View Single Post
Old March 30th, 2012, 9:14 AM

subpressure is on a distinguished road
Subwoofer placement (ear pressure)

I purchased a VTF2 MK4, and have been playing around with placement.

I ran audessey with one port open, Q = 0.7, EQ = 1. Afterwards, I closed the port, set Q = 0.3 and EQ = 1. After audessey, the volume (on the knob to get 75dB through Audessey) is set somewhere between the min and 9 o'clock position)

I have an open room, and placed the sub next to the couch (as was recommended in the instructions). Location X. I watched TV, at a fairly low volume for about an hour, and I could feel pressure in my left ear. The subwoofer is literally about 6" from the couch and about 1' from the listening position. (the speakers are on the walls and next to the TV, not in the diagram)

I moved the sub around, found a different location (but it's not great aesthetically, location Y). I tried position Y, but it protruded into the nearby room (I had to increase the volume by hand, I didn't re-run audessey) but I couldn't tell if there was pressure or not... (I didn't test it there long enough)

The listening area/TV area in the living room is 11ft by 15ft. The overall living room is 11ft by 23ft. (the drawing is not to scale)

It's not the loudness of the sub that's bothering me, it's the pressure my ears feel sitting next to it.

Any advice? Is it my settings on the subwoofer? Or is it placement?
Attached Images