HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Setup and Placement Recommendations
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 6th, 2012, 5:18 AM

mikec is on a distinguished road
2nd Sub Placement Recommendation Needed

Hello,
I currently have a 7.2 setup in my basement theater and was looking for some input on sub placement. I bought my first Hsu sub (VTF-2 MK3) last year and love it. Iím looking to replace my existing low-quality 2nd sub with another Hsu sub at some point and am really torn between the MBM-12 and the STF-2.

Iíve attached a diagram of my room to this post. The total room is ~26x12 (viewing/listening area is ~19x12) and the far end is open to the rest of the basement. My existing VTF-2.3 is in the front left corner (the only true corner option in the room). My existing 2nd sub is against the wall next to the front-right speakers. The room is used 100% for movies.

I like the idea of the MBM, but from what Iíve read it seems the advantages of this avenue really depend on having nearfield placement. As you can see, I have no option to place anything behind the listening positionÖand the only nearfield option I have is to place a sub next to the couch on the left side of the room (same side as 1st sub). My fear in doing this is that the left side of the room will have too much bass and will leave the right side of the room lacking in bass. I already notice this a bit as a result of my low-quality 2nd sub.

Given the above constraints, I am thinking I should bypass the MBM option and go with the STF-2 in the same location as my existing 2nd sub. You may be asking why I am not considering a 2nd VTF-2. Although the WAF is not an issue (itís the basement and she doesnít care), I do feel that something as large as the VTF-2 would be too big for the exiting 2nd sub location (i.e. it would stick out from the wall too far and get in the way).

Your thoughts, comments, suggestions, recommendations would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Attached Images

Old April 8th, 2012, 9:08 AM
Administrator

Dr_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Nice drawing! Adding a STF-2 will not do a whole lot. It's hard to to set the level of each sub - since the VTF-2 MK3 can play louder before reaching it's limit, you have to set the STF-2 to a lower level so both reaches their limits at about the same time. By doing so, the STF-2 will not be contributing a whole lot.

If your budget is not an issue, I would consider upgrading the VTF-2 MK3 to a 15H and use the VTF-2 MK3 in a secondary system.

If that is more than what you want to spend, the MBM route would be better than the STF-2. You can place the MBM where you currently have the 2nd sub, or even have it in the middle under your screen. The difference between the MBM and the STF-2 is you will be bi-amping with the MBM. Feed both the MBM and the VTF-2 MK3 with the same signal. Set the crossover on the 2.3 to 50 Hz, crossover in. That way, the 2.3 will handle only bass below 50 Hz. Set the crossover on the MBM to out and the MBM will handle bass from 50 Hz up. The headroom will be much higher compared to the STF-2 route.

How long is the whole basement?
Old April 9th, 2012, 6:18 AM

Dr. Hsu,
Thank you for your reply and commentary! The basement extends another 8 feet beyond my curtain ďopeningĒ and then opens left to another ~15x~18 room. Youíve convinced me that the STF-2 wonít meet my needs. Also, the budget is unfortunately fairly tight and the 15H is not an option at this point (maybe in time).

So, now Iím down to the following 2 choices (both around the same price):
  • Adding the MBM (in either of the locations you mentioned)
  • Getting another VTF-2 (I know I originally dismissed this option, but I would be open if you thought it the better route)
Iím definitely leaning towards the MBM and am guessing you will recommend this too, but am not 100% sure. Which option do you think Iíd be better off with?
Old April 9th, 2012, 8:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
Dr. Hsu,
Thank you for your reply and commentary! The basement extends another 8 feet beyond my curtain ďopeningĒ and then opens left to another ~15x~18 room. Youíve convinced me that the STF-2 wonít meet my needs. Also, the budget is unfortunately fairly tight and the 15H is not an option at this point (maybe in time).

So, now Iím down to the following 2 choices (both around the same price):
  • Adding the MBM (in either of the locations you mentioned)
  • Getting another VTF-2 (I know I originally dismissed this option, but I would be open if you thought it the better route)
Iím definitely leaning towards the MBM and am guessing you will recommend this too, but am not 100% sure. Which option do you think Iíd be better off with?
I would go for the MBM. With that, you have a better upgrade path - down the road, get a 15H to replace the VTF-2 MK3 and use the VTF-2 MK3 in your bedroom or something. With two VTF-2s, there is no clear upgrade path...
Old April 11th, 2012, 8:03 PM

Well, I took your advice and ordered the MBM today. Would you recommend a ported or sealed setup for the MBM in my case?
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
Well, I took your advice and ordered the MBM today. Would you recommend a ported or sealed setup for the MBM in my case?
Congrats! You will enjoy it. I would use it in the ported mode.
Old July 18th, 2012, 1:37 AM

EfrainCase is on a distinguished road
Youíve convinced me that the STF-2 wonít meet my needs.