HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:43 PM

spikeitaudi is on a distinguished road
Thinking of getting a VTF-2 MK3.

I currently have a Klipsch KSW10 sub. Have had it for over 12 years. Worked good for what I needed back then. Since then I have moved a couple of times and have settled into a new home now that the main viewing room is about 4500 Cubic feet, but the left side opens up into a sitting area and kitchen that is approx 6000+ Cubic feet. With that said I know I should probaly move up into the VTF -3 MK3. But the wife thinks the KSW10 has plenty of punch and sound good enough. I actually don't think the KSW10 is that bad either but I know the VTF-2 MK3 would be light years ahead. I just purchased a PIO Elite VSX-23TXS and it sounds much much better then my previous Kenwood VR2090 system it replaced. So my question is the VTF-2 MK3 really that much better then my KSW10? I am reluctant to buy also cause I can't actually hear it anywhere.

Anybody near Clinton, NJ willing to let me take a listen to their HSU VTF-2 Sub?
Old February 23rd, 2010, 3:49 PM

kinggimp is on a distinguished road
I own a VTF-2 MK-3 and just love it. I had a STF-2 before this and the difference was a night and day. And it's not like the STF-2 sounded bad. And I purchased both of them without hearing them first. The audio quality of the VTF-2 MK-3 is incredible. I definitely think you will be incredibly happy if you purchase one. IMO at that price range the VTF-2 MK-3 is a steal.
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR706, Blu Ray: Sony BDP-N460
Fronts/Center: Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, Rears: Ascend Acoustics HTM-200
Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK-4
Old February 23rd, 2010, 8:53 PM

monkuboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggimp View Post
I own a VTF-2 MK-3 and just love it. I had a STF-2 before this and the difference was a night and day. And it's not like the STF-2 sounded bad. And I purchased both of them without hearing them first. The audio quality of the VTF-2 MK-3 is incredible. I definitely think you will be incredibly happy if you purchase one. IMO at that price range the VTF-2 MK-3 is a steal.
If you don't mind, could you please elaborate on the differences between the VTF-2 Mk III and the STF-2? Is it just a matter of loudness, or is it also more musical? I'm thinking more in terms of what the advantages are in a 2.1 setup. Thanks!
________
Ferrari f2003-ga

Last edited by monkuboy : March 8th, 2011 at 8:20 PM.
Old February 24th, 2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkuboy View Post
If you don't mind, could you please elaborate on the differences between the VTF-2 Mk III and the STF-2? Is it just a matter of loudness, or is it also more musical? I'm thinking more in terms of what the advantages are in a 2.1 setup. Thanks!
Would you be using the sub mainly for music or home theater? Or more like 50 50 for each? Also how big is your listing area?
Old February 24th, 2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggimp View Post
Would you be using the sub mainly for music or home theater? Or more like 50 50 for each? Also how big is your listing area?
The music aspect is more important to me. The STF-2 shakes the room plenty for me so HT isn't as much of a consideration as is music. The room is about 2,500 cubic feet but opens into a kitchen area on one side.

So I was wondering what sound differences you experienced between the two subs.

Thanks!

(BTW, I'd be interested in hearing other opinions also but Andrew in particular since he's had experience with both the STF-2 and VTF-2 Mk 3)
________
BUY VOLCANO VAPORIZER

Last edited by monkuboy : March 8th, 2011 at 8:21 PM.
Old February 24th, 2010, 7:27 PM

Quote:
The music aspect is more important to me. The STF-2 shakes the room plenty for me so HT isn't as much of a consideration as is music. The room is about 2,500 cubic feet but opens into a kitchen area on one side.

So I was wondering what sound differences you experienced between the two subs.

Thanks!

(BTW, I'd be interested in hearing other opinions also but Andrew in particular since he's had experience with both the STF-2 and VTF-2 Mk 3)
I think the first thing that I noticed was that VTF-2 MK-3 has more mid bass punch and is tighter than the STF-2. It also seems to output bass with more ease and less effort then the STF-2. My listing area is about 1,350 cubic feet and the VTF-2 MK-3 just plays with more authority than the STF-2. IMO In your room I think the VTF-2 MK-3 would just fill the space better and would sound better overall. I think it is more musical then the STF-2. And if you decide to watch movies the extra bass extension makes movies that much more enjoyable. Hope that answers your question.
Old February 24th, 2010, 9:10 PM

Thanks for your impressions, Andrew. I like the idea of more effortless sound. Well, this is something to think about. It really isn't in the budget but the more I read about something - you know where that leads, haha... anyway, thank you! Oh by the way - which mode do you use, or do you go back and forth between them?
________
VAPORIZER

Last edited by monkuboy : March 8th, 2011 at 8:21 PM.
Old February 25th, 2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your impressions, Andrew. I like the idea of more effortless sound. Well, this is something to think about. It really isn't in the budget but the more I read about something - you know where that leads, haha... anyway, thank you! Oh by the way - which mode do you use, or do you go back and forth between them?
Maximum extension
Old February 26th, 2010, 4:59 AM

Birdy is on a distinguished road
Thank you for your impression also, Andrew. I am also looking for a HSU sub in my 1000 cu. ft. bedroom and your brief review really changed my perspective on the more expensive subs. I always thought the more expensive subs will be overkill and the STF-1 or 2 bass punch should be similar and more than sufficient in my room. I definitely want the extra punch and tightness if the difference is really noticeable. Now I may have another reason to get a more beefy sub and hopefully I can find a good price on a b-stock or used one .
Old February 26th, 2010, 6:12 AM

cacihome is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeitaudi View Post
I currently have a Klipsch KSW10 sub. Have had it for over 12 years. Worked good for what I needed back then. Since then I have moved a couple of times and have settled into a new home now that the main viewing room is about 4500 Cubic feet, but the left side opens up into a sitting area and kitchen that is approx 6000+ Cubic feet. With that said I know I should probaly move up into the VTF -3 MK3. But the wife thinks the KSW10 has plenty of punch and sound good enough. I actually don't think the KSW10 is that bad either but I know the VTF-2 MK3 would be light years ahead. I just purchased a PIO Elite VSX-23TXS and it sounds much much better then my previous Kenwood VR2090 system it replaced. So my question is the VTF-2 MK3 really that much better then my KSW10? I am reluctant to buy also cause I can't actually hear it anywhere.

Anybody near Clinton, NJ willing to let me take a listen to their HSU VTF-2 Sub?
Hi, spike,

Considering you have a smaller sub, and you are not entirely satisfied with it...

Definately, for that big space I would look for something as the VTF-3 Mk3 at least... One VTf-3 Mk3 in max output mode may have the power you need for that space, not at reference levels, but ok, i'm afraid the 2.3 will not be enough, if we are talking of 6000+4,500 of cubic foot space...At least not to a bass adict like myself...hahahahah

However, I must say the 2.3 and 3.3 are not too distant from each other...(3-4db difference at the most) But since your space is that big, and the money difference/space each one has is not that different... I strongly suggest you get at least the 3.3. Actually, later on, if the total space is 10,500cufeet get a pair.

In any case, as you said, the 2.3 is more powerful than the KSW10" sub, and definately sounds cleaner. I have heard them both, just in case.

Sincerely,
Caci

Last edited by cacihome : February 26th, 2010 at 6:23 AM.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacihome View Post
Hi, spike,

Considering you have a smaller sub, and you are not entirely satisfied with it...

Definately, for that big space I would look for something as the VTF-3 Mk3 at least... One VTf-3 Mk3 in max output mode may have the power you need for that space, not at reference levels, but ok, i'm afraid the 2.3 will not be enough, if we are talking of 6000+4,500 of cubic foot space...At least not to a bass adict like myself...hahahahah

However, I must say the 2.3 and 3.3 are not too distant from each other...(3-4db difference at the most) But since your space is that big, and the money difference/space each one has is not that different... I strongly suggest you get at least the 3.3. Actually, later on, if the total space is 10,500cufeet get a pair.

In any case, as you said, the 2.3 is more powerful than the KSW10" sub, and definately sounds cleaner. I have heard them both, just in case.

Sincerely,
Caci

Thanks Caci. I have decided to wait a bit on the Sub. Was going to get the 2 but am going to wait alittle longer and pony up for the 3 I think.

I wish someone had one around that I could listen too. That would be a real difference maker.
Old March 8th, 2010, 8:27 AM

Well I decided to spring for the VTF-2 Mk 3 and am happy I did. The difference between that and the STF-2 is just as Kinggimp (Andrew) said. They are both very good subs, though. I still have to do some fine tuning of it as I only listened a little bit on the weekend but it did confirm Andrew's description. Hsu makes some fine products! I will do a review soon but need to listen some more.

Also as I mentioned in another thread, dealing with Pete was a pleasure. He's first class all the way!
________
Yamaha Dgx-620

Last edited by monkuboy : March 8th, 2011 at 8:22 PM.
Old March 8th, 2010, 5:20 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Thanks monkuboy, you are too kind
Old March 9th, 2010, 6:11 PM

Finally getting one.

Hey Pete,

It was good talking to you today. Quick question, with my KSW10 I have a Composite cable connecting it on one end to the preamp sub on the reciever and on the sub side I have the composite connected to a y adapter composite cable and into the ksw10 I am assuming I connected the VTF-2 MK3 the sameway. My question is the cable and y adapter is about 11 years old. Do the cables degrade significantly enough that I need to replace them?

Picking it up on Saturday, can't wait.

Regards.
Old March 9th, 2010, 9:52 PM
Hsu Research

Hey spike, nice to see you here

It should be fine to use the old cables. Note that you will only need to feed one of the rca low level inputs on the VTF subwoofer.

Thanks

Sincerely,
Old March 10th, 2010, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Hsu View Post
Hey spike, nice to see you here

It should be fine to use the old cables. Note that you will only need to feed one of the rca low level inputs on the VTF subwoofer.

Thanks

Sincerely,
Why is that the LFE only requires one RCA input and the older style required the Y adapter for left and right? Just curious.

Pete any chance you can send me the tuning cd?

Last edited by spikeitaudi : March 10th, 2010 at 5:32 AM.
Old March 10th, 2010, 5:55 AM

ROBERT760 is on a distinguished road
Talking I GOT MY VTF3 MK3 LAST FRIDAY

Quote:

HI SPIKE YA MAN ITS A BIG DIFFERNCE I HAVE 2 KLIPSCH SUB 10'S THEY HIT HARD BUT WHEN I PAIRED IT UP TO MY VTF3 MAN ITS A BEAST IT HITS HARDER AND LOUDER U CAN FEEL IT REALLY GOOD I HAVE IT NEARFILED NEXT TO MY COUCH WITH THE SUB HITING THE COUCH AND IN PICTURES THEY LOOK SMALL BUT LIKE I SAID ITS A BEAST IT MAKES MY KLIPSCH LOOK LIKE COMPUTER SUB'S.
Old March 10th, 2010, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT760 View Post
HI YA MAN ITS A BIG DIFFERNCE I HAVE 2 KLIPSCH SUB 10'S THEY HIT HARD BUT WHEN I PAIRED IT UP TO MY VTF3 MAN ITS A BEAST IT HITS HARDER AND LOUDER U CAN FEEL IT REALLY GOOD I HAVE IT NEARFILED NEXT TO MY COUCH WITH THE SUB HITING THE COUCH AND IN PICTURES THEY LOOK SMALL BUT LIKE I SAID ITS A BEAST IT MAKES MY KLIPSCH LOOK LIKE COMPUTER SUB'S.
Thanks. That is what I was thinking as well.
Old March 10th, 2010, 10:05 AM

I have had my VTF-2 Mk 3 for a few days now and I am very pleased. The box arrived in pristine condition. I unpacked it, put on the spikes and then set it in the corner on top of an Auralex Gramma where my STF-2 used to be.

As kinggimp mentioned, this plays with a lot more authority and is more effortless than the STF-2. I have it set just around 9:00 and that's fine for me. Music is well defined and when listening to HT, the impact is certainly there. It is nice and clean - very precise and crisp. It is like the STF-2 but moreso, and it goes deeper. I tried the bass note sample CD and the 16 hz tones are certainly there! I also listened to the T-Rex scene from Jurassic Park and that had plenty of well-defined rumble.

What I use to evaluate changes I make in the system are the fight scenes from Kill Bill, such as the scene featuring Uma Thurman versus GoGo Yubari. The bass comes through with plenty of impact and realism.

Well, there's not much else I can say. I am not a bass nut so I keep the sub turned to what I feel is a balanced level rather than emphasizing trying to loosen the foundations of the house. I am sure the VTF-2 Mk 3 is capable of doing that but I just want accuracy. It seems to deliver that with no problem.

Thumbs up on a great product! And also, thanks again to Pete for his help during the buying process. You can be sure I will recommend Hsu products whenever possible. I miss my STF-2 but I think the person who bought it will take good care of it.. there was not a mark or scratch on it! The VTF-2 Mk 3 is an excellent sub.
________
Ecigarette

Last edited by monkuboy : March 8th, 2011 at 8:22 PM.
Old March 11th, 2010, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Why is that the LFE only requires one RCA input and the older style required the Y adapter for left and right? Just curious.

Pete, any response to the above?
Old March 11th, 2010, 5:26 PM
Hsu Research

Hi spike,

Quote:

Many older systems have a preamplifier section with only left and right rca pre-outs and not a single subwoofer pre-out, so one would need to feed left and right rca inputs on the subwoofer to get the full content from both channels. With a single (mono) subwoofer pre-out, this is no longer necessary.

We include a test CD with all of our VTF and ULS subwoofers. Feel free to give us a call us if you would like a separate CD.

Thanks

Sincerely,
Old March 12th, 2010, 8:09 PM

totoro is on a distinguished road
Many older systems have a preamplifier section with only left and right rca pre-outs and not a single subwoofer pre-out, so one would need to feed left and right rca inputs on the subwoofer to get the full content from both channels. With a single (mono) subwoofer pre-out, this is no longer necessary.

Will it hurt anything on the sub if you still use the Y adaptor?
Old March 13th, 2010, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoro View Post

I doubt it.

But I just picked up my HSU Vtf2-Mk3 sub. It was used for only 8 months. And barely. Perfect shape. This thing is awesome.
Old March 13th, 2010, 8:13 PM
Hsu Research

Hi totoro,

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoro View Post
No, this won't hurt anything, although it will increase your gain (ie. volume) by 6db, so one would have to adjust the subwoofer channel level downward on the receiver to keep everything balanced with the mains.

Sincerely,