HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Setup and Placement Recommendations
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 1st, 2018, 10:08 AM

davenlei is on a distinguished road
Dual Sub Settings (VTF15H-MK2 and VTF3-MK2)

I have the VTF15H-MK2 and and older VTF3-MK2 along with CCB-8's. I am running a Yamaha RX-A1070 Aventage receiver.

My room dimensions are 16' wide, 16'deep and 18' high flat ceiling. The room does open up on one side and the rear to other living spaces so if I take the openings into consideration, the room dimensions would be 45' wide, 35' deep and 16' high on average for most of the space.

My listening position is about 10' from the front wall and screen with the VTF-15H sub in the front right corner of the room about 14' from the seating position. The VTF3 is nearfield and about 5' from the seating position.

My movies to music split is about 50/50 and I tend to like things a bit more bass heavy compared to neutral.

Based on those rough details, what EQ/port and Q settings should I have the VTF15 and the VTF3 subs? I am assuming they will be a bit different since one is in the corner an one is near field. In addition, ole is a 12 and the other a 15.

Last edited by davenlei : June 1st, 2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old June 1st, 2018, 4:58 PM
Administrator

Kevin_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Yea it really depends on what you are trying to do. Since they are different gain stages, try running the VTF-3 Mk2 with two ports open, EQ 2 and the VTF-15H Mk2 in one port open mode EQ 1, Q.7 to start.
Old June 4th, 2018, 5:19 PM

Thanks Kevin. I will try those settings.

I am trying to achieve a combination of deep bass but also have that mid bass punch with the two subs.

I am assuming these settings would set the VTF15 for the deep bass and the VTF3 for the mid bass punch since it is smaller and is also near field to the sitting position.

Last edited by davenlei : June 5th, 2018 at 8:46 AM.
Old June 5th, 2018, 5:03 PM
Administrator

Kevin_Hsu is on a distinguished road
100% correct. 2 ports open also increases the efficiency of the VTF-3 Mk2 so it can give you more clean output than 1 port open mode.
Old June 20th, 2018, 10:50 AM

Kevin,

I tried your setup and it is working great! I get strong deep bass that does not bottom out and I get that punchy mid bass feel in my seat.

It actually works so well I think I will need to dial back my subs a few db now to not overpower the rest of the sound.