HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 18th, 2013, 9:19 AM

The1stCAVvet is on a distinguished road
Dual VTF-15H Subs replacing my MFW-15's (RIP)

Just coming in to say hello and to say I took the plunge, replaced my retired MFW-15 dual subs, and have now replaced them with these VTF-15H subs. The first one arrived yesterday and WOW what a sexy sub. I got it unboxed, stopped, and just stared. My wife said she wasn't sure she liked the way I looked at that sub (I think she was jealous) .

I was so disappointed both did not arrive at the same time - seems FedEx got the orders split up or the delivery dude didn't want to mess with both of these in one delivery - lol. Tracking this morning showed the other is slated to arrive today and I get to dial them in today. They should compliment the new 65" Sammy well that also arrived yesterday........... - those MFW-15's have been dead for too long, oh how I missed the LFE fun.
Old December 18th, 2013, 10:59 AM

Tom C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1stCAVvet View Post
Just coming in to say hello and to say I took the plunge, replaced my retired MFW-15 dual subs, and have now replaced them with these VTF-15H subs. The first one arrived yesterday and WOW what a sexy sub. I got it unboxed, stopped, and just stared. My wife said she wasn't sure she liked the way I looked at that sub (I think she was jealous) .

I was so disappointed both did not arrive at the same time - seems FedEx got the orders split up or the delivery dude didn't want to mess with both of these in one delivery - lol. Tracking this morning showed the other is slated to arrive today and I get to dial them in today. They should compliment the new 65" Sammy well that also arrived yesterday........... - those MFW-15's have been dead for too long, oh how I missed the LFE fun.
And fun you will have! Congrats!
Old December 18th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Ask for a demo

lradden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1stCAVvet View Post

Congrats on the twins. I have a single 15H and am planning on buying another one in a week or two. Where are you planning on placing them?

Old December 18th, 2013, 12:57 PM

Both subs are in - Got them hooked up, set them the way Support suggested for my room and the way I wanted to use them, ran the Pioneer MCACC, and..........

Yep one happy camper - time to watch some Iron Man 3 in 3D - I'm totally in love.

I put in the Joe Bonamassa Live from Albert Hall Blu Ray, my wife cranked the SC-27 to +5.00, had those Paradigm Studio 100's and Studio 60's blasting, and those subs, OMG those subs just kept up - it was a wonderful thing (walks away w/tears in my eyes).
Attached Images

Last edited by The1stCAVvet : December 20th, 2013 at 4:35 AM.
Old December 18th, 2013, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lradden View Post
Congrats on the twins. I have a single 15H and am planning on buying another one in a week or two. Where are you planning on placing them?
TY TY - glad my wife has approved - its all good from here
Old December 18th, 2013, 10:02 PM

SME is on a distinguished road
Congrats! You'll have to share your impressions with Iron Man 3! I haven't seen it yet, but I do remember Iron Man 2 having strong deep bass in some of the flying scenes.

Have you heard the 16 Hz organ music yet? Infrasonic bass isn't as common in films, but there several. A few I can recommend are: How to Train Your Dragon; 9; The Incredible Hulk.

I myself just watched Thor. which may not have much under 20 Hz but has no shortage of bass at 20 Hz and above. The bass impulses in this are very powerful! Even many of the "quiet" scenes pumped up the room with low tones that made my ears and stomach feel weird but were otherwise too quiet to hear. I must say though, Thor is among the loudest movies (even ignoring the bass) I've heard. The Destroyer's blasts are just plain scary.
Old December 19th, 2013, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SME View Post
Congrats! You'll have to share your impressions with Iron Man 3! I haven't seen it yet, but I do remember Iron Man 2 having strong deep bass in some of the flying scenes.

Have you heard the 16 Hz organ music yet? Infrasonic bass isn't as common in films, but there several. A few I can recommend are: How to Train Your Dragon; 9; The Incredible Hulk.

I myself just watched Thor. which may not have much under 20 Hz but has no shortage of bass at 20 Hz and above. The bass impulses in this are very powerful! Even many of the "quiet" scenes pumped up the room with low tones that made my ears and stomach feel weird but were otherwise too quiet to hear. I must say though, Thor is among the loudest movies (even ignoring the bass) I've heard. The Destroyer's blasts are just plain scary.
I need to get an SPL I suppose, because I am not sure at what level the bass was coming at me, but I had certain parts getting massaged through the movie as the bass rumbled the couch - does that count as accurate bass measurements? Seriously it wasn't "loud" in the sense that my neighbors were calling the cops for me to turn it down, but the couch has never vibrated the way it did last night on Iron Man 3, The Wolverine, then I threw in Pacific Rim BR played a couple fight scenes and I can say I was in total awe.

Iron man was a great movie, in 3D at home it was even better IMO, but not sure if it had the bass boom like Thor or Hulk or some other pounding style movie. Pacific Rim did have its moments where the bass was "OMFG thats tight" because it wasn't overpowering, but you knew it was hitting hard, and felt it vibrating as the fight scenes were on. The MFW-15's would have been "burrring" the whole time, sure I would have felt them, but the bass from them would have had my wife telling me to turn it down because that "burr" sound would have taken over the audio (if that makes sense - audiophile I am not, but I do appreciate good sound), these VTF-15H's just did what they should have and let me know they were there in the background giving me that massage. My son-in-law came over last night and his jaw was wide open as we tested them on Pacific Rim, it was fun.

I am going to BB today to buy Thor in 3D - heard way too much about its Bass tracks, loved the movie enough to go get it on BR 3D and hopefully pick up The Incredible Hulk at a bargain too. I "somehow" left my BR wishlist on the printer and the kitchen counter as well, so maybe Mrs Clause will consider dropping Marvel's The Avengers, Captain America: The First Avenger, G.I. Joe: Retaliation, Priest, John Carter, or Conan the Barbarian into a stocking, j/s.

Will report back on Thor - cannot wait. I am a 3D + LFE whore now I found my newest addiction, hope the neighbors dont care
Old December 19th, 2013, 11:28 AM

The VTF-15Hs are both powerful and articulate throughout their range. The degree of texture and detail within the sounds and tactile sensations never ceases to amaze me.

Out of curiosity, what does your room look like, where do you sit, and where are your subs placed? Room and placement can make a huge difference with respect to performance.

I recently moved my subs (VTF-15H and VTF3-MK4) from the sides of my sofa (end tables) to the front stage. That position really tightened up and brought to life the deep bass, but unfortunately I lost the mid-bass impact I had. The room is muddying the sound too much, and so I don't get very much tactile effect (chest punch) from mid-bass anymore. I'm thinking some MBMs may be in my near future.
Old December 19th, 2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SME View Post
The VTF-15Hs are both powerful and articulate throughout their range. The degree of texture and detail within the sounds and tactile sensations never ceases to amaze me.

Out of curiosity, what does your room look like, where do you sit, and where are your subs placed? Room and placement can make a huge difference with respect to performance.

I recently moved my subs (VTF-15H and VTF3-MK4) from the sides of my sofa (end tables) to the front stage. That position really tightened up and brought to life the deep bass, but unfortunately I lost the mid-bass impact I had. The room is muddying the sound too much, and so I don't get very much tactile effect (chest punch) from mid-bass anymore. I'm thinking some MBMs may be in my near future.
I attached the downstairs floor plan and where things sit, everything in green is basically open flowing space - I also put up a iPhone pic of the subs on either side of the 65" 8000 series Sammy I also just upgraded to within the same 24 hours as the subs - so its a 3D/LFE Holiday around here - lol, I also just added 2x more 27" 144hz monitors to my PC so I can game (err I mean work) at 5960x1080 in 3D. Its been a fun week to say the least.
Attached Images

Old December 20th, 2013, 10:06 AM

OMG - I was able to crank up The Incredible Hulk while my wife was out - that bass in the "target acquired" scene and the one where they got him on the campus and the whole fight there - WOW - both subs still at the initial settings Support had me put them on, the volume sitting at around 12:30-1 O' clock on the knob position for both subs (not sure what number that was) - and the Pioneer SC-27 on -10.00 was more than enough to sit through. WOW that was amazing, totally addicted now, gotta find more pounding bass experiences like that. Pants were vibrating, couch was shaking, dog ran for cover, I was in total awe. Never were those MFW's able to hit like that - ok I'm in love with these Sub-woofers.

Last edited by The1stCAVvet : December 20th, 2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 5:16 AM

My wife told me to go ahead and throw away the boxes, she doesn't want them on the back porch any longer I knew she could appreciate good bass, I guess she has adopted the "twins" too - come on bulk pick-up, these babies have settled into their place in the living room.

Thanks HSU for some amazing sub's. Those Dual MFW-15's were my first pair of "real" subs, but wow, these babies are a major upgrade and I can appreciate now what I was missing all those years.

Now I need to curb this Blu Ray 3D ordering addiction I have found myself with, like a junkie, every time I open a browser I start by looking at what else I "need" to order to experience with these VTF-15's (suggestions welcome) ....................

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...46635215072253

All the best to you all and happy holidays.

Last edited by The1stCAVvet : December 23rd, 2013 at 5:56 AM.
Old December 28th, 2013, 7:41 AM

OK, so I went back and tested these VTF-15's on a movie I used to think those MFW-15's were awesome on - Terminator Salvation. Has anyone tested this movie in terms of how low the bass tracks on this movie goes? All I can say is again - wow - what a major difference in the tightness of bass and vibrations these VTF-15's gave sitting at the 50% volume mark. The scene where the robot is assaulting the service station, then the ensuing fight, etc - that used to rattle my dishes in the kitchen and fireplace a bit with the MFW-15's, but I really never felt it like I do now. Now these VTF-15's do an amazing job while rattling my neighbors dishes now - I mean they handled that portion of the movie like I would never have dreamed it would sound - twas amazing (Y)

Does anyone know how low that movie actually goes in terms of bass? I know it is pretty amazing compared to The Incredible Hulk in terms of pant rattling, heart thumping, couch vibrating bass.
Old December 29th, 2013, 9:56 AM

Radon is on a distinguished road
Your excitement makes my having to wait more painful. I have to wait till next year to make a trip down to the U.S. to pickup the sub to avoid that pesky duty. I like the tv stand it blends nicely with the Subs.
Old January 13th, 2014, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radon View Post
Your excitement makes my having to wait more painful. I have to wait till next year to make a trip down to the U.S. to pickup the sub to avoid that pesky duty. I like the tv stand it blends nicely with the Subs.
The excitement is very understandable once you get your second one, you will understand. The pain of wanting, makes the having that much sweeter.

The TV Stand is made by a company called "Standout Designs" - I love this thing TBH, has exhaust fans that turn on automatically and run based on thermals in the two sections, it fits my Paradigm CC-590 in the center like it was meant to be, etc. My wife did not want the glass fronts, she liked the speaker grill mesh stuff, so we got that instead of the smoked glass or clear glass option. There was a bottom shelf on the one we bought, but they sell a speaker mesh screen thing that you can do to replace the drawer with, so that is what gives that whole thing the look it does. I know they have made improvements over the years, but this one is about 4 years old and solid wood. It willl be with me for many years to come, I do like it and the subs do flank it well
Old January 13th, 2014, 11:05 AM

pr@j is on a distinguished road
I believe "jealous" is the word....
Old January 13th, 2014, 4:38 PM

Radon is on a distinguished road
Well i couldn't wait sub was ordered and picked up at a us post office box on saturday. I declared full value but no duty/tax charged 400 savings vs having it shipped to canada. You are a crazy man with 2 my wifes grin, after the size shock, from feeling the couch shake in the intro scene of the lord of the rings says it all. 2 must be awe inspiring.
Old January 14th, 2014, 4:21 PM
Administrator

Kevin_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Awesome Radon! Yea it's always nice to have the ability to pick up the subwoofer from within the US.

Glad you are enjoying your subwoofers The1stCAVvet, and Radon! Welcome to the Hsu Family.

Sincerely,
Kevin
Old May 5th, 2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radon View Post
Well i couldn't wait sub was ordered and picked up at a us post office box on saturday. I declared full value but no duty/tax charged 400 savings vs having it shipped to canada. You are a crazy man with 2 my wifes grin, after the size shock, from feeling the couch shake in the intro scene of the lord of the rings says it all. 2 must be awe inspiring.
Ahh I am totally in love with dual VTF-15's - I want 4 now lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Hsu View Post
Awesome Radon! Yea it's always nice to have the ability to pick up the subwoofer from within the US.

Glad you are enjoying your subwoofers The1stCAVvet, and Radon! Welcome to the Hsu Family.

Sincerely,
Kevin
My neighbors want to know when its movie time - I guess the 8ft board on board fence isnt doing its job isolating the sound emanating from this house They would rather come over and watch than be stuck just hearing their dishes rattle - Yeah, now to get the boss to let two more of these babies come home............so I can place them 8" apart, facing each other, and sitting behind the couch. That should take care of any bass needs at that point.
Old May 5th, 2014, 9:31 PM

4 VTF-15Hs? I don't think I've heard of anyone going that far, yet.

Do your neighbors dishes really rattle? How close are their houses? I've heard of bass vibrations being transmitted between houses by way of fences, so I am curious.

In the tests I've run in my home, the lowest frequencies are practically inaudible right outside my front door. I would guess my neighbors mainly hear the mid and upper bass, from 40 Hz on up. I can't help but wonder though if someone's windows are resonating off in the distance. Maybe no one here cares because we have regular helicopter fly-overs that deliver strong infrasonic energy, day and night.