HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 29th, 2014, 8:03 AM

BoltFan is on a distinguished road
VTF-2 or VTF-3?

Hi,

I'm a previous owner of an original VTF-2 (technically, I guess that would be "Mk 1", although it was just called "VTF-2")...and need a new sub.

I emailed Hsu support, and they were very helpful with narrowing down my options to either a new VTF-2 or a VTF-3. They are leaning VTF-3.

But, of course, I can't decide.

Here's my situation:

* The room is 16' wide, 23' deep. One side wall (16') opens up at 4' 9" into the dining room.

* My other speakers are B&W CM1's (front), and Athena Point 5 Mk 2 for center and rears.

* Usage will be approximately 50% TV, 30% Movies (Blu-Ray), and 20% Music (SACD, DVD-A, Blu-Ray Audio, and
lossless FLAC files).

* Size and cost are important (girlfriend factor).

So, while the VTF-3 looks awesome, it's also physically larger. My old VTF-2 was in my old house, the new one is going into the GF's house. She currently has a very small Polk 10" sealed sub...so either of these are going to be "huge" by comparison. I think I may be able to sell her on the rosenut version of the VTF-3, despite the extra cost, because the B&W's are also rosenut. (I *really* wish the VTF-2 was available in rosenut...that would make my decision easier...)

Anyway, for the size of the room and given that it's not going to be a dedicated home theater...much more "casual" listening/movie watching, would I be fine with the VTF-2 or should I suck it up and go for the 3?

Thanks for your opinions...
Old July 30th, 2014, 7:28 AM

Anyone? Any opinions at all? Over 200 views...
Old July 30th, 2014, 8:16 PM

andyadler is on a distinguished road
I recently went through a similar comparison, and in view of the July 4/Summer Sale, decided on the VTF-3. Now in my case the sub was going in back of a large couch, so appearance was not critical, and the satin black was just fine. I have a large main viewing/listening room (163-year-old New Orleans home with 14-foot ceilings), so the larger sub seemed to make more sense. It sounds extraordinary, and the incremental difference in price was largely insignificant compared to the gains, especially spread out over the lifetime of the sub.

Of course the rosenut finish will be markedly more expensive. Still, perhaps better that than wondering if you should have opted for the larger sub. I don't think anyone regrets having more headroom.

Best...A.
Old July 30th, 2014, 9:55 PM

SME is on a distinguished road
I held off on answering because I doubted my opinion would be useful. My wife loves bass, and some how tolerates my VTF-3, VTF-15H and 2 MBMs. Naturally, I'd say go with the VTF-3 or even a VTF-15H.
Old July 31st, 2014, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadler View Post
I recently went through a similar comparison, and in view of the July 4/Summer Sale, decided on the VTF-3. Now in my case the sub was going in back of a large couch, so appearance was not critical, and the satin black was just fine. I have a large main viewing/listening room (163-year-old New Orleans home with 14-foot ceilings), so the larger sub seemed to make more sense. It sounds extraordinary, and the incremental difference in price was largely insignificant compared to the gains, especially spread out over the lifetime of the sub.

Of course the rosenut finish will be markedly more expensive. Still, perhaps better that than wondering if you should have opted for the larger sub. I don't think anyone regrets having more headroom.

Best...A.
Thanks...

*I* would definitely like a bigger better sub, but not sure the GF would agree.
Old July 31st, 2014, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SME View Post
My wife loves bass, and some how tolerates my VTF-3, VTF-15H and 2 MBMs.
You are quite lucky.
Old August 11th, 2014, 6:28 AM

Hans Gruber is on a distinguished road
The VFT-3 MK2 is the correct choice. It's really a no brainer in my opinion.