HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Setup and Placement Recommendations
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 15th, 2020, 2:08 PM

jlm86 is on a distinguished road
Sub behind listener?

I have been using Dr hsu's recommendation of my VTF-15 behind the listening position for quite some time..

I've discussed this position with quite a few people and they find it unbelievable that anyone would do that.

I'm wondering how many people on the forum actually have that placement?

For me it turns out that the unit is so big that seems to be the best place for it anyway...
Old November 16th, 2020, 3:08 PM
Administrator

Kevin_Hsu is on a distinguished road
It really depends on the home, but I know quite a few of our customers that do it. Actually depending on the distance from various walls, I end up recommending that as the primary placement position. If not nearfield placement, many times placing the sub on the back wall can also provide a better response overall than the front wall.
Old November 19th, 2020, 3:54 AM

INFRASUB is on a distinguished road
I have a vtf 15 right behind my couch, it is about 8feet from the nearest wall so I guess it would be near field for me. It works in conjunction with 4 12in large infinite baffle subs in the front two corners of the room. It seems to smooth out the overall lows and provides a boost to the impact of the sound.I have used it alone and it works pretty well as long as you are within 3 or 4 feet. If you move farther away bass diminishes.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 10:10 AM
Opinionated Member

Sorny is on a distinguished road
I ran about 16 years with 2 subs behind me in the rear corners of the room with no localization issues; this was a pair of TN1220HO subs. They were a good 15' from the listening position.

Now, I have the twin TN1220HO subs on the front wall at 1/4 and 3/4 positions, and a pair of VTF-15H Mk2 subs on the rear wall at 1/4 and 3/4 positions.

A sub behind the listener is more common than you'd think if people put the sub where it works best instead of what looks best... If you place a sub based on looks, you're pretty likely to end up with sub-par bass; pardon the pun.
Old November 24th, 2020, 9:31 PM

Rebelrevolver is on a distinguished road
Keep in mind the people you are talking to, how knowledgeable are they and when you have the creator and designer telling you their thoughts on best placement, I'd go with that. Subs behind the listening position is very common, worked great for me and much better than up front. I however did add a 2nd vtf3 up front to even out lulls and smooth the bass for the room.