View Single Post
Old March 4th, 2014, 7:11 PM

SME is on a distinguished road
I'm glad you have things sounding good now! Did your consultant choose the sub location? I'm not sure any sub would perform very well where it was before.

I own an Emotiva XPA-5 200W/channel amp and am very satisfied with its performance. I can't speak for their pre-amp offerings, however, as I haven't used any them. I would be a bit more skeptical about them as I have seen a fair number of problem reports with some models. Also, the Emotiva pre-amps don't feature Audyssey room correction. If you're curious, you can try running your current system with Audyssey turned off to hear what you'd be missing.

The Emotiva UMC-200 has an auto-setup program that configures Parametric EQ (PEQ) settings based on measurements. While PEQ can address some room issues, it's not as powerful as Audyssey's time domain correction is, and it works better with manual measurement and configuration.

Emotiva will soon be shipping their XMC-1, which comes with Dirac room correction. Dirac does employ time-domain corrections and compete with if not exceed Audyssey, but that remains to be seen. If you choose to go this route, I suggest waiting for a few months to see what kind of problems people run into before committing to it.

If you're in a rush to add an external amp but don't want to give up Audyssey, another option is to look for a higher end Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, or Integra (there may be others too) that offers full 7.1 (or more) pre-amp outs in addition to Audyssey. I bought the Denon 3313CI specifically for this specific reason.