HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 1st, 2013, 6:55 AM

Splotto is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Splotto
VTF-3 HO Rhythmic Thumping

Hello:

I recently moved and I have 2 VTF-3 HO's (one with the turbo). This is the first time I have both subs in the same room.

I have them both connected to my receiver via the SUB OUT, with a Y connector splitting the signal to both subs.

One of the HO's thumps rhythmically once it's powered up and the system is OFF. It is a series of about 8 thumps, followed by silence, and then it repeats.

The thumps ARE present when the system is ON.

The thumps stop when I disconnect the other sub.

I have tried alternating the phases and the thumps are still present.

I have tried several connectors with no change.

The AUTO power will not shut the unit down (I assume it's seeing the thumps as a signal and not powering down).

Any thoughts or guidance?

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited by Splotto : December 1st, 2013 at 9:10 AM.
Old December 5th, 2013, 4:04 AM

e_grimmace is on a distinguished road
I get the same thing on my dual VTF-15 setup connected by a Y cable. The thumping stops as soon as I turn one of them off (power disconnected). I figured it was along the lines of feedback from the connection. The subwoofer on another receiver output does not do it. Mine sounds like wub wub wub getting softer for about 8 of them if one of the subs isn't powered down. I'm sure someone will fill us in.
Old December 5th, 2013, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_grimmace View Post
I get the same thing on my dual VTF-15 setup connected by a Y cable. The thumping stops as soon as I turn one of them off (power disconnected). I figured it was along the lines of feedback from the connection. The subwoofer on another receiver output does not do it. Mine sounds like wub wub wub getting softer for about 8 of them if one of the subs isn't powered down. I'm sure someone will fill us in.
Sounds like exactly what I am hearing.
Old December 8th, 2013, 7:25 AM

Well, the issue may have been resolved for me. One of the HO's seems to be dead now (not the one thumping).

I pulled it from the system and added an MBM in place of the second sub and there is no thumping.

If I can get an answer to the thumping I can decide whether to have this HO repaired by HSU or not. If it's going to thump regardless, I don't see the point in getting it fixed.
Old December 8th, 2013, 8:14 AM

OU812 is on a distinguished road
Perhaps the "thumping" noise you've been hearing was a symptom of the amp plate on its way out. Removing the amp plate is really easy. I would ship it to Hsu and get it fixed, or get quote for the VTF3-MK4 amp plate.
Old December 8th, 2013, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
Perhaps the "thumping" noise you've been hearing was a symptom of the amp plate on its way out. Removing the amp plate is really easy. I would ship it to Hsu and get it fixed, or get quote for the VTF3-MK4 amp plate.
The sub that failed was not the one thumping sadly.

I am leaning toward getting it fixed.....The more bass the better. :-) I just want to make sure that if I get it fixed that the setup will work. Help me Dr. Hsu....you're my only hope!!!

Bob
Old December 8th, 2013, 11:18 AM

ATL is on a distinguished road
Have you tried calling or emailing tech support?
...here:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/contact.html
Old December 8th, 2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL View Post
Have you tried calling or emailing tech support?
...here:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/contact.html
Not yet. If I need it replaced I will. I was more concerned with whether the thumping is going to return or not.

Bob