HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 23rd, 2008, 8:40 PM

spudnick is on a distinguished road
Witch WSU sub?

My system isn't the top of the line, but I would like to have the best sound (bass), I can get for know. Used for home theater and music (more music). Currently system is:
Onkyo TXSR 506
Monitor 50's-fronts
CS2-center
TSI 100-backs
PSW10-sub
The sub will be switched out first. Room size is 15'x15'. Looking for advice on witch sub? Would like to have BIG bass for music and home theater. Thanks for any and all advice.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 8:59 PM

wuzzzer is on a distinguished road
I believe the ULS-15 is the sub of choice for the witches of the world.

http://www.weathervanesculpture.com/...s/wv_witch.jpg
Old December 23rd, 2008, 9:39 PM

Sorry man, that witch is to rich for my blood............
Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:12 PM

nottaway is on a distinguished road
My living room is 15x15 and opens into the kitchen which is 15x20 and the 3.3 works pretty well in there. I would love to have another 3.3 but everyone who hears it says "man you don't need any more bass."
Old December 24th, 2008, 8:29 AM

phatster is on a distinguished road
Go with the 3.3 + turbo...........if you must have B A S S .........Actually I listen to music only with my 2.3+turbo and it is fills my every need for bass{I'm bass player}.
Old December 24th, 2008, 11:22 AM

Phatster and nottaway. Thanks for the advice. Not sure what the 3.3 is. Maybe the VTF-3 MK3? Thanks.
Old December 24th, 2008, 12:12 PM

kmitchell is on a distinguished road
Spudnick,

Assuming you have 8' ceilings in your 15x15 room I'd think the VTF2-MK3 would be a good choice for you. If you really need to go deeper than 18Hz then go with the VTF3-MK3 with Turbo but that's a lot of output for your room size. Then again, you can never have too much bass. I have a 2.3 running in max extension mode and it works very well for me in my 14'x18' ft room.

Ken
Old December 24th, 2008, 4:18 PM

+1 what kmitchell said,get the 2.3 and add the turbo later.....that's what I did! Good luck!
Old December 24th, 2008, 4:24 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Hi spudnick,

What high are your ceilings? Does your room open to any other areas of the house, and if so, what are the dimensions of those areas?

Do you have any particular budget in mind for subwoofer?

Thanks!
Old December 24th, 2008, 6:09 PM

Hey Pete, Merry Christmas. The ceilings are 8'. I have 2 doorways from the room. One to the kitchen and the other to a hallway. Budget, is what the wife will let me get away with. For the sub, 300-500ish. If its totally kick ass, I would sell some of my other toys. Also, will my Onkyo TXSR 506 be enough for a bigger sub our will I need a extra amp? Thanks.......

Last edited by spudnick : December 24th, 2008 at 8:08 PM.
Old December 24th, 2008, 8:26 PM

There was 1 other thing that could be important. The room has all hard wood floors. Would this change anything?
Old December 24th, 2008, 9:34 PM

dafeist is on a distinguished road
__| |________| |__

Sorry about the poor diagram. Computer graphic artist I am not. Spudnick is my FIL and Im helping him dial in his home theater. the room is a basic square about 15x15x8. the two doorways are standard size and always open. One on the left is a hallway. One on the right is the kitchen which is narrow, similar to the hallway. The sub will be placed against the middle wall somewhere between the doorways. Corner or nearfield placement is not an option. Hardwood floors all around (will place a carpet pad under any bottom-firing sub). He's not in need of anything sub 20hz. Just clean bass for music and movies thatll rumble when needed. Listens to rock, no rap. With that room size, I thought the STF-2 would do well with a quicker response for rock music but still the ability to rattle the wife's teacups in the cabinet. Pete or anyone else, thoughts?
Old December 25th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Hsu Research

Thanks for the info, spudnik and dafeist!

I suppose that you can get by with a 10" subwoofer...

Using that Onkyo receiver would be just fine!

I take it that your subwoofer will have to be placed in between the left and right main speakers, correct? Do you have space to eventually add a second identical true subwoofer?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Sincerely,

Last edited by Pete_Hsu : December 25th, 2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old December 26th, 2008, 7:44 AM

Thanks Pete for your assistance. The stereo is against the wall between the 2 door ways (dafeist diagram). Sub is next to left speaker. Maybe able to move sub against left wall but would require a little innovation as said before, all hard wood floors and a door way. The simplest would be run sub or subs next to stereo (facing listener) but probably not the most ideal. The other thing would be run power lines under house to get to back of room. For the right sound, i would consider this and a second sub. Thanks.
Old December 26th, 2008, 4:28 PM
Hsu Research

Thanks spudnik, have a Very Happy New Year!
Old December 26th, 2008, 5:40 PM

So Pete, what is your suggestion to my previous post? Spud.
Old December 26th, 2008, 6:04 PM
Hsu Research

spud, I would just try to keep it as far from the openings as possible. But if it has to be closer to one opening or the other, it's better to keep the sub closer to the left side, since the opening is only to a hallway.

Sincerely,
Old December 26th, 2008, 6:23 PM

So, should I go with the STF2 or the VTF2 MK3? Would the 2.3 be a better choice for music? How would the 2.3 compare to a Polk DSW500? Spud.
Old December 27th, 2008, 8:34 AM

As I stated previously you can get by with the 2.3,if you are lacking LOW notes add the turbo.....Pete indicated the turbos are almost gone......My room is about third bigger than yours!
Old December 27th, 2008, 10:48 AM

kmitchell is on a distinguished road
Hi Spud,

We've been giving you advise on subs based on performance but it sounds like you have some physical constraints to work with. I have to tell you that Pete is always a nice guy so when he says "I suppose you can get by with a 10" subwoofer..." he really means you should consider something a bit bigger for your room size and layout. The thing you need to consider about the VTF2.3 is the fact that it is "pretty big" (check the dimensions compared to the STF-2) so it may not fit well along side your mains.

You mentioned that you could run power lines under the house but if you have an outlet on one of the back walls all you need to run is the signal coax between the Onkyo and the subwoofer.

As far as comparing subs I think the STF-2 is more comparable to the DSW500. In my opinion the VTF2.3 would blow away the DSW500.

Hope this helps,
Ken
Old December 28th, 2008, 7:36 PM

dafeist is on a distinguished road
OK, I just got wiring his 5.1 system tonight and ran the Audisey program from his onkyo. Made sure his dvd output DD, made sure the onkyo was playing DD and put in Dark Knight. From the first scene it was apparent that the little Polk 10 wasnt going to get the job done. I hadnt even bumped it 3 db's hot like I normally do and it was already port chuffing.

I think a 2.3 may be showing up in the future...
Sony PS3 (bluray and music server)
Energy Veritas (all the way around)
HSU VTF-3 HO w/turbo