HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 21st, 2013, 8:39 AM

jlm86 is on a distinguished road
What AV Recievers/Amps are people using?

I've been away from tech for a while, and am interested in
what people are using for AV Recieivers and/or power amps
for 5.1 / 7.2 systems....

thanks
Old January 21st, 2013, 11:15 AM

shadyJ is on a distinguished road
Onkyo TX-SR707, Pioneer VSX-47TX, Harman-Kardon 3490, all work great for me.
Old January 21st, 2013, 12:17 PM
Ask for a demo

lradden is on a distinguished road
I'm using an Anthem MRX300 with ARC as a pre/pro and for amps I'm using a Rotel RMB-1095 and two Rotel RB-1050 amps to power a 7.1 system.

Old January 21st, 2013, 2:24 PM

OZZ is on a distinguished road
I am using an Integra 10.5 now but will be replacing it this year with a Pioneer SC-67 or 68 if in the budget.
Old January 21st, 2013, 6:18 PM

mentatgom is on a distinguished road
Been running an Onkyo TX-SR805 in a 5.1 config with all HSU gear.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 2:34 AM

BufordTJustice is on a distinguished road
I use an Arcam AVR300.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 4:04 AM

Sputter is on a distinguished road
Pioneer VSX-9040TXH/Emotiva XPA-5
Old January 22nd, 2013, 8:42 AM

Jacobariel is on a distinguished road
I would go with brands like Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha.
I currently have a 7.1 Denon
Old January 22nd, 2013, 8:56 AM

pg_rider is on a distinguished road
Currently running an old Pioneer VSX-815 as a pre-amp, connected to an Adcom GFA-6000 5-channel amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lradden View Post
I'm using an Anthem MRX300 with ARC as a pre/pro and for amps I'm using a Rotel RMB-1095 and two Rotel RB-1050 amps to power a 7.1 system.
Have you ever used Audyssey XT32 and had a chance to compare it to your ARC results? I really want a Denon 4311 for the XT32, but then I wonder if I'd prefer the sound of an MRX300 and ARC...
Old January 22nd, 2013, 8:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
Currently running an old Pioneer VSX-815 as a pre-amp, connected to an Adcom GFA-6000 5-channel amp.

Have you ever used Audyssey XT32 and had a chance to compare it to your ARC results? I really want a Denon 4311 for the XT32, but then I wonder if I'd prefer the sound of an MRX300 and ARC...
Glad you asked. I have always wondered what would be better XT32 or ARC. I have always heard that Anthem makes really nice receivers.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:51 AM
Ask for a demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobariel View Post
Glad you asked. I have always wondered what would be better XT32 or ARC. I have always heard that Anthem makes really nice receivers.
I've had my fair share of pre/pros and receivers with and without room correction over the past 12 years. I've had pre/pros like: Sherwood P965(SNAP), Rotel RSP-1066(no room correction), and Marantz AV7005(Audyssey MultEQ XT), and receivers like the Denon AVR3300(no room correction), Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH(MCACC) and now Anthem MRX300(ARC).

Of the ones I've had, only the Marantz AV7005(Audyssey XT), the Pioneer VSX-92TXH(MCACC) and the Sherwood P965(SNAP) had room correction. I had the Pioneer with MCACC for the last 5 years, but it always seemed to be lacking something. It just didn't WOW me. It sounded great, but it just didn't give me that holy crap that's nice feeling where you feel totally enveloped like the sound is floating all around you. I only had the Marantz AV7005 with Audyssey XT for a week before returning it for the Anthem MXR300. The AV7005 had Audyssey XT, which was a step up from MCACC, but still just did WOW me for the $1200 I was paying, so I talked to the dealer and I took it back and tried the Anthem MRX300 with ARC.

I'm not trying to start one of those my new receiver's room correction is better than someone else's, but in my room, and with my amps ARC is just in another league. ARC has really done some incredible things to the sound of my room. with ARC there is an airiness and envelopment to the sound. I have monitor Audio Silver 10 speakers and they are pretty good on their own but with ARC engaged the soundstage is so large it seems like I upgraded my speakers. ARC has also done a great job controlling my bass so that it doesn't linger it just hits and stops without being boomy.

In my room and with my gear ARC is a step up from Audyssey XT & MCACC. I can't say how the MRX300 sounds with the internal 7x80wpc amps because I use it as a pre/pro with my big Rotel amps. Out of all the units I've had the MRX300 is the absolute best sounding unit due to ARC. IMO the sound from ARC is the most impressive I've heard in my room with my ears and after having ARC I can't see myself buying anything again without it. I didn't know much about ARC before buying the MRX300, because it was only in Anthem's expensive pre/pros, so I just never read about it because it was in units out of my price range, but now I'm completely sold on it.

As for XT32 I can't say how it sounds because I haven't heard it. Unfortunately the Marantz AV7005 had XT not XT32, so I can't say how ARC compares to XT32.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:16 AM

I read that ARC does not measure speaker distance. Is this true?
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:14 PM
Ask for a demo

Yes that is true. ARC is a bit different than Audyssey, MCACC ,YPAO etc... because you load the ARC software on your laptop and connect the mic to the laptop or PC and then the laptop is connected to the receiver. While the others use the receiver to do all the measurements ARC's uses your laptop to do all the measurements and then after you are satisfied with your graphs you upload the result to the receiver. You can also make changes to the results as many times as you like and see the results in the graphs on your laptop and then just upload them without running the measurements again.

This is the reply Nick from Anthem gave on AVS regarding the speaker distance measurements:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1289533/an...#post_21195160
Quote:
The reason for not including distance measurement with ARC is that there is a PC in the system. It's impossible to know the latency each PC creates therefore no way to correlate distance to time. We realize that requiring a PC is less user friendly but there is no other way to obtain the same level of room correction performance.

Another potential reason, even with no PC, is that standing waves could skew sub distance measurement depending on measurement method. We've seen receivers which set distance automatically act as if the sub is 40+ feet away when the real distance is much less. Of course, it all depends on the room and sub placement.
I'd have to agree with Nick especially on the standing waves messing up the sub measurement. I haven't used a system yet that gets the sub distance correct. Also you only really have to measure once. If you upgrade to a new version of ARC or just take new measurements and upload the results, ARC keeps your speakers distance measurements and all other system settings.

Last edited by lradden : January 22nd, 2013 at 1:54 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 1:25 PM

Thanks for the info!
Old January 22nd, 2013, 1:53 PM
Ask for a demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobariel View Post
Thanks for the info!
Anytime.