bought a couple of passes... Mrs. Monku actually wants to go, if you can believe that. See you over there!

Take some pictures man. It's a bit of a trip from Ont so maybe I can enjoy the event through you. :)

monkuboy May 22nd, 2011 8:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sputter (Post 120398)
Take some pictures man. It's a bit of a trip from Ont so maybe I can enjoy the event through you. :)

I plan on doing just that! ;)

monkuboy June 5th, 2011 4:16 PM

4 Attachment(s)
My wife and I went to the show on Saturday and had a great time. The Hsu room was our first stop - not only because it was a familiar brand and Pete is a great guy, but also we wanted the t-shirt, too. :D I've always had a high regard for the brand, company, and Pete so I made it a point to make a beeline to their room.

I attached four pictures - one shows the left side of the room and also the playback equipment; two shows a relaxed-looking fellow stretched out in a chair; three and four show some of the products they were exhibiting. Excuse the poor picture quality - it's not the camera, it's me. ;)

Pete demonstrated a couple of movie scenes to show off the VTF-15, including a scene from Star Wars (I think it was the 4th movie) and a scene from the Haunting. Let me tell you, the VTF-15 puts out some serious, room shaking but tight and clean bass. All my wife could say is "you don't need another subwoofer." True, I don't. I'm happy with my VTF-2 Mk 3 but it wouldn't be so bad to have the VTF-15, too. I had to ask Pete if he had more than one sub going, but he said it was just the VTF-15.

He also played some two-channel music, including a track from a Cheryl Bentyne CD I had brought. The HB-1 Mk II's in conjunction with the VTF-15 sounded very good - clean, and detailed, with a nice soundstage and instrument placement. The speakers had special discount pricing for the show which made them an even better value. The HB-1's were probably the least expensive speaker in the entire show but sound-wise they held their own and were better than many much more expensive models. My wife liked them, too, and also liked their appearance. She goes for wood over the piano black finish and kept saying how the piano black in the other rooms looked cheap (even though my own speakers are piano black).

The speakers were able to play loud without getting harsh. You can't touch them for the price and like I said, they compare very well with much more expensive speakers.

Something else I wanted to add - Hsu probably used the cheapest source/playback equipment at the show, too. This is not a knock on them by any means. Others were using really expensive CD players, computer files controlled with an iPad, esoteric tube preamps and amps, etc., along with cables the size of boa constrictors (I kid you not - some of the cables looked absolutely ridiculous) but Hsu used "basic" stuff and it sounded just fine. It goes to show you don't need to spend an arm and a leg to get really good sound.

Thank you for being such a gracious host, Pete! I hope you got to meet a lot of your customers and also acquired a lot more customers from the show.

Pete_Hsu June 5th, 2011 11:44 PM

It was a real pleasure to see you Rickie, and so nice to meet your wife too! Thank you so much for taking these great pictures. There was quite a nice turnout at the show, and I'm really happy to hear that the sound quality was good and that our demo material was enjoyable. I gave demos part of the time, but Dr. Hsu gave most of the demos. We are very thankful to everyone who came to our room!

Sincerely,

mentatgom June 6th, 2011 11:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My wife and I made our way to the HSU room later in the day Sunday. First thing my wife said to me was, "It feels like home." I must say it really did. We listened in a lot of rooms, and I partially did it that way on purpose. Where others were dark and cold, HSU's room was warm and inviting. HSU was on the forth floor at the end of the hall next to the stair way, and its no wonder! This room was definitely rocking and the bass was legendary. We left so many rooms wondering where did everything under 70Hz go? Well we found it at HSU. The Event planners must have known if HSU wasn't near the most fortified part of the building something was gona break. Here is my contribution to the event pictures [Dr. Hsu in the captain's seat]:
[Shown in attachments]

I think I might be slowly getting the wife on-board with a VTF-15 [Rosenut], HA, well we will see where that goes! Currently have VTF2-MK3 in Espresso.

I thought I would go ahead and throw in what I though was one of the best sounding setups at the show [MBL reference system]:
[Shown in attachments]

Thanks to everyone from HSU for making the show great [and enjoyable for my wife]!

Pete_Hsu June 6th, 2011 4:23 PM

Thanks for sharing these pics Brian, fantastic! It was so nice to see you and your wife, thank you for the kind words! My co-worker Leo told me earlier that one of the best sounding systems was, lo and behold, the MBL reference system! I am now kicking myself for not taking some time out to visit more rooms. :o

Pete_Hsu June 6th, 2011 4:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
By the way, I just wanted to let you guys know that Michael James from A Custom Electric in Los Angeles has posted some comments about our room at T.H.E. SHOW on the Audiophile Network on Facebook, see attached file.