HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 10th, 2009, 10:08 PM

rabbit is on a distinguished road
Dent in center of speaker?

Well, while unwrapping my new STF-1, one of my little ones decided that the speaker looked like a big button and pushed in the middle part of the speaker

I've still been using the subwoofer and it sounds like it's still working but... how much difference is this going to make to the sound or durability? Also if I wanted to replace the speaker part, about how much would it cost?
Old January 11th, 2009, 11:21 AM

wuzzzer is on a distinguished road
The dust cover doesn't affect the sound at all. One trick many have used is to put the end of your vacuum hose on the dust cover and turn the vacuum on. It will pop the cover back out. I would highly discourage you from buying a new woofer.
Old January 11th, 2009, 12:10 PM

nottaway is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Well, while unwrapping my new STF-1, one of my little ones decided that the speaker looked like a big button and pushed in the middle part of the speaker

I've still been using the subwoofer and it sounds like it's still working but... how much difference is this going to make to the sound or durability? Also if I wanted to replace the speaker part, about how much would it cost?
If the material has not been compromised then durability and sound should not be affected too much. The vaccum trick is worth a try.

When my son was 2 he pushed in all 3 mids on 2 of my Pioneer 4ways. I vaccumed the larger ones out, but the smaller never came back out, and I never heard the difference. It did suck to look at all my cones all crumpled in though.
Old January 11th, 2009, 7:54 PM

rabbit is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies! It's nice to know that it doesn't really affect the speaker much - the dust cap is still in one piece (no holes).

I tried the vacuum trick with the household vac just now but the dent is bigger than the hose diameter so I couldn't really get a decent seal. I'll give it a go with the shop vac or some other contraption later this week.

If that doesn't work, I'll probably just ignore it and chalk it up to experience.

I should have known better, a few years back when my son was just learning to to walk he went around and took all the covers off the (admittedly cheap) teac's in the room and dented in all the tweeters and broke all the dust caps on the woofers . I'm just happy that he didn't find any small pieces to eat .
Old January 12th, 2009, 7:01 PM

Bori is on a distinguished road
With the smaller dents you might want to use scotch tape to get the dents out. Apply the tape over the small dent and pull the tape gently and that should do the trick.
Old January 16th, 2009, 3:43 PM

amdeutsch is on a distinguished road
Another trick you could use is to take a small needle, stick it in kind of sideways and lift. If you are successful in pulling it out that way go get some nail polish and put a small drop over the hole. Might look better than a dent. HTH