View Single Post
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:29 AM

Anubisrocks is on a distinguished road
Got my first sub the VTF-1 Thank you Pete!

I have been looking for a sub since May 2009 and tested a few subs before including a $1300 Velodyne! However, the situations did not allow me to really turn up the heat on them.
Went to HSU HQ Tuesday evening to demo subs and complete my education in them.
Pete Hsu stayed late to allow me to come after work and do just that.
He educated me on subs and the important components. We decided on the VTF-1 to test.
We used only two bookshelf speakers and the sub. First we played some acoustic jazz with vocals and then some non-vocals and things sounded perfect, every note distinct, nice seperation, the works. Then I brought in the heavy caliber stuff: RUSH selections and a heavy bass pop selection. Loaded them in and cranked it. The VTF-1 was only at 1/4 power and didn't even break a sweat. In fact, I thought I heard say at one point "Is that all you got"?
Everything was crisp, clear, distinct, nice seperation, never any crashing, distortion, chuffing or any other anomaly. (1/4 power and it still moved the sofa I was sitting on (which was kind of distracting for music, but only because the ports where facing the back of the sofa).
In fact, I could not locate the sub! It sounded like the bass was in front! I have tower speakers at home and can just imagine the viseral effect I will get!
We did the same with movies and the results were the same with the addition of easily shaking the sofa and walls!
I love how you can switch between music mode and HT mode with the VTF line of subs.
What we pushed through the VTF-1 would have damaged most big box subs in the same price range. In fact, the $1300 Velodyne while a good sub did not sound as good as the VTF-1 for music at all. (Velodyne = too boomy and when backed off too subtle)
Just shows that high price does not a good sub make.
I can hardly wait to hook my sub up this weekend!

Thanks again Pete and HSU for providing high-end subs at prices that more can afford thus more folks enjoying their systems.