HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 26th, 2011, 9:11 AM

kinggimp is on a distinguished road
Audyssey MultEQ question

If I run Audyssey MultEQ auto calibration can I manually change equalizer settings afterwards to my liking? And if I do so will the Audyssey MultEQ equalizer settings that I haven't changed remain the same. I'm really like what the auto calibration does for my main speakers but I do not like what it does for my subwoofer especially in the lower frequencies. Just wondering if there is a way that I can leave the auto calibrations as is for the main speakers but just manually change them for the subwoofer?
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR706, Blu Ray: Sony BDP-N460
Fronts/Center: Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, Rears: Ascend Acoustics HTM-200
Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK-4
Old October 26th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Hi Andrew,

I'm not sure how much you can manipulate the deep bass response EQ using Audyssey, but there are some things you can do to get good results. Before running Audyssey, I suggest plugging one port and setting bass extension switch in the up position. Then, after running Audyssey, flip the bass extension switch in the down position (no need to re-run Audyssey either). This will help to counteract any tendency that Audyssey may have in boosting the deep bass response. And on the A/V receiver, you may want to turn Dynamic EQ off, and make sure that none of the speakers are set to "Large / Full Band".

Sincerely,
Old October 26th, 2011, 2:50 PM

I recently bought a VTF-3 MK4 a few weeks ago. It is running in maximum extension with the q control at .7. I went ahead in measured what the sub is doing without any corrections. I made sure to use the radio shack SPL meter correction table. From 16 to 63 hz it only varies by three decibels. There is a slight null at 56 hz. With it being pretty flat will Audyssey probably not boost the low frequencies then?
Old October 27th, 2011, 9:48 AM
Hsu Research

Depending on how gentle the rolloff slope is at the lowest frequencies, I've heard that Audyssey may boost as low as 10Hz or even slightly below. And if the "Dynamic EQ" setting is enabled, then the lower frequencies are progressively boosted. It's certainly quite acceptable to run Audyssey in max extension mode with one port plugged and 'EQ1' setting, but if you do hear any audible distortion at your preferred listening levels, then do switch to 'EQ2' and/or lower Q setting.

Sincerely,
Old October 27th, 2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Hsu View Post
It's certainly quite acceptable to run Audyssey in max extension mode with one port plugged and 'EQ1' setting, but if you do hear any audible distortion at your preferred listening levels, then do switch to 'EQ2' and/or lower Q setting.

Sincerely,
I assume I would switch to 'EQ2' and/or lower Q setting without running Audyssey again if I hear any audible distortion. Is that correct?
Old October 27th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Hsu Research

That is correct Andrew...
Old October 28th, 2011, 4:05 PM

JerryMeeker is on a distinguished road
I have a little different take on this, Pete. First of all, I don't see where Kinggimp describes what he doesn't like about what he thinks Audyssey is doing to his lower bass response. If it sounds bloated, that would be one thing, but if it sounds thin, that would be completely different. Perhaps Kinggimp can clarify what he perceives is wrong.

Having said that, I don't recommend turning DEQ off. The function of DEQ is to keep the "perceived" bass response flat as the volume is turned down from reference levels. If the amount of compensation is too aggressive, the correct way to address it is to adjust the "Reference Level Offset" in the AVR. In AVR's with RLO adjustments, there are usually several values: 0, 5, 10 and 15 dB. The higher the value, the more the amount of compensation DEQ is applying is reduced. DEQ applies other compensation as well, especially to the surround speakers, so turning it off defeats what many Audyssey aficionados consider a significant advantage of the room correction technology.

Of course, if the bass is too thin, the best solution is to increase the sub trim in the AVR (not on the back of the sub).

Neither adjusting the RLO, nor raising the sub trim in the AVR, will affect the Audyssey calibration for the other speakers.

Last edited by JerryMeeker : October 28th, 2011 at 4:08 PM. Reason: Correct formatting
Old October 28th, 2011, 4:19 PM
Hsu Research

Great feedback Jerry about the Reference Level Offset feature. Yes, with that type of feature it is worth adjusting that first rather than turning off Dynamic EQ.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 10:12 AM

Jeff52 is on a distinguished road
I'm glad someone mentioned this. I have had a devil of a time with my Denon 2310 receiver using Audyssey. In many action type films my VTF-3 Mk3 bottoms out making a sound like a gunshot. I have turned off Dynamic EQ but it makes no difference. Audyssey listed the sub channel at -2.5 so I am fairly certain I had the sub gain set pretty close to what it should be when taking the measurements.

Finally I decided to play with the Reference Level Offset and was forced to use the -15 dB setting in order to keep from bottoming out the subwoofer using the opening scene of Iron Man as a reference as I still had problems with -5 and -10 dB offsets. I otherwise like the sound of Dynamic EQ so I continue to use it, albeit with a significant level offset. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, did you have a problem when you turned Audyssey off?
Old November 2nd, 2011, 6:02 PM

Matt34 is on a distinguished road
I'm running a Denon 4311CI like Jerry with Audyessy XT32 and have been playing around with different settings but it's driving me crazy not being able to "see" the difference (Sold my SMS-1). I've decided I'm going to pick up the OmniMic from PE to help fine tune my settings.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=390-790

Old November 3rd, 2011, 11:51 AM

elwaylite is on a distinguished road
Hi folks, upcoming owner of a VTF-2 MK4 and I see Im going to have some Audyssey questions.

Earlier today I posed an email question to HSU, and got this response:

I have a Denon AVR, with Audyssey. I assume sub setup is normal as any other. Place it, set gain/volume to 50%, put sub in the mode I want to use (max ext), and then run Audyssey? I would set the volume on the sub to about 9 o'clock, one port open, EQ1, Q=0.7 for the Audyssey run, and then change it to EQ2, both ports open and fine tune by ear with the Q control.

Now, Im a little lost Q=0.7 and Q control. I have not seen the back of the MK4, so maybe this is what Im missing. Im used to the Audyssey FAQ at AVS, which is set sub xover to 120hz, set gain/volume to 50%, and run Audyssey. Any perceived need for sub increase of course is to be done within the rcvr trim levels, not on the back of the sub.

So is a setting of 9 oclock only 25% power? And I guess adjust by ear is a tough on for me, because Im going to set it and forget it to a more involved procedure. Any input is greatly appreciated. I have a RS SPL meter, but using this for a sub is not easy.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 1:07 PM

Just got off the phone, sub ordered. Woohoo!
Old November 3rd, 2011, 2:37 PM

Jeff52 is on a distinguished road
Enjoy your new sub. I cannot get my VTF-3 Mk3 to work properly with Audyssey (whether using Dynamic EQ or not) without setting the Reference Level Offset to -15 dB. When I get some time I'm going to use the AV Receiver's manual mode to calibrate and then see whether the sub still bottoms out. If so, then I guess I'll need to call Hsu to troubleshoot the issue.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 3:15 PM

WhskyTangoFxtrt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff52 View Post
Enjoy your new sub. I cannot get my VTF-3 Mk3 to work properly with Audyssey (whether using Dynamic EQ or not) without setting the Reference Level Offset to -15 dB. When I get some time I'm going to use the AV Receiver's manual mode to calibrate and then see whether the sub still bottoms out. If so, then I guess I'll need to call Hsu to troubleshoot the issue.
It might be possible that your sub is placed in a position that creates a null at a particular frequency which Audyssey may be trying to boost.

If you haven't done so already, you might try experimenting with placement of your sub or taking measurements with REW to determine any issues?
Old November 3rd, 2011, 5:44 PM

Im just gonna go by my above instructions, the first time, then run audyssey as I normally would. We will see what happens.
Old November 4th, 2011, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryMeeker View Post
I have a little different take on this, Pete. First of all, I don't see where Kinggimp describes what he doesn't like about what he thinks Audyssey is doing to his lower bass response. If it sounds bloated, that would be one thing, but if it sounds thin, that would be completely different. Perhaps Kinggimp can clarify what he perceives is wrong.

Having said that, I don't recommend turning DEQ off. The function of DEQ is to keep the "perceived" bass response flat as the volume is turned down from reference levels. If the amount of compensation is too aggressive, the correct way to address it is to adjust the "Reference Level Offset" in the AVR. In AVR's with RLO adjustments, there are usually several values: 0, 5, 10 and 15 dB. The higher the value, the more the amount of compensation DEQ is applying is reduced. DEQ applies other compensation as well, especially to the surround speakers, so turning it off defeats what many Audyssey aficionados consider a significant advantage of the room correction technology.

Of course, if the bass is too thin, the best solution is to increase the sub trim in the AVR (not on the back of the sub).

Neither adjusting the RLO, nor raising the sub trim in the AVR, will affect the Audyssey calibration for the other speakers.
What I don't like is that sometimes Audyssey boosts lower frequencies too much which causes the sub to bottom out. This problem is compounded when using DEQ. Unfortunately my receiver does not have the Reference Level Offset feature so turning off DEQ is a must. Also from what I understand it will also boost nulls which isn't a good thing. Right now between 50 and 56 hz I have a null that is 5 or 6 decibels lower than the rest of the frequencies. So I fear that Audyssey will boost that null by 5 decibels. And I also like the sub 3 decibels hotter than my mains. So would that be boosting that null by 8 decibels? If so I would think that would be putting uneeded strain on the sub. If different positioning cannot alleviate the null I might upgrade my main speakers to one's that play down to 50 hz or below.
Old November 10th, 2011, 4:54 PM

Cross post:

With some help from Pete, I developed some steps and this is what I did today -

Before Audyssey: Q 0.7, EQ 1, one port plugged, Xover Out(bypassed) and gain at 9 oclock, the sub trim settings in the Marantz were 0.0 db which is awesome.

After Audyssey: EQ 2, unplugged the 2nd port, set Q to 0.5, and of course left the gain alone and xover bypassed

Really sounds better than my Klipsch 12" sub it replaced, just wondering if I should even mess with it further
Old November 10th, 2011, 5:48 PM

shadyJ is on a distinguished road
Hi elwaylite, there is no harm is experimenting further with the sub settings, after all, you can always just go back to the previous settings so you know it will sound good no matter what. I would play around and see how it sounds at different settings.
Old November 10th, 2011, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
Hi elwaylite, there is no harm is experimenting further with the sub settings, after all, you can always just go back to the previous settings so you know it will sound good no matter what. I would play around and see how it sounds at different settings.
I thought about plugging one of the ports. Just reading the manual, 2 ports open and EQ2 (Ported Max Output Mode) and Q 0.5 seem to match my situation perfectly.

I'll probably watch a few flicks and see what I think. It already hits harder, tighter, and more accurately than the Klipsh it replaced.