HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 14th, 2013, 8:07 AM

Phonzo07 is on a distinguished road
VTF-15H Question..

Hey Guys, This is JUST a question because I'm curious.

I've had my dual VTF-15h for almost 2 years now, and have been wondering,

What exactly is EQ1 and EQ2 ?

Like what is it controlling on the AMPLIFIER? Or
Why cant we use EQ1 with both ports open?
Why only use it with 1 Port Plugged?
Why would it void the warranty or even damage something?

I ask this because I've read in numerous forums that the Driver and Amp run out of steam the same time, and/or Dr. Hsu specifically designed this to work this way. Why advise not to use in those ways. I'm just asking to get a better understanding.

I love this Sub, It's my first TRUE subwoofer (Had Polks/Klipsch/JBL/Sony) and have given me a waaaaaay better experience of Movie watching. I cannot believe I went for years missing info in movies.

Any help or information would be appreciated...

Thanks in Advance.
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:48 AM

Sputter is on a distinguished road
Good questions. I has some family over on the weekend for a movie night and this subject came up.

Seeing people literally tense up in some scenes tells me the subs are working.
Looper was the film we watched, a couple gotchas in it.

It seems to me that mode 1 is a boost and mode 2 a cut?

P.S. It's hard to believe I've had my pair over two years now. (two years just this past november) I've never looked back.

Last edited by Sputter : January 14th, 2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old January 15th, 2013, 5:04 AM

LOL.. Sputter.. I love that feeling also. Watching other people when bass passages come up. It puts a HUUUUUUUGE grin on my face. LOL .. I completely understand what you mean. Yes for me it's been almost 2 years.. More like a year and a 1/2ish... Time flies.

I've read numerous of your posts you've written and see you are a fan of the VTF.. Thanks, as you were one of those who help and answer some questions I already have.
Old January 19th, 2013, 5:28 AM
Administrator

Dr_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonzo07 View Post
Hey Guys, This is JUST a question because I'm curious.

I've had my dual VTF-15h for almost 2 years now, and have been wondering,

What exactly is EQ1 and EQ2 ?

Like what is it controlling on the AMPLIFIER? Or
Why cant we use EQ1 with both ports open?
Why only use it with 1 Port Plugged?
Why would it void the warranty or even damage something?

I ask this because I've read in numerous forums that the Driver and Amp run out of steam the same time, and/or Dr. Hsu specifically designed this to work this way. Why advise not to use in those ways. I'm just asking to get a better understanding.

I love this Sub, It's my first TRUE subwoofer (Had Polks/Klipsch/JBL/Sony) and have given me a waaaaaay better experience of Movie watching. I cannot believe I went for years missing info in movies.

Any help or information would be appreciated...

Thanks in Advance.
The sub is a 6th order vented design in the one and two ports open mode. That means the amplifier boosts the bass just above the port tuning and a subsonic filter that then rolls off the signal below the port tuning frequency. The latter is critical because the woofer unloads below the port tuning so it does not take a lot of power before the woofer over extends itself. EQ2 rolls off the signal below 22 Hz (two ports open tuning mode) and EQ1 rolls off below 16 Hz. Having the sub in EQ1 and two ports open means the amplifier boosts the signal between 16 and 20 Hz or so, well below the 22 Hz tuning, so the chances of overdriving the woofer is very high. It can lead to woofer failure. Hence never operate the sub in two ports open, EQ1 mode.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 3:13 PM

BufordTJustice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hsu View Post
The sub is a 6th order vented design in the one and two ports open mode. That means the amplifier boosts the bass just above the port tuning and a subsonic filter that then rolls off the signal below the port tuning frequency. The latter is critical because the woofer unloads below the port tuning so it does not take a lot of power before the woofer over extends itself. EQ2 rolls off the signal below 22 Hz (two ports open tuning mode) and EQ1 rolls off below 16 Hz. Having the sub in EQ1 and two ports open means the amplifier boosts the signal between 16 and 20 Hz or so, well below the 22 Hz tuning, so the chances of overdriving the woofer is very high. It can lead to woofer failure. Hence never operate the sub in two ports open, EQ1 mode.
That's really interesting, Doc. Thank you for sharing.

If I recall correctly, isn't the 6th order vented a variation/refinement of a QB3 alignment?
Old January 22nd, 2013, 3:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
That's really interesting, Doc. Thank you for sharing.

If I recall correctly, isn't the 6th order vented a variation/refinement of a QB3 alignment?
Yes.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 3:49 PM

BufordTJustice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hsu View Post
Yes.
I can't imagine how much time and effort it took you to get it just right. The driver/cabinet/amp interplay is so finely balanced for a 6th order vented.

And, it certainly is just right.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 8:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
I can't imagine how much time and effort it took you to get it just right. The driver/cabinet/amp interplay is so finely balanced for a 6th order vented.

And, it certainly is just right.
Thank you for your kind words!
Old January 23rd, 2013, 7:35 PM

Thanks Doc for the exclamation/answer.. But you 2 just lost me with the jargon.. lol I understand a little better now.
Thanks...