HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Setup and Placement Recommendations
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 22nd, 2016, 8:31 AM

New Yorker is on a distinguished road
Worth raising center channel?

I have my HC-1 MK2 speaker inside my cabinet on the top shelf, so that it sits just below the top of the cabinet, on which sits my plasma TV (see pix). The HC-1 one has wedges beneath it so that it's tilted up as much as possible.

So… should I place the HC-1 on top of the cabinet, where the TV stand sits now? This would necessitate raising the TV 5", which would mean either placing it on a riser or mounting it directly on the wall.

I know the speaker would sound better, as its tweeter would be closer in height to those of the HB-1 mains. The downside to this would be:
a) monitor would no longer be at what many consider the perfect viewing height (eye at mid-screen when seated on the couch). I find that viewing height ideal, too.
b) have to buy/install monitor wall mount.
c) aesthetically (not a huge factor), the whole thing would look busier/more cumbersome/less elegant, something to consider in a small 1-bdrm apt.

So the question really is, would sound improvement offset the drawbacks. Thoughts?

(Incidentally, if anyone's curious, I have the HB-1s set up following the "1.0 / 1.26 / 1.60" distance suggestions in the owner's manual. Alas, the speakers are not centered on the rear wall; the left is where it should be, but the right is a good 8' from its sidewall - out of picture - and yes, this bothers me to no end. Hopefully, imaging is not being compromised too badly)
Attached Images

Last edited by New Yorker : September 22nd, 2016 at 6:12 PM.
Old September 27th, 2016, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Kevin_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yorker View Post
I have my HC-1 MK2 speaker inside my cabinet on the top shelf, so that it sits just below the top of the cabinet, on which sits my plasma TV (see pix). The HC-1 one has wedges beneath it so that it's tilted up as much as possible.

So… should I place the HC-1 on top of the cabinet, where the TV stand sits now? This would necessitate raising the TV 5", which would mean either placing it on a riser or mounting it directly on the wall.

I know the speaker would sound better, as its tweeter would be closer in height to those of the HB-1 mains. The downside to this would be:
a) monitor would no longer be at what many consider the perfect viewing height (eye at mid-screen when seated on the couch). I find that viewing height ideal, too.
b) have to buy/install monitor wall mount.
c) aesthetically (not a huge factor), the whole thing would look busier/more cumbersome/less elegant, something to consider in a small 1-bdrm apt.

So the question really is, would sound improvement offset the drawbacks. Thoughts?

(Incidentally, if anyone's curious, I have the HB-1s set up following the "1.0 / 1.26 / 1.60" distance suggestions in the owner's manual. Alas, the speakers are not centered on the rear wall; the left is where it should be, but the right is a good 8' from its sidewall - out of picture - and yes, this bothers me to no end. Hopefully, imaging is not being compromised too badly)
Hi there,

Having the tweeter closer to ear height, though ideal, is not as big of an issue as the HB-1 Mk2's due to the vertical orientation of the MT design. So moving it up to the top shelf might not provide as much of a difference. I think you should be fine keeping it where it is. You can always temporarily move the TV out for a bit and place the HC-1 Mk2 there to see if it makes a big difference such that it warrants mounting the TV higher or not.
Old September 27th, 2016, 10:16 AM

New Yorker is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Kevin, temporarily moving the center speaker atop the shelf if a great idea. Duh! And it's good to know the difference in sound quality will probably be just incremental.