HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Setup and Placement Recommendations
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 28th, 2019, 1:35 PM

New Yorker is on a distinguished road
Anthem ARC vs Hsu recommendations…

Hey everyone, I’m running three CCB-8s up front (L/C/R) and two HB-1 MK2s as surrounds (along with a ULS 15-MK2 sub). And they sound truly wonderful! Now, I just bought an Anthem MRX 520 AVR with its proprietary ARC Genesis (Anthem Room Correction) software. Ran it, and it set my speaker crossovers as follows:

Sub LPF for LFE = 120 Hz
Front Crossover = 130 Hz
Center Crossover = 80 Hz
Surround Crossover = 80 Hz

Of course, Hsu says “Note: For optimum bass performance, use a system with bass management and crossover the CCB-8s (and HB-1 MK2s) at 80 Hz.

So, aside from the obvious answer of “listen both ways and decide” (big duh!), which settings are more likely the best? On one hand, Anthem’s software (which may well be imperfect) factors in my room’s acoustics. On the other, Hsu Research knows their products better than anyone. Which recommendation should get the nod?

Last edited by New Yorker : July 28th, 2019 at 3:05 PM.
Old July 30th, 2019, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Kevin_Hsu is on a distinguished road
The ULS-15 Mk2 should be able to reproduce those higher frequencies so that's not really an issue. The main issue would be localization of the sub which may make it more difficult to try out different placements in the room to give you a better response overall. I don't quite know why Anthem set your speaker crossovers so high. Did you run the CCB-8's in ported mode or sealed? If you ran them in ported mode, the only reason I can figure is that the room acoustics are causing a dip around 120 Hz or so, which causes ARC to think that your speakers can only play down to 130 Hz. What you can try to do is, set your speaker crossovers to 80 Hz and use the test tones on the Hsu BAS Test CD to play freq from 200 down to 100 Hz. If you can hear a considerable drop in output around 120 Hz, then the room acoustics is likely causing that so try different placements for the speakers to see if you can eliminate it. Otherwise, if you don't really have any localization issues with the sub and that crossover, then 130 Hz setting is fine.
Old August 5th, 2019, 12:51 PM

Thanks, Kevin. I’m running the CCB-8s with ONE of the two ports plugged. So I’m guessing that counts as ported, not sealed. Should I have run the Anthem software with the speakers sealed instead? (And I’m afraid your explanation of what’s happening with my listening room, bass response, and sub/speaker location is a bit beyond my pay grade, lol. But again, thanks for the thoughtful reply!)
Old August 5th, 2019, 4:17 PM
Administrator

No worries! I would run the auto-calibration with two ports open on the CCB-8's.
Old August 6th, 2019, 12:00 PM

FYI, reran Anthem ARC with both ports open in all three CB-8s (HB-1 MK2 surrounds unchanged, of course) and got the following results (though I certainly don’t know what they mean, lol). All other variables remained the same...

New settings, both ports open:
Subwoofer LPF for LFE: 120 Hz
Front Crossover: 100 Hz
Center Crossover: 80 Hz
Surround Crossover: 80 Hz

Old settings, one port open:
Subwoofer LPF for LFE: 120 Hz
Front Crossover: 130 Hz
Center Crossover: 80 Hz
Surround Crossover: 80 Hz

Just thought I’d share.

Last edited by New Yorker : August 6th, 2019 at 4:17 PM.
Old August 6th, 2019, 4:26 PM
Administrator

That's a little better! How is it sounding so far?
Old August 13th, 2019, 9:35 AM

It sounds great, Kevin… thanks! Ya know, I did yet another ARC test, this time with my large glass coffee table rolled out of the way, away from any speakers (those nasty reflections, ya know). And you know what? Yes, of course it’s better, but only a little better. Same with removing the plugs from the CCB-8s; better, but just a bit. Comparing all the ARC frequency response graphs, you can even see, visually, that differences are really quite small (and I’d be happy to share them with you, by the way). So yes, I’m quite content knowing I’ve dialed in all 5 Hsu speakers + sub to sound their best in my smallish living room. And it does sound better; the bass is smoother and better balanced. At the same time, all these adjustments are really just little tweaks. The basic sound of my well-placed CCB-8s was quite impressive to begin with, and is a little bit better now. It’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of tweaking one’s system to maximize its performance, but it’s just as easy to forget that many of these tweaks are really nothing more than that… tweaks! Anyway, thanks again for your insightful suggestions.
Old August 14th, 2019, 3:56 PM
Administrator

Glad to hear that you are liking the speakers! Yea the variable tuning can make a bit of a difference, especially in a smallish room. When we first exhibited the CCB-8's (I believe it was at RMAF) we ended up running them sealed instead as we were getting quite a lot of natural boost in the low end.