HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 5th, 2017, 10:35 AM

TDK is on a distinguished road
New MBM to go with my VTF-3 HO Turbo?

I should probably preface this thread by saying that it has been awhile since I have been in the home theater market. I had a humble one years ago before I lived in a townhouse but basically had to shelve it most of the time because of the shared walls with the neighbors. Well, now I am back in market so to speak and I would like to dust of some of my old equipment (sub, speakers) while refreshing some others (Receiver, Source equipment).

So having said that, One of things I have always wanted to do was pair the MBM-12 with my VTF-3 HO Turbo. However, my research has shown me that this product (MBM-12) has been replaced with the ULS-15 MK2.
My question is: Would this combination be inappropriate? I would essentially have the VTF-3 HO Turbo handling the deep bass while the ULS-15 MK2 would handle the punchy, articulate bass. It just seems strange because the MBM would actually have a larger driver than the VTF-3 and probably more capable overall so not sure if this is the route I should go. I definitely want to do duel subs in my next setup. I am just trying to find the right combination.

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by TDK : March 5th, 2017 at 2:33 PM.
Old March 6th, 2017, 9:18 AM

A/Vbuff179 is on a distinguished road
I think your comment has merit about the ULS-15 mk2 with the VTF-3 HO. The response might create a "bottleneck" from the larger driver to the smaller driver.

In terms of your MBM, you could probably use another sub from another manufacturer. Depending on your budget, you can probably these products from Monoprice https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2 or this https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9723. These play down to only 50Hz.

You can even use this sub from Parts Express https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...oofer--300-627. This plays down to 40Hz.

If you have a bigger budget, you can use this as well http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FM8.html. This can be used as a MBM with a cutoff at 50Hz.

With any of the above mentioned subs, you can connect these and your VTF-3 HO via a Y-splitter cable from your AVR. Since these subs can play down to 40-50Hz (place them "near field" for the mid-bass "punch") and set your VTF-3 HO crossover switch to "in" and set the crossover knob to 40 or 50Hz (depending on which sub you use as your MBM). From here, you can set your AVR crossover for your whole system to the lowest frequency range of your speakers. Preferably 80Hz to let the MBM do its job. This allows your VTF-3 HO to handle all the rumble impact below 50Hz.

I hope this has helped in any way.
Old March 6th, 2017, 9:33 AM

Thank you! Those are definitely some great ideas. I would like to stay with HSU if possible but not opposed to mixing.
Maybe I should look at the VTF-1 MK3.
Old March 8th, 2017, 9:56 PM

A/Vbuff179 is on a distinguished road
The VTF-1 mk3 would be great. Usually it is not used as an MBM, but I think you could still use it that way. I'm thinking you can use the Y-splitter and probably still place it "near field". Set it to 2-port or sealed mode so it plays down to only 32Hz. Then place the VTF-3 HO up front in one of the corners, set it to max extension, crossover switch to "in", and set the crossover dial somewhere between 30-35Hz. This is what I had in mind, but I could be wrong. I hope I shed some more light on this.
Old March 9th, 2017, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/Vbuff179 View Post
The VTF-1 mk3 would be great. Usually it is not used as an MBM, but I think you could still use it that way. I'm thinking you can use the Y-splitter and probably still place it "near field". Set it to 2-port or sealed mode so it plays down to only 32Hz. Then place the VTF-3 HO up front in one of the corners, set it to max extension, crossover switch to "in", and set the crossover dial somewhere between 30-35Hz. This is what I had in mind, but I could be wrong. I hope I shed some more light on this.
Yeah, that sounds good. I actually have an Onkyo 10 inch sub in the bedroom that I might pull down just to try things out with. If things go well there then I'll probably take the plunge on the VTF-1 MK3.
Old March 20th, 2017, 5:25 PM
Administrator

Kevin_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Sorry for the super late response. I didn't even see the new threads. If you were to look to getting a sub to use along your current one, it's always best to get one that has similar power, if not more. In this case, the ULS-15 Mk2, in MBM mode, would play louder and cleaner, so it would be a good choice to run along with the VTF-3 HO. It may be that the VTF-3 HO will play louder and cleaner in the deeper bass than the ULS-15 Mk2, but since you are separating the two, the bottleneck becomes less of an issue.
Old March 24th, 2017, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Hsu View Post
Sorry for the super late response. I didn't even see the new threads. If you were to look to getting a sub to use along your current one, it's always best to get one that has similar power, if not more. In this case, the ULS-15 Mk2, in MBM mode, would play louder and cleaner, so it would be a good choice to run along with the VTF-3 HO. It may be that the VTF-3 HO will play louder and cleaner in the deeper bass than the ULS-15 Mk2, but since you are separating the two, the bottleneck becomes less of an issue.

No worries! Thank you for responding!
So you would put the ULS-15 Mk2 in MBM mode nearfield and the VTF-3 HO in max extension w/turbo farfield in that arrangement?