HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 12th, 2017, 6:15 PM

Mrloren is on a distinguished road
VTF2-MK5 or VTF3-MK5

Hello,

My current sub is a VTF2-MK3. It still works well with no issues.

My first HSU was a STF2 which I still have in the bedroom. It matched my Polk RTi4 nice and still does. I upgraded my speakers to Rti8 and the STF2 sounded a little lagging so I got the VTF2-MK3.

Now I have a nice new set of Polk Signatures S60 and my VTF2 is just a tad off with keeping up with the speakers.

I am looking at either going with the new VTF2-MK5 or should I go for broke and get the VTF3-MK5? As you can see the room is open. I am about 70% Movies right now but that can change quick if the mother in-law ever moves out.

These pictures are my front sound stage. Sub is tucked in the corner on the right. Yes most of the mantel is superglued down. I can move everything left 2" to fit the width of the VTF3. I know about the stuffed animals onto of the sub, it does have to have the WAF. The plant is fake too.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mrloren : April 12th, 2017 at 6:18 PM. Reason: add some more
Old April 13th, 2017, 3:55 PM

To re-phrase the question,

The VTF2-MK5 has 100 more watts than my older MK3. Will the different design and more power be a lot more output than my MK3

Judging by my room pictures would a VTF3-MK5 be over kill if there is such a thing in bass?
Old April 13th, 2017, 4:49 PM
Administrator

Kevin_Hsu is on a distinguished road
How do you have your current VTF-2 Mk3 set? What are you looking to get more of?
Old April 13th, 2017, 9:36 PM

Running it in two ports open.

I like deep slamming bass for my movies. The volume level on my Marantz SR5010 is mostly between -20db to -15db. When I crank on my 70's/80' rock I will take it up to -10db at times.
Old April 14th, 2017, 3:11 PM
Administrator

Where do you set the volume control on the sub and what is your LFE channel level set to?
Old April 14th, 2017, 9:08 PM

Sub volume is at around 9 o-clock. LFE is set @ 120. When I got the new signature speakers I ran Audyssey and adjusted the sub volume till audyssey set the sub and speakers the same. When I ran Audyssey I switched to 1 port open and put the plug in. Once I had Audyssey set I pulled the plug and switched back to two ports open.

I am not trying to troubleshoot my sub. My system sounds good right now, just the sub is being out classed by my speakers. It could also be the little green man in my head saying "New speakers new sub".

I am looking at which one more or less to get. If the VTF2-MK5 is 30% more output then I might get that. I am more leaning to the VTF3-MK5. The main thing is I don't want to overkill my system if there is such a thing.
Old April 17th, 2017, 4:25 PM
Administrator

I understand. I'm just trying to see where you're coming from. The VTF-2 Mk5 would be a pretty good upgrade that would likely get you there, though 9 o'clock isn't really that high for the VTF-2 Mk4. Also, I would make sure that the AVR is setting your speakers to small with the crossover around 80 Hz. If it sets your speakers to large or sets the crossover too low, that can affect the amount of slam the sub delivers. The VTF-3 Mk5 HP would be more like having 3 of the VTF-2 Mk4's put together, so that would be a pretty substantial upgrade. The benefit of having a big sub is that it would be able to give you more clean headroom than the smaller sub so it would compress less and give you less distortion at higher output levels. That would mean better accuracy and wider dynamic range.
Old April 17th, 2017, 5:21 PM

Cool thanks,

I will be calling to order within the next week. The VTF2-MK5 takes up about the same foot print my older MK3 does. How much bigger of a foot print does the VTF3-MK5 have? Can you please post a side by side photo?

BTW I have a VTF2-MK3.
Old April 19th, 2017, 4:42 PM
Administrator

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1492562436

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1492562515
Old April 20th, 2017, 7:33 PM

Cool thanks for the side by side, looks like a VTF3 will fit nice in the right corner on my HT setup. Don't think the wife will notice too much either. Maybe have to move everything an inch or two left.
Old April 30th, 2017, 4:18 PM

Here is the HT now with the VTF3-MK5

Man this sub slams
Attached Images

Old May 1st, 2017, 4:22 PM
Administrator

Looks good to me! How's the sub?
Old May 1st, 2017, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Hsu View Post
Looks good to me! How's the sub?
Thank you Kevin,

The VTF3 vs. my old VTF2 is night and day. I am not saying the VTF2-MK3 was a bad sub, not at all. but for my week of owning this I've had a little time with it. Not enough to wear it in.

For movies I've watched it has been great,

Edge of Tomorrow, this is one of the only movies that brought my VTF2 to it's knees even had port noise I had to grab the remote to turn it down. VTF3 just shook the house and asked for more.

New Underworld flick was just awesome.

La La Land didn't have much deep bass but when asked the sub just rocked it.

For music I didn't think a 15" could sound so tight,

Rush Moving Pictures played great. A lot more musical than my VTF2.

Queensrych Empire was just fantastic

Worlds greatest audiophile SACD was just amazing such smooth bass all the way through. I just hit replay all morning Sunday.

This sub blends very well with my Polk Signature S60 on both HT and music.

One question I do have on the sub.

The power cord it shipped with is 18awg. This sub can suck in a lot of power. I have a couple of 14awg computer power cords sitting around. Can I use one of these for it?
Old May 2nd, 2017, 4:10 PM
Administrator

Glad to hear the VTF-3 Mk5 HP is working out well! The 18 awg is suitable for the power draw of the sub. You can certainly use a lower gauge for it, though.