HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 17th, 2013, 6:21 AM

Awoken4Life is on a distinguished road
ULS15 Wireless subwoofer ?'s

My situation would best be solved by a wireless subwoofer but I'm wondering what the specs are for the wireless subwoofer kit included in the ULS15. Using this unit am I going to experience any noticeable delay in the signal? What is the frequency this works at? Am I going to lose any of the sub 20hz freqs for home theater application? I have seen where people have complained that in music there is a delay that throws the song off (they were not complaining about your unit, but another one). Will that be an issue? Does the receiver auto setup hear the time lag and apply a delay to make up for it? How reliable is the signal transfer?
Old July 18th, 2013, 3:41 PM

JerryMeeker is on a distinguished road
The biggest issue, which has been reported before, is whether your wireless connection to the sub will be static-free. In my home, which has approximately 20 wireless devices plus a cordless telephone, I have never been able to have a wireless connection that was free of annoying pops and crackles.

As far as your other questions, I don't know, because I have never left the wireless connection on long enough to test anything else.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 3:34 PM
Administrator

Kevin_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Hi Awoken4Life,

Good questions. The wireless system works on the 2.4 ghz band. The system comes with a 4 channel switch to help avoid interference from other signals such as wireless internet or phone. The wireless will be able to send a signal below 20 Hz. As with any wireless there will be a very slight delay (3-5 milliseconds) and many receivers do have built in delay units so you can sync up your speakers if need be. Reliability of the signal transfer depends on the wireless signals are being sent from things like your phone or wireless router/modem or even a microwave. All of those can really do a number on how well your signal transmits, as JerryMeeker pointed out.

Sincerely,
Kevin
Old July 17th, 2014, 6:14 PM

suzook1 is on a distinguished road
5ghz band

do you think you will move to a 5ghz band for the receivers?
Old July 20th, 2014, 5:32 PM

Todd G. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awoken4Life View Post
My situation would best be solved by a wireless subwoofer but I'm wondering what the specs are for the wireless subwoofer kit included in the ULS15. Using this unit am I going to experience any noticeable delay in the signal? What is the frequency this works at? Am I going to lose any of the sub 20hz freqs for home theater application? I have seen where people have complained that in music there is a delay that throws the song off (they were not complaining about your unit, but another one). Will that be an issue? Does the receiver auto setup hear the time lag and apply a delay to make up for it? How reliable is the signal transfer?
I am borrowing a ULS-15 from a friend at the moment because his young son broke the antenna and he cannot use the wireless capability. But my friend indicated that using the wireless capability yields a -3dB difference in actual volume with the volume knob in the same position. He did say that was easily remedied by turning the sub up louder to compensate and that the sub still works very well. Other than this, my friend said this sub exceeded all expectations and exhibited no issues with regard to delay or loss of signal frequency.

This sub is a beast and I can't wait to buy two for the future theater build out in our basement.