HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Setup and Placement Recommendations
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 21st, 2004, 4:36 PM

cebbigh is on a distinguished road
Just got stf-2

Replacing a BIC v1220 (in part on the advice of a very helpful BIC employee). Setup appears straight forward. Have the sub in a corner next to a sofa. Although I wasn't unhappy with the BIC, the many positive reviews finally pusuaded me to spend the extra bucks to upgrade. Now that I have it, I want to know what I should be looking for to compel me that it was a wise choice. How long a break-in period should I anticipate? What should I be doing during the break-in period? Should I hold up on cranking it up or can I just start out watching anything with major bass/lfe effects?
Old April 21st, 2004, 8:02 PM
DavidD

What were your thoughts about the BIC sub? What didn't you like about it?
Old April 22nd, 2004, 6:13 PM

I can't say I was terribly disapointed with the BIC v1220. It is well worth the
almost ridicuously low price (think I paid 180.00). That said, it doesn't begin to
compare with the stf-2. The rest of the speakers in my system are BIC speakers
(3 BIC 62 center speakers in front and 2 BIC 62 bookshelf speakers as surrounds.) I just didn't do enough research when I bought the BIC sub. In large part, it was out of satisfaction with the BIC products I already had and a wish to match the other speakers in the system. The stf-2 does what I was hoping the BIC would do in the first place. I don't know if BIC and Hsu have some sort of working relationship, but I will credit the person at BIC for getting me thinking about the upgrade in the first place. In so doing he has made a very satisfied customer of both companies.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 8:53 PM
Super Moderator

cschang will become famous soon enoughcschang will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to cschang Send a message via Yahoo to cschang
I was a little confused by your first post....it didn't seem like you were happy with the STF-2.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 10:54 PM
DavidD

Like Curtis, I guess I misunderstood your first message. I thought you were dissatisfied with the STF-2.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 6:18 AM

gary is on a distinguished road
Cebbigh, what size room are you running the STF-2 in?
Old April 23rd, 2004, 4:47 PM
Audiophile

Sasha_G will become famous soon enoughSasha_G will become famous soon enough
Since Dr. Hsu engineered the STF-1, and the BIC engineers did the BIC sub, there are differences "inside the box" that are not apparent. The HSU sub is a different creature inside, with different drivers and amplifier designs.

Many people don't know that the STF series has a lot in common with the well known VTF series.

I guess the main result will be it can deliver louder, cleaner, more even bass.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 7:35 PM

Gary, the size of the room is odd. It is the living room of a split level with a vaulted ceiling. The actual listening space is approx 16x14. But the space has open sides to the dining room and a hallway and a 3 ft tall wall seperating it from the stairwell which runs behind the seating area. I also had the BIC in the
same place (in the left rear corner between the sofa and rear wall). It seemed to me that to get impact from it I had to have it set too loud. The stf-2 seems to have more impact at lower volume (does that make sense?). It has more presence, more controlled impact and less uncontrolled boom. Despite the odd dimensions now the sound stage seems better defined. I watched Master and Commander last night and it felt/sounded amazing. Now I can't wait to start resampling other movies in my collection!
Old April 23rd, 2004, 8:49 PM

Ddavidson will become famous soon enoughDdavidson will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I watched Master and Commander last night and it felt/sounded amazing.
I never watched it at the theater, but I followed its dvd release date. I really quite enjoyed that movie it had lots of dynamic impact in some of those scenes. My little VTF-2 in my small room really got a work out. I will have to watch it again with the VTF-3 for a comparision.

Ddavidson
Old April 24th, 2004, 10:49 AM

Dudley will become famous soon enoughDudley will become famous soon enough
Just watched M & C last night as well. STF-2 did very well with the thunder and the cannon shots. I find now that the theater is a bit dissapointing in the bass department.

I was also looking at the BIC subs (the price sure was right), and was also told by the guys at BIC that I would be better off getting an STF-2 if I wanted something a step up from the V1220. Does the STF-2 bring out bass that you did not know existed before (with its extra depth), or is the main difference the ability to play louder, cleaner and with less boom?
Old April 24th, 2004, 8:42 PM

That's hard to say. Both are accurate statements. It both brings out elements missing and produces a deeper more robust thump with a lot less effort. That hard to quantify. Sort of like the difference between fresh and frozen vegetables. Interesting that you got the same info I did from BIC. Wish I had inquired of them prior to the purchase. They must be popular at the price because I was back ordered approx 1 month before recieving the shipment. My oldest son is soon to move into his own digs and has expressed an interest in the BIC when he moves, so not a total loss.