HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 12th, 2004, 11:48 AM

Matt_Smi is on a distinguished road
Got my new HSU STF-2 today, few questons...

As a few of you may know I bought an STF-2 from CompUSA about a week ago, upon un-packing it I noticed a two small dents on the front of it. And also after playing some bass heavy material I noticed that some poly-fill had blown out the port of the sub, and you could also some poly-fill inside of the sub if you looked into the port hole. Since my local CompUSA was out of stock I could not swap it for another one, but I had them call another store and ship one that they had in stock to me. So today I picked up my new one and I noticed a few small things that are different from my old one. First off when I opened the old one the subs driver was facing up, so it was like the sub was upside down in the package. The new one had the subs driver on the bottom of the package, why is there a difference and which way are these supposed to ship? Secondly on the old sub I noticed that once the volume was turned to around 2 o clock it became harder to move, it moved freely and then stuck at around 2 o clock and was harder to turn, the new one does not do this, it turns freely all the way around, again why? And what does the volume knob on your sub do? I hope I do not have one of the older models now that where prone to the air leak. But its hard to believe that I could, because the “issues” have been fixed for around 3 mouths know, and CompUSA has been selling the subs (like crazy) for sometime now (since November I think), so I would think that all the first run units would be phased out by now. The new one is not visibly damaged which is good, and I cannot see any poly-fill when looking into the port hole, so that is also good. I just hope I do not know have an older model, is there any way to tell? Anyway maybe Sasha could tell me why they ship different and why the volumes knob on my old one "stuck" ar 2 o clock but the new one does not and if this means anything, thanks.

Last edited by Matt_Smi : May 12th, 2004 at 4:19 PM.
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:48 PM

Dudley will become famous soon enoughDudley will become famous soon enough
Mine arrived woofer down. Had the sub been repacked? Maybe that sub had been returned before because of some of the issues you have mentioned.

Play the Darla scene from Finding Nemo, and that will let you know if you have an air leak.
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:56 PM

I do not think it had been repacked, but you never know, everything inside seemed unopened though. Also about the volume knob, I have heard that on the newer ones it is more sensitive, so you don’t need to turn it up as high. Well my new one seems to give about the same output at 11 o clock as the old one did, maybe slightly less but that could be due to the fact it’s not broken in yet. It is to my understanding that if it was a first run model the sub would put out very little around 11 o clock. So that could be a clue that I don’t even have a first run model, but I am not sure, maybe Sasha knows the deal? I think I will rent Finding Nemo tonight or tomorrow just to make sure I don’t have a leak. I would hate to discover it after the 2 week return period at CompUSA is up. What exactly should I listen for, just the noise of air rushing out? And also if the sub does not have the problem "out of the box" is it fine, or could it develop the leak over time? And when did you buy yours Dudley?

Last edited by Matt_Smi : May 12th, 2004 at 1:15 PM.
Old May 12th, 2004, 1:56 PM

Dudley will become famous soon enoughDudley will become famous soon enough
I bought mine in late Feb., but it was a refurb, so it had been factory tested. It has a fairly low seriel number, so it may be an early model, but I have it turned up to about 10:30. I don't think the early models had very little output at 11:00, it just may not have been room shaking. It seems the STF-3 models are very sensitive, and people are barely turning them up at all.

If you are really concerned you can turn the sub on it's back during finding nemo, to make it easier to hear/feel air leaks. I think Titan A.E. is another good test movie. It has some intense deep bass during a few scenes. I bought a copy since it is only $5.50 at Wal-mart.

Relax, watch a few movies, and take your time to evaluate. Report back how you like it.
Old May 12th, 2004, 3:44 PM

cebbigh is on a distinguished road
Likewise I bought my stf-2 at compusa not too long ago. My sub was situated in the box with the speaker facing the bottom of the box. I've had no problems with mine. It sounds to me like the first one you received was just a damaged/returned unit that compusa put back out on the floor. Good luck with this one!
Old May 12th, 2004, 4:15 PM

Ddavidson will become famous soon enoughDdavidson will become famous soon enough
The sensitivity doesn't make any difference except where the physical position of the knob is. People just believe the sub has more power if it operates in a lower position but the truth is there is no difference. The only time this would be of concern is if you ran out of adjustment to cut the gain or the upper end didn't allow full gain. As seen with the -3's high gain you do not get past 9 am on the subs volume dial for most systems. All Hsu box subs are packed driver down that I have seen inc the STF 2/3 VTF 2/3.

Ddavidson

Last edited by Ddavidson : May 12th, 2004 at 5:12 PM.
Old May 12th, 2004, 9:18 PM

Well I can now put my mind at ease, I e-mailed HSU at around the same time I posted this thread and I just got my response back (very quick repose time BTW). I basically e-mailed them what I wrote in this thread and told them my serial number, their simple but very helpful reply was “01911 is after the problem has been fixed. Sounds like the earlier one you got was damaged in shipping.” So I now know for sure that I have a newer run production model that has the air leak problem eliminated and don’t need to worry about it. It does seem strange that my old one shipped upside-down when it seems that the norm is shipping right side up, maybe that’s what caused the poly-fill to come loose inside? And I am still wondering why the old volume knob stuck at 2 o clock and why the new one does not, and what is it supposed to do, stick there or move free? Anyway I am glad that I returned it and got an un-damaged one. BTW Dudley you wanted me to state how I like it? Well after using the old one for about a week, basically a lot. It took me a bit of time to get used to/appreciate the clean flat bass of the HSU, but I am loving it more every day! I posted what I think in another thread but I will put the post below…

"Ok I was having some doubts about buying another STF-2 after returing my damaged one. But now I am almost positive that I will be getting another HSU STF-2. I spent a lot of time today comparing the HSU with the Sony, and my Uncle (the one who gave me the Advents) was also here. I would not necessarily call him an audiophile, but he enjoys good sound and has a good ear, so he really helped me in comparing the subs. We watched scenes from terminator 3 with the level of the HSU on 11 o clock and the level on the Sony between 12 and 1 o clock. We watched the crane chase and the bathroom fight mostly. He said that the HSU was much tighter, deeper, cleaner, and mostly more defined that the Sony. He said the HSU bass could be felt much more than the Sony and that while the Sony put out decent bass you heard more of a “whoomp” whoomp” (if that makes any sense) from it, rather than feeling a nice tight impact (like you did with the HSU). He said the Sony was muddy most of the time and put out more of an undefined rumble rather than a clean impact. He also said that the Sony sounded obtrusive and called attention to itself, while the HSU was much more omni-directional than the Sony, and if one did not know better, could mistake it to be coming from the front speakers. He said the HSU also sounded much more natural and blended in with my system better than the Sony. He also said the Sony always sounded (and looked) like it was being pushed too hard even though it was not necessarily being pushed that hard. Also he stated that the HSU was much quicker and more accurate than the Sony and during explosions you could hear it producing separate hits, where the Sony could not keep up and just blended together with one big muddy sound. We also watched Matrix revolutions and there was no real comparison here, he was very impressed with how the HSU handled the source speaking and the water explosion, and said that the bass could be felt plenty, while the Sony again just made more of a “whoomp” whoomp” sound and a vibration could that could be felt, but not nearly as much true bass as the HSU. So to summarize, the HSU…

- Is not boomy (obvious)
- Is much more accurate, tighter, quicker, deeper, and more defined
- Blends better with my system, sound more natural and does not call attention to itself
- Puts out higher quality bass that you can feel, more than hear

I really like the fact that it seems to sound more blended and natural in my setup and it makes it sound more like a true HT, and also the fact that you can feel the impacts rather than hear/feel a boomy, undefined rumble. I would really like an SVS PB1-ISD, but for almost twice the price of the HSU I don’t know if it would be worth it and I can’t really see spending that much on a sub alone. So I will be retuning the HSU in the next few days, but will hopefully be able to get a rain check so I can buy another one at $350 once they are back in stock, because I am not going to pay $400 for one. I will then sell the Sony to someone I know who wants to buy it for $100, so I will technically be getting the HSU for $250. The Sony served me well for 3 years, so I got my moneys worth out of it and it was a decent budget sub. BTW I also am starting to be less and less fond of my car stereo, so maybe I am getting used to non-boomy bass. My car stereo just does not sound as clean anymore. Sorry for yet again another long post but I wanted to let everyone know how I feel about the HSU now. And don’t worry I am still going to calibrate it when I get my new one. I will be ordering a calibration disc in the next few days; I am still trying to decide between Avia and DVE."