HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 17th, 2017, 11:34 AM

glassetcher is on a distinguished road
Mate for STF-2

Which of the current HSU subs would be a good mate for my STF-2 in a 2 sub configuration? The new sub will be a part of a 7.2.4 home theater setup. I'm thinking of the VTF2-MK5, unless you think that would be a really bad idea..... BTW, it will be driven by a Denon 4300 that has Audyssey LFC which balances each subwoofer individually. I hope this would help mitigate the differences.

Last edited by glassetcher : August 17th, 2017 at 2:50 PM.
Old August 21st, 2017, 4:23 PM
Administrator

Kevin_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Hi there,

Probably the closest in performance to the STF-2 would be the VTF-1 Mk3. That should work well. You could also use the VTF-2 Mk5 HP but it may be a bit harder to integrate them as their gain stages are significantly different and you may run into bottleneck issues.
Old August 23rd, 2017, 12:29 PM

Hi Kevin, thanks for getting back to me. I was thinking of the VTF 2 MK5 in order to upgrade to a 12 inch woofer. Then in the future when I want to upgrade again I could trade out the STF 2 for another VTF 2 12 incher or something comparable at the time. What exactly do you mean by a bottleneck issue?
Old August 23rd, 2017, 3:45 PM
Administrator

You could do that. That's a valid approach if you're looking to trade out the STF-2. Bottleneck means that you're only as strong as your weakest component, so in the case that you have two subs with different gain structures, the one that is the weakest of the two will limit how loud you can play. In this case the STF-2 will hit its limits earlier than the VTF-2 Mk5 will, so it would be a bit challenging to integrate both such that you can maximize the potential out of both subs. However, Ii will say that it will likely not be any worse than running two STF-2's together in the room.
Old August 24th, 2017, 8:48 AM

Thanks Kevin,
I have ordered the VTF-2 Mk5. The added low range extension just appears to be too good to pass up. Hopefully it and my STF-2 will play nice together. It will be interesting to see how the Audyssey calibration on my Denon AVR deals with them.
Old August 25th, 2017, 4:19 PM
Administrator

No problem. Thank you! Yea they should play well. Just be open to try out different placements.
Old August 26th, 2017, 9:48 AM

Kevin, please see p.m. I sent you regarding warranty.
Thanks