HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 21st, 2009, 4:18 PM

Gov0525 is on a distinguished road
Thinking about EQing my 3.3

I run my 3.3 in MO and here is a link to the FR in my room:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post15607990

Based of that graph, I am seriously considering the anti-mode 8033. The information I received from an anti-mode rep was that based on my numbers, was this, "bring down the 30-40 Hz range. You can also use 15-25Hz lifting mode on 8033 to bring up the lower end."

Would it be okay to use that lifting mode on the 8033? I don't want to fry anything on the amp.

Thanks
Old January 21st, 2009, 6:27 PM

bsoko is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov0525 View Post
I run my 3.3 in MO and here is a link to the FR in my room:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post15607990

Based of that graph, I am seriously considering the anti-mode 8033. The information I received from an anti-mode rep was that based on my numbers, was this, "bring down the 30-40 Hz range. You can also use 15-25Hz lifting mode on 8033 to bring up the lower end."

Would it be okay to use that lifting mode on the 8033? I don't want to fry anything on the amp.

Thanks
I have the 8033 and two 3.3's with matching MBM's. I have used both the 15 to 25, and 25 to 35 lift with no problems and you can pick up an extra 3 db on LFE bass. My room is over 6000 cu ft so the 8033 works just fine. Don't run your subs too hot and I run my subs flat with the rest of the speakers.

Bill
Old January 21st, 2009, 7:28 PM

wuzzzer is on a distinguished road
Its generally recommended to use any equalization to lower peaks rather than raise 'valleys'. Use caution if you do.
Old January 21st, 2009, 9:19 PM

nottaway is on a distinguished road
The graph I was looking at seems as though you would benefit from the ME mode. This should help flatten you out in the 16-25 range, and might help tame mount rushmore @ 31.5. That peak happens right after the rolloff in MO mode. Maybe a lot of headroom on reserve due to the digital limitation, and after rolloff, that spike @31.5?

The graph looks like the low end is really suffering. The average spl looks to be about 100db(est.), and down 17db @16Hz seems to beg for ME mode to me.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottaway View Post
The graph I was looking at seems as though you would benefit from the ME mode. This should help flatten you out in the 16-25 range, and might help tame mount rushmore @ 31.5. That peak happens right after the rolloff in MO mode. Maybe a lot of headroom on reserve due to the digital limitation, and after rolloff, that spike @31.5?

The graph looks like the low end is really suffering. The average spl looks to be about 100db(est.), and down 17db @16Hz seems to beg for ME mode to me.
I will post my ME numbers later today, they do flatten the 16-25hz range quite a bit, but I still have the peak in the low 30's. In ME it almost completely removes the small peak in the 56hz range.
The only problem is my room is 16' X 18' X 8' wide open to a kitchen about the same size. When I use ME I really seem to lose the "ummph" and at higher volumes I get chuffing with the first track of the HSU demo CD.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:34 AM

Here are my numbers in ME mode:

16hz=104.5
18hz=104
20hz=101.5
22hz=101.5
25hz=106
28hz=107
31.5hz=111
36hz=103

Then after that up to 100hz the numbers are down 2-3db from the MO graph.
Now keep in mind that the db numbers I quoted above are not the actual values I hit on the SPL meter. They don't take into consideration any compression that I am sure I would get closer to 0db MV. Those numbers, as were, the numbers in MO mode were corrected and +20db was added because the readings were taken at -20db MV.
Does that make any sense?
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:12 PM

Bill S is on a distinguished road
Gov I would get REW up and running. It makes the measurement take seconds. You can experiment with all kinds of things, cross over, placement..... in ten minutes then go to the data and analyze the results. The graphs help "see" things more easily.

I resisted getting the External sound card I needed for a while. After I did it was a "what was I thinking" moment.
Running tones for hours is not a lot of fun in my book.

If you get any type of EQ you are going to want to see the before and after. EQ also does not mean you don't need to worry about placement.

Off the soapbox.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:22 PM

nottaway is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov0525 View Post
Here are my numbers in ME mode:

16hz=104.5
18hz=104
20hz=101.5
22hz=101.5
25hz=106
28hz=107
31.5hz=111
36hz=103

Then after that up to 100hz the numbers are down 2-3db from the MO graph.
Now keep in mind that the db numbers I quoted above are not the actual values I hit on the SPL meter. They don't take into consideration any compression that I am sure I would get closer to 0db MV. Those numbers, as were, the numbers in MO mode were corrected and +20db was added because the readings were taken at -20db MV.
Does that make any sense?
I doubt you will be able to raise the valleys to match the peaks on the MO graph. Either way to get a flat response you will have to give up some mid bass or "slam." I felt the same way when evaluating my configuration, the MO mode just seemed louder. However my response graph in ME mode was much like yours flatter overall with less spl in the midbass region.

Take an average SPL of your responses throughout the freq range. This will give you an idea of output throughout the range, you might even find that average spl was greater in ME mode, I did.

I also like standard deviation as a tool to assign some value to the up and down of the graph.

Anyhow, I ended up in ME mode. I concluded I just needed another 3.3.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottaway View Post
I concluded I just needed another 3.3.
If my room allowed for it, that would be ideal!

Between 16hz-80hz I am up about 2db in ME mode
Between 20hz-80hz I am up about 2db in MO mode

As pete has said may times before, its all about trade offs
Old January 22nd, 2009, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill S View Post
Gov I would get REW up and running. It makes the measurement take seconds. You can experiment with all kinds of things, cross over, placement..... in ten minutes then go to the data and analyze the results. The graphs help "see" things more easily.

I resisted getting the External sound card I needed for a while. After I did it was a "what was I thinking" moment.
Running tones for hours is not a lot of fun in my book.

If you get any type of EQ you are going to want to see the before and after. EQ also does not mean you don't need to worry about placement.

Off the soapbox.
I really need to learn more about this REW stuff. Thanks!
Old January 22nd, 2009, 1:31 PM

Bori is on a distinguished road
I EQed my subs with a BFD and have never looked back. It was the best 70 bucks I have spent. By the way I used REW with the BFD.