HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 25th, 2013, 7:21 AM

jblacklow is on a distinguished road
VTF-2 Mk3 and Subdude

I just moved to an apartment with hardwood floors, and since I'd heard good things about how the Subdude reduced boominess and vibration, I went ahead and bought one without checking the dimensions beforehand. When I got it, I noticed that it fit the width just fine, but the VTF-2 is quite a bit deeper. I decided to try it out anyway, and put the Subdude right underneath the speaker portion. Now, it did in fact reduce boominess and vibration, but the bass is very muted. Before, I rarely turned the volume more than 1/4 to 1/3 of the way, now I have to go over halfway before I get any noticeable bass at all.

Is this how I'm supposed to use the VTF with the Subdude, or am I doing something wrong? Should I get a second Subdude, or sell it and get one of the larger ones, or am I fine using just one?
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:54 AM

shadyJ is on a distinguished road
Since the subdude doesn't quite fit the VTF2, is it blocking the ports? How far is it from the ports and driver?It definitely sounds like something has went wrong over there. It shouldn't be reducing actual output unless it is inhibiting something. By the way, the idea of the subdude rests on some some pretty specious science, and there are many including myself who don't think it actually does anything useful. There has never been any measured proof produced of what it or of of the products like it claims to do.
Old January 25th, 2013, 12:28 PM

monkuboy is on a distinguished road
This may seem like a dumb question but, is the sub still separated from the Subdude by the feet on the sub, or is the sub now resting flat on the Subdude with the feet being wider than the Subdude platform? If this is the case then yes it will be muted. But otherwise there should be no difference in the level of sound. The Subdude should not be decreasing the volume of sound coming from the sub.
Old January 25th, 2013, 3:17 PM

jblacklow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
Since the subdude doesn't quite fit the VTF2, is it blocking the ports? How far is it from the ports and driver?It definitely sounds like something has went wrong over there. It shouldn't be reducing actual output unless it is inhibiting something.
The ports, no. The driver, yes.

Quote:
By the way, the idea of the subdude rests on some some pretty specious science, and there are many including myself who don't think it actually does anything useful. There has never been any measured proof produced of what it or of of the products like it claims to do.
I'm aware of the "quality" arguments being specious, but IIRC the idea of separating the sub from the floor with foam to reduce vibration is at least basically true, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkuboy View Post
This may seem like a dumb question but, is the sub still separated from the Subdude by the feet on the sub, or is the sub now resting flat on the Subdude with the feet being wider than the Subdude platform?
The second. I took the feet off because of the wood and because they weren't doing anything useful.

Quote:
If this is the case then yes it will be muted. But otherwise there should be no difference in the level of sound. The Subdude should not be decreasing the volume of sound coming from the sub.
I'm fine with it being muted as long as it won't (1) tax the amp and blow something important and (2) I can still get some sound.
Old January 25th, 2013, 3:25 PM

kinggimp is on a distinguished road
So the woofer is flat against the Subdude with no space separating the two? If so that's not good. There needs to be space between the two for the woofer to work properly.
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR706, Blu Ray: Sony BDP-N460
Fronts/Center: Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, Rears: Ascend Acoustics HTM-200
Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK-4
Old January 25th, 2013, 4:14 PM

BufordTJustice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggimp View Post
So the woofer is flat against the Subdude with no space separating the two? If so that's not good. There needs to be space between the two for the woofer to work properly.
Agreed. You're gonna need at LEAST 1.5"-2" clearance for the driver in all directions.
Old January 25th, 2013, 7:08 PM

monkuboy is on a distinguished road
What you might try doing is turning the sub on its side so the woofer is pointing outward and not downward.