View Single Post
Old October 15th, 2004, 9:07 AM

Ted is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalchin
I just wanted to ask the group here about speaker stands for the fronts.
Any recomendations?
Hi,

As a new owner of a VT-12 system, I thought I should provide a note of caution about speaker stands for the VT-12 satellites:

IF YOUR STANDS USE THE THREADED INSERT(S) ON THE BACK OF THE SATELLITES, MAKE SURE THE THREAD SIZE ON THE STANDS MATCHES THE THREAD SIZE ON THE SPEAKERS.

In my case they did not. I bought the VT-12 system to upgrade the Sony satellites that came with our Home Theatre In A Box system. (I hope to upgrade the other components in the future, depending on $$$). I had been using some nice Bose speaker stands (Model No. USF-20) with the Sony satellites. These stands are very sleek and mount to speakers using a bracket/screw into the threaded insert on the back of the speakers.

Unfortunately for me, the threaded inserts on the VT-12 satellites are a larger thread size than on the Sony speakers. (One would think there would be an industry standard for this.) I found the proper size screws at my local hardware store, but they would not fit through the holes on the mounting bracket on the Bose stands. :-(

Luckily I have a set of precision files and was able to enlarge the holes on the Bose mounting brackets to accomodate the larger screws required for the VT-12 satellites. It was a lot of extra work, but the speakers look awesome on the stands, with no visible wires or mounting hardware.

Thus, if you are buying stands that will attached to the threaded insert(s) on the VT-12 satellites, be sure to check to make sure the stands and the speakers are compatible.

-Ted