View Single Post
Old April 5th, 2007, 4:59 AM

feisty is on a distinguished road
Question Interesting statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by lradden View Post
Yep give 60Hz a try. One way to judge a good spot for your crossover is to set the crossover one octave higher than the extension of the speakers. For 28Hz that would be 56Hz so 60Hz should be great. Setting the crossover at least one octave above the speakers extension leaves room for rolloff since we know crossovers slope and drop off gradually and not just all at once. My mains go down to 30Hz and I run a 60Hz crossover and the sub and mains blend better than at 80Hz in my system. Give it a try the main thing is not to set it too low, because that could damage your speakers during big action movies like WOTW, so I wouldn't go lower than 60Hz.
Interesting comment. How could you damage your speakers by setting the crossover too low? Does not the receiver drive the mains and the subwoofer amp drive the subwoofer? My concern stems from setting my mains to "large" even with the subwoofer (due to midbass problems). It would seem I run a risk based upon your comment. If you could expand upon your comment I would appreciate it. Thanks.