HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 12th, 2009, 4:59 AM

cacihome is on a distinguished road
Fixing the audio problem with PS3

Hi all,

Yesterday, I did some tests in some friend's house and we found out something that will make very happy most of the guys that have a PS3...

Long story short... Here it comes...

Maybe some of you already know this, but this post goes to the ones that does not.

In the Playstation sub menu, while playing a movie, press (triangle button), then go to the internal volume(speaker icon) of the Playstation3, and raise it to its max volume...All compression audio issues will be long gone...Apparently it was compressing the audio a lot and this internal gain fixes the issue.

By making this change the PS3 will offer, subjectively, the same SQ as any other BD player I have heard.

Take care and hope it serves the community,

Last edited by cacihome : January 12th, 2009 at 7:18 AM.
Old January 12th, 2009, 8:24 AM

mmarki is on a distinguished road
Thanks, my brother-in-law has a PS3 and I will tell him about that. He hasn't complained about sound quality yet, but I want him to have the best sound quality he can have.
Old January 12th, 2009, 8:26 AM

Sure.
Old January 12th, 2009, 9:18 AM
Ask for a demo

lradden is on a distinguished road
Raising the PS3 internal volume to +1 for internally decoded material will allow the PS3 internal volume to equal the same level as when a receiver is doing the decoding. Going past +1 has been tested to show distortion in the signal and also sets the internal volume louder than that of an externally decoded receiver. +1 is the apples to apples volume setting.

Old January 12th, 2009, 8:08 PM

wuzzzer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lradden View Post
Raising the PS3 internal volume to +1 for internally decoded material will allow the PS3 internal volume to equal the same level as when a receiver is doing the decoding. Going past +1 has been tested to show distortion in the signal and also sets the internal volume louder than that of an externally decoded receiver. +1 is the apples to apples volume setting.
Cool, good to know. I usually kept mine at normal. I think now there's 8 or 9 different volume levels available where previous firmware versions only allowed 5. I'll try the +1 and see how it works.
I have heard others say that having the volume level increased too high does cause signal distortion like you mentioned.
Old January 14th, 2009, 6:42 AM

Quote:

Nice. Thanks Iradden.
Will try that!
Old January 15th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Ask for a demo

Guys don't thank me too quick. I typed +1 as being the apples to apples setting it's actually +2. A while back I did an SPL comparison with an SPL meter of the settings and +2 came out to the exact SPL on the PS3 as the receiver.

Sorry for typing +1 guys. To test it play a movie and hit triangle and toggle over to the video settings. At the bottom is Bitstream and LPCM. Switch between the two and you'll notice they sound exactly the same.

Old January 16th, 2009, 4:36 AM

Ok. Cool.
I was starting to wonder.Because I tried +1 and didn't improve as much.
Will try the +2..
Old January 16th, 2009, 9:25 PM

wuzzzer is on a distinguished road
There's a FAQ thread over on AVSForum about the PS3. Setting the audio to +1 was their recommendation and they had several good recommendations as to the various video settings that are adjustable as well.
Old January 17th, 2009, 11:32 AM

a3plew is on a distinguished road
The ps3 now can go passed +2. so you would recommended +2. What about the volume setting for listening to music. Are there any settings you guys can recommend for the xbox 360 audio settings ?
Old January 17th, 2009, 1:23 PM
Ask for a demo

Even though can go higher anything past +2 will cause distortion and not be an SPL match for the internal volume of a receiver or pre amp. It's basically a digital gain control and the PS3 default gain of 0 is too low so +2 is all that is needed to equal the receiver or pre amps gain. All you're trying to do is make sure the PS3's internal decoding SPL is the same as the receivers internal decoding. Once you do this decoding ni the PS3 will sound exactly the same as decoding in the receiver. Most people think the receiver sounds better doing the decoding, but it's really just because it's louder. Level match them and they both sound the same no matter which one is doing the decoding. We tend to perceive louder as better.

Last edited by lradden : January 19th, 2009 at 4:30 PM.
Old January 19th, 2009, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Even though can go higher anything past +2 will cause distortion and not be an SPL match for the internal volume of a receiver or pre amp. It's basically a digital gain control and the PS3 default gain of 0 is too low so +2 is all that is needed to equal the receiver or pre amps gain. All you're trying to do is make sure the PS3's internal decoding SPL is the same as the receivers internal decoding. Once to do this decoding ini the PS3 will sound exactly the same as decoding in the receiver. Most people think the receiver sounds better doing the decoding, but it's really just because it's louder. Level match them and they both sound the same no matter which one is doing the decoding. We tend to perceive louder as better.
Yep.
Old January 19th, 2009, 3:41 PM

FrostyMelon is on a distinguished road
Is this for bitstream, PCM, or both?
Old January 19th, 2009, 7:40 PM
Ask for a demo

The PS3 volume/gain setting only applies to LPCM. Bitstream uses the receiver or pre-amps gain. If your using bitstream and letting the receiver decode the HD audio you don't have to worry about this.

Old January 19th, 2009, 8:27 PM

nottaway is on a distinguished road
Thats good info.......wish I were home to try it.
Old January 20th, 2009, 4:49 AM

The ps3 won't bitstream the HD audio...Only the old DD and DTS formats...
Old January 20th, 2009, 8:19 AM
Ask for a demo

Thanks cacihome, I forgot to mention that. I always forget there's still alot of people who don't know that the PS3 cannot bitstream HD audio.

Old January 20th, 2009, 11:28 AM

mrcoop is on a distinguished road
I noticed that when I first started using the ps3. I thought there was something wrong, but found the correction that you discovered. Good info to post...thanks