HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 19th, 2008, 6:23 PM

Gov0525 is on a distinguished road
VTF 3.3 Max Output Mode

Greetings,

I am very close to placing an order for one. This will replace a Mirage Omni S12 subwoofer.
I need to know will the 3.3 in "maximum output" mode hit 18hz/20hz with authority? My Mirage S12 dramatically decreases in output lower than 25hz. At 20hz its really drops off to basically a whimper.
I am really hoping that the VTF 3.3 is a big enough upgrade over the S12

Thanks
Old November 19th, 2008, 6:42 PM

Bori is on a distinguished road
I have dual 3.3s and they are in Max Output with turbos and I get down to 15hz flat thanks to some room gain!
Old November 19th, 2008, 7:25 PM

bsoko is on a distinguished road
With two 3.3's on MO you can get down to 20 or even 18 in a room without the Turbo. It all depends on how you have them setup and the room. I run mine with MO and no Turbo because I like the slam that you get. Turbo's tend to be softer then MO.

Bill
Old November 19th, 2008, 7:30 PM

Curious as to what people are getting with only one 3.3. Some reviews I have seen say 21-22hz.
Old November 19th, 2008, 7:40 PM

When I had just one 3.3 Pete Hsu would say that in MO you could still get to 18hz. Yes it depends on the room but, I am sure you will not be dissappointed. Lets see if Pete Hsu will come in here and answer your question. You will need to provide room dimensions.
Old November 19th, 2008, 7:49 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
The frequency response of the VTF-3 MK3 in max output mode when measured outside and away from reflective boundaries is +/- 1db from 20-200Hz. So one should get strong in-room extension down to 18Hz or even lower.

Sincerely,
Old November 19th, 2008, 7:54 PM

bsoko is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Hsu View Post
The frequency response of the VTF-3 MK3 in max output mode when measured outside and away from reflective boundaries is +/- 1db from 20-200Hz. So one should get strong in-room extension down to 18Hz or even lower.

Sincerely,
I never have ran REW to see what mine do, but when I engaged the 15-25 hz lift (gives a boost of 3 to 4 db in that hz range) on the Anti Mode (sub EQ on LFE line) I could hear the boost kick in and then drop off. So I suspect that I was down looooooow!

Bill
Old November 19th, 2008, 8:07 PM

Quote:

Sincerely,

Thanks Pete! Is that with it switched to 25hz instead of 18hz?
I would be placing this sub 5" away from the wall between my center channel speaker and right front main. The room is 16'x17'x8' open to a kitchen about the same size.
Pete, have you heard the Mirage S12? If so, how do you think it compares to the 3.3?

Thanks
Old November 20th, 2008, 5:56 AM

thsmith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov0525 View Post
Greetings,

I am very close to placing an order for one. This will replace a Mirage Omni S12 subwoofer.
I need to know will the 3.3 in "maximum output" mode hit 18hz/20hz with authority? My Mirage S12 dramatically decreases in output lower than 25hz. At 20hz its really drops off to basically a whimper.
I am really hoping that the VTF 3.3 is a big enough upgrade over the S12

Thanks
My 33 without Turbo in MO in front left corner (snug) achieved 17.8hz, that is flat (75db). so to answer your question "will the 3.3 in "maximum output" mode hit 18hz/20hz with authority?" YES !

15x24x8-12 or 4200cf with 1800cf opening to rear right of LP

I found having the drive facing front wall and ports facing side wall worked best for me.
Old November 20th, 2008, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko View Post
I never have ran REW to see what mine do,
Bill

Bill, Bori can help you with that
Old November 20th, 2008, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thsmith View Post
Bill, Bori can help you with that

If you need help I am here for you.

Last edited by Bori : November 20th, 2008 at 3:19 PM.
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Hsu Research

Quote:
Thanks Pete! Is that with it switched to 25hz instead of 18hz?
I would be placing this sub 5" away from the wall between my center channel speaker and right front main. The room is 16'x17'x8' open to a kitchen about the same size.
Pete, have you heard the Mirage S12? If so, how do you think it compares to the 3.3?

Thanks
Gov, that frequency response is with the bass extension switch on the sub amp set to '25 Hz - 2 port open' mode.

Here is a review of the S12 where it was compared to the older VTF-3 MK2: http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...e_omni_s12.htm

The VTF-3 MK3 has flatter frequency response than VTF-3 MK2, and has almost double the port cross-sectional area too.

Sincerely,
Old November 24th, 2008, 8:21 AM

Question for Pete or anyone.....I would be placing the 3.3 about 10" away from my CRT RPTV (right side of it) and about 4" away from the wall where the ports are. I have my Mirage there now and I get no magnetic interferrance. Do you think the 3.3 would be problematic in that placement?
Old November 24th, 2008, 8:04 PM
Hsu Research

Gov, should be fine in that position...

Sincerely,
Old November 25th, 2008, 6:48 AM

I placed my order this morning! Can't wait to get it!
Should I buy a "Y" adapter for LFE in on the sub? I plan on using my receivers crossover, not the sub

Thanks
Old November 25th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Hsu Research

Gov, you won't need a y-splitter, just run a single-ended rca cable from the Sub Pre-Out on the receiver to either the left or right rca input on the subwoofer.

Thanks so much for the order, hope you like it!!!

Sincerely,

Last edited by Pete_Hsu : November 25th, 2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old November 25th, 2008, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Gov, you won't need a y-splitter, just run a single-ended rca cable from the Sub Pre-Out on the receiver to either the left or right rca input on the subwoofer.

Thanks so much for the order, hope you like it!!!

Sincerely,

Thanks
Old December 2nd, 2008, 5:17 PM

Received my sub today and in perfect condition! This thing is HUGE!!!!!! My wife had a very shocked look when we took it out of the box But, I love the smooth seamless look of it. From my limited time with it I can tell you that it is better than the Mirage omni-S12, but that is no suprise to most of you. I have not really opened it up yet, but from what I hear it sounds fantastic! I played a bit of WOTW at about -15MV and was blow away!
Oh, I am running it in MO at about 9:30 on the output dial on the back of the sub and -2.5db on the receiver SW trim.
Old December 4th, 2008, 6:11 PM

I tested my new 3.3 in ME mode today and really gained a lot under 25hz in my room. I played the first song on the test CD included in the purchase and "Oh my god" did it sound awesome! That 16hz pipe organ was crazy! In MO mode it was less spectacular. It seems like above 25hz I am only losing about 2 db in ME vs MO. This is all uncorrected on the Rat Shack SPL meter. Does this sound about right in most rooms?
I wonder if I should leave it in ME all the time.
Old December 4th, 2008, 8:45 PM

Quote:
I tested my new 3.3 in ME mode today and really gained a lot under 25hz in my room. I played the first song on the test CD included in the purchase and "Oh my god" did it sound awesome! That 16hz pipe organ was crazy! In MO mode it was less spectacular. It seems like above 25hz I am only losing about 2 db in ME vs MO. This is all uncorrected on the Rat Shack SPL meter. Does this sound about right in most rooms?
I wonder if I should leave it in ME all the time.

Yes and yes (if you want deeper bass).
Old December 5th, 2008, 9:59 AM

kmitchell is on a distinguished road
Gov,

I've been running my 2.3 in max extension mode almost from day one. I tried it in 2-port, max output mode but found that I really like the deeper bass from the 1-port, max extension mode. I plan on adding an MBM-12 soon to help fill in any mid bass that is lost by running in max extension mode.

Ken
Old December 5th, 2008, 12:22 PM

FrostyMelon is on a distinguished road
Hey Gov...same response from me here and at AVS - ME all the way for me. I felt a more 'broader' bass in MO, but not the deep bass like I do in ME.
Old December 5th, 2008, 1:13 PM

Thanks guys! I actually like both modes very much! I did a lot of messing around and basically, in my room, 22hz and up MO really kicks in. In ME bwteen 16hz and 22hz it really rocks!
I think I will end up keeping it in MO most of the time because I don't ever listen to a pipe organ (except on the HSU CD ) and that I have a rather large room to fill with HT.
Its nice to switch modes if I want to and it takes less than 30 seconds to do it! I am very happy with this sub! It does everything right!