HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 18th, 2014, 12:58 AM

JONJH is on a distinguished road
uls 15 output

Hi I bought a uls 15 and had a mk 2 mk 4 amp replaced in my mk 2 sub. I am a little disenchanted by the performance of my uls15 vs my mk2 mk4. I have to run the uls at a higher volume than what I have had to do with the mk2. This is a 2.1 system and only listen to music. I'm really underwhelmed by the uls. It seems the solution is to buy 1 to run duals or 3 for a quad drive.(It's like buying a vehicle but you have to buy more tires so you can drive it.) I never had that situation with my mk 2. It was adequate but wanted to upgrade my system. I see a lot of people disenchanted until they buy more subs which to me is not a direction that I want to go. I bought what I understood was the flagship of your subs.Why should I have to add anything when I bought the top of the line. My mk2 never made me feel this way. Maybe the frequencies I like are better served in the mk2 or your other ported designs. My room is 16"x17"x8" I have the sub crossed over at 85, trim at halfway and the volume at 1-1:30 which I never have had to run the mk2 above 10:00-10:30. Sounded awful. I bought the uls on 12/20 but had a death in my wife's family so I haven't had the time to listen as much as I'd like. But as of right now I am not a happy camper

Last edited by JONJH : January 18th, 2014 at 1:22 AM.
Old January 18th, 2014, 3:55 PM

shadyJ is on a distinguished road
The output levels you can expect are plainly posted on the ULS product page and you can compare them with the rest of Hsu's lines which all have their output levels posted (except for the MBM-12). It's hard to call the ULS Hsu's flagship sub although it is their most expensive. It's a good sub which trades output for size. It does not get as loud as the VTF3 or VTF15h and this can easily be seen by comparing their CEA output levels on their respective product pages. You can't blame Hsu when you glossed over this. NO other subwoofer company posts proper CEA output measurements by which you can compare their own products. No other subwoofer company is as open about their own products' performance differences.
Old January 18th, 2014, 11:34 PM

SME is on a distinguished road
Hang on a sec. A single ULS-15 ought to be plenty for music playback. What you said was: I have to run the uls at a higher volume than what I have had to do with the mk2.

Just because you have to run it at a "higher volume" doesn't mean it doesn't perform as well or better than the VTF-2 MK4. It just means that its amp has less gain. If the sub is fed a stronger signal, then you would need to set the volume on the sub lower to get it to play at the same level. It means nothing as far as the performance of the sub is concerned.

The performance of the sub is more appropriately judged by how much bass it can produce before going into distortion. The CEA numbers that shadyj points to are sound pressure levels measured under standardized laboratory conditions under which distortion from the sub being tested becomes objectionable. You should note that the ULS-15 is similar to the VTF-2 in the deep bass and clearly exceeds it throughout the range that contains almost all musical bass.

Now if you are indeed hearing distortion or other signs of trouble, there may be another issue here as setup or placement. Is the ULS-15 in the same location that the VTF-2 was in? Can you describe how you have the sub connected to the rest of the system? What kind of music do you listen to and how do you like to listen?
Old January 19th, 2014, 12:48 PM

ULS15 output

Shady J I actually went into the shop to listen to the sub. I have read all of there specs and don't argue them at all. My issue is as stated it seems that I have to raise the volume or gain to get the same db and when I read other forums the fix is to buy more subs. It could be an adjustment that I do not feel comfortable with as the mk2 never was raised to the level on the volume control and that seems backwards as the uls has more power than the mk2. I do not need you to try and talk to me like the village idiot however. I didn't gloss over anything. I have read all the specs and am somewhat familiar with them. I am not trying to be a smart aleck but do feel your remarks were a little tasteless and a personal attack (my apologies if needed).
SME the sub is in the same position and I still have the mk2 and have switched them out and it is a little disenchanting as it seems the uls doesn't seem to hit as hard as the mk2. It is very accurate and I like that. It just doesn't seem right having to raise the volume as high as I am having to do to match my mains. I will be doing more testing with a better spl meter next week and will do a sub crawl if necessary. Maybe the dynamics have changed as one is downfiring and the other is front-firing and am moving from a ported 12" to a sealed 15". I have an Emotiva USP-1, XPA-2, Sony cd player, Denon tape deck, Numark turntable, Grace Digital tuner and Mirage om-10's. I have used the crossover on the preamp and the one on the uls switching it in and out as necessary. I listen to Jazz,Classical,Gospel and instrumentals.
Old January 19th, 2014, 1:25 PM

shadyJ is on a distinguished road
Remember that the point of the volume knob is arbitrary. it doesn't mean much. Most of Hsu's volume knobs are on the sensitive side, and this may vary from model to model. On other models of subs I have had the 12 o clock position might have the same amount of gain as the 9 o clock position on the Hsu, even when it was just as powerful of a sub. What output you get from the volume knob doesn't have much to do with the sub's actual performance capability though. If you need to turn up the volume knob higher to get the sub louder, there is no harm in doing so.
Old January 19th, 2014, 1:52 PM

ULS15

I guess that is part of my concern. It just seems to have to be run a little higher to get the same db. if you run it higher it will get touchy at high volume. I'm not used to that in the same brand of product especially when it is a more powerful amp. I will get more time this week with a meter and get a little better feel for it. I just do not want to over drive the amp
Old January 20th, 2014, 5:16 PM
Administrator

Kevin_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Hi JonJH,

What you are explaining is actually correct. The gain on the ULS-15 is less sensitive than the VTF series so you would need to turn it up a bit more to achieve the same output.

Sincerely,
Kevin
Old January 21st, 2014, 10:31 AM

Ok Thank you Kevin. It just seems strange that an amp with more power has to be turned up higher. If that is the norm then I'm good. I'll turn it up and enjoy.
Old January 21st, 2014, 3:33 PM
Administrator

Kevin_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Hi there,

Yea I see what you mean. Many things factored into why the gain knob isn't as sensitive to our ported line, even due to it being a sealed design. I remember our earlier VTF series subs had a more sensitive gain control than the ones we do now.

Sincerely,
Kevin
Old January 25th, 2014, 2:26 PM

I just bought a new amp for the mk2 and it seems more sensitive at the volume controls than the ULS. I did a subwoofer crawl and have found a much better spot to set the ULS. I am wondering if I should run the mk2 as a midrange booster. It's that or sell it local so as to avoid shipping. I live in the Inland Empire. If someone is interested. I do know this is not the right part of the forum to post things for sell but do not want to start a new thread. Pm me if you are interested. I want $400 and it has a new amp. there are some cosmetic flaws but it is a great sounding sub.