HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Setup and Placement Recommendations
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 15th, 2009, 2:42 PM

articulo31 is on a distinguished road
Smile Suggestions on Receivers

Hey guys, I am new to home audio...but have been reading up on these speakers online and I am really excited to take the plunge and get the enthusiast 3!! I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on a good receiver to pair with these speakers. I have kinda browsed the forum and haven't really found any suggestions. Hopefully I am not posting that has already been discussed.
Old January 15th, 2009, 8:59 PM

tdekany will become famous soon enoughtdekany will become famous soon enough
I'd go for Pioneer elite.
Old January 16th, 2009, 6:03 AM

Gov0525 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdekany View Post
I'd go for Pioneer elite.
+1!
Old January 16th, 2009, 12:28 PM

ok, i have taken your considerations into account...and have come up with 3 finalist. can you guys help me out with the pro/cons of these receivers? they are all in the same price range:

Sony STR-DA3400ES

Yamaha RX-V863

Pioneer Elite VSX-03TXH
Old January 16th, 2009, 12:38 PM

monkuboy is on a distinguished road
To possibly add to your quandry, have you considered Onkyo? I have used their products since 1994 and have been very happy. I currently have their 706 model, although the 806 wold be comparable to the Yamaha you listed and a lot cheaper (on Amazon, anyway). I would take Onkyo over Yamaha or Sony any day. I have no experience with Pioneer, though.
________
Marijuana dispensary

Last edited by monkuboy : March 8th, 2011 at 7:17 PM.
Old January 16th, 2009, 1:43 PM

i have considered the onkyo brand, but I ruled it out because many users have experienced blue particles when passing 1080p through the receiver. Have you had this experience or heard anything about it monkuboy?
Old January 16th, 2009, 5:27 PM

BrianM is on a distinguished road
Smile I was in the same boat

I ended up recently buying the Onkyo TX-SR806. I read all the reviews about the video pass-through problems but still decided to go with it because of the value for the money. I bought it on crutchfield for $699. I could find it cheaper on other sites, but I went with crutchfield because they have a great return policy that will not cost the customer anything. I ran a blue-ray player as well as other video through all inputs (HDMI, component, s-video, composite) with great results. I am happy with it even though it does run hot, but I have a fan system in my audio cabinet. If you decide to give it a shot, just make sure you buy from a reputable company with a good return policy. I was very leery because of the same reviews you read, but now I am happy!
Old January 16th, 2009, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by articulo31 View Post
i have considered the onkyo brand, but I ruled it out because many users have experienced blue particles when passing 1080p through the receiver. Have you had this experience or heard anything about it monkuboy?
I don't run the video through the receiver so I'm afraid I have no experience with that problem (I've read about it as well). I connect my 1080p sources directly to the TV via HDMI, and run the audio through the receiver. I'm very happy with the 706. Good luck with your choice!
________
Ford C170 Platform

Old January 19th, 2009, 3:29 PM

its settled!!

hey guys thanks for all your suggestions. after much debate, i decided to take a chance on the onkyo tx-sr806. hopefully i won't get those nasty blue artifacts. I also ordered the enthusiast 3 and am very excited!! i'll post some pics when i get everything set up. thanks again!
Old January 19th, 2009, 7:06 PM

Good luck with the new receiver! I have had nothing but good experience with Onkyo and given the low prices on the 806 now, I think it is worth a try.
________
Vaporizer Review

Old January 19th, 2009, 8:22 PM

nottaway is on a distinguished road
I ended up with a pioneer elite 03thx, but I think its curious that Hsu recommends the Onkyos specifically, but uses Pioneer in their demo room. I like both, just ended up with the Pio, I wonder why this is?
Old January 20th, 2009, 11:30 AM

mrcoop is on a distinguished road
marantz 7002