View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2004, 3:05 PM

Retread will become famous soon enoughRetread will become famous soon enough
Bare Wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wid
I was only referring to the plugs he bought from parts express.I did'nt use any plugs myself I just used bare wire.That was nice and simple and no worries about any plugs coming lose.Color coding is a good idea.
I also tried doing bare wire -- 12GA. Due to the jacks on the center-rear being recessed, there's not a straight shot through the holes in the sides. I found it impossible to thread un-tinned 12GA through the holes in pairs of jacks. I also found it impossible to feed tinned 12GA through the holes, so I cut off the tinned portion, trimmed the 12GA down to maybe 16GA, re-tinned it and used needle nose pliers to force each wire through the pairs of holes on the pairs of jacks. No way I'd have been able to force those through with the "jumpers" supplied with the speaker. After going through this a couple of times when I needed to rewire, I cut the ends off again and soldered the special Radio Shacks plugs onto the ends, using a 16GA pigtail to connect the second.

I suppose if one didn't anticipate changes, and one were using thinner wires, direct connecting would be OK.

As one who made his living building test equiment for a couple of years, I never use un-tinned stranded wire for hookup.

Why 12 GA? Big room -- long cable runs through the attic.