HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 4th, 2017, 5:30 PM

kinggimp is on a distinguished road
ULS-15 MK2 home theater performance

I currently own a VTF-3 MK4 and for the most part am happy with its performance. However, my room has a bad null centered around 80 hz. The null starts around 70 hz and extends to around 95 hz. I thought about adding a second sub like a VTF-2 MK5 or VTF-3 MK5 HP to fix the problem but both are pretty obtrusive in the location where they could go. They would stick out too far into my room. I have a open floor plan with only one actual corner in my living room. My room is someone large when you include the adjacent kitchen/dining room. About 6200 cubic feet. Ideally I would like to upgrade to dual ULS-15 MK2s due to the smaller footprint and similar performance to the VTF-3 MK4 . This is for a music/home theater setup. 60% music 40% movies. My only concern is how they will perform for home theater use. During movies I like to listen at or near reference. Should they produce enough 20 hz bass for action movies in a 6200 cubic foot room? Anybody use dual ULS-15 MK2s in a similar sized room?
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR706, Blu Ray: Sony BDP-N460
Fronts/Center: Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, Rears: Ascend Acoustics HTM-200
Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK-4
Old October 5th, 2017, 4:18 PM
Administrator

Kevin_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Hi there,

Have you tried the phase switch or adjusting the distance correction on the receiver?
Old October 11th, 2017, 9:48 AM

kinggimp is on a distinguished road
I checked the distance of the receiver and it was OK. When I checked to see if the phase made a difference I realized that the crossover on the sub was set to in instead of out. Once I flipped the switch to out the midbass returned. The switch must have gotten bumped during setup in the subs current location. Glad you had me check the settings. Kinda feel like a dummy with it being such a simple fix. smh. At least the fix didn't cost anything. Since a single sub sounds good in that location I might eventually replace it with a VTF-3 MK5 HP or VTF-15H MK2 to get some more headroom and more output in the deep bass.
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR706, Blu Ray: Sony BDP-N460
Fronts/Center: Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, Rears: Ascend Acoustics HTM-200
Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK-4
Old October 11th, 2017, 1:23 PM
Administrator

Kevin_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear it! Yea that crossover switch can certainly cause that dip in the mid-bass. In some cases it can provide some benefit in reducing localization or if you're getting a pretty big boost around the crossover.