HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Setup and Placement Recommendations
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 17th, 2017, 5:30 PM

Kev3666 is on a distinguished road
Stf 2 question

Good evening all!!

I have a Hsu stf-2 subwoofer that I thoroughly enjoy. The receiver is a denon Avr 2310ci and I used the audessy feature to calibrate the 7.1 surround sound. I was wondering if I should use the receivers sub crossover or the subs built in crossover? Regardless of what I use, does 80hz sound like a good setting?

Also, I have noticed over the years on some movies, you can hear the sub bottoming out. Namely during the opening scene of batman the dark knight during the high rise scene. Would that noise be caused by the wrong crossover setting or is the gain set too high?

Sorry for the lengthy questions,
Kevin
Old January 18th, 2017, 4:18 PM
Administrator

Kevin_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Hey Kevin,

You should use the receivers crossover. That way you can place a high pass filter on your speakers and allow for better integration as well as more clean headroom/wider dynamic range from both your amp and speakers. So I would set the crossover switch on the STF-2 to out. In some instances, you may want to run the crossover on the sub along with the receiver, but for the most part, the receivers crossover should do just fine. In terms of setting, 80 Hz is the typical setting however, it depends on what speakers you're using. If you're using a smaller satellite with 2-4" driver or something like that, you may want to consider a higher crossover setting. Generally, when a sub bottoms out, it's due to the gain set to high, not so much the crossover. However, sometimes if you set the crossover low, say 40 Hz, and you feel that you need more mid-bass punch and turn up the sub to get that, it could cause the sub to bottom out earlier than it should if you had set the crossover higher to bring in more of the mid-bass instead of turning the sub up.
Old January 19th, 2017, 6:54 PM

Thanks for the response. Here's the size of the speakers and the crossover settings. Let me know if it looks good.

Front surround 6.5in set at 80Hz
Center dual 5.25in set at 60Hz
Rear surround 6.5in set at 40Hz
Rear ceiling surround 6.5in set a 60Hz
Stf-2 LPF for LFE set at 80Hz

Thanks for all your help,
Kevin
Old January 20th, 2017, 4:24 PM
Administrator

Kevin_Hsu is on a distinguished road
I would just go 80 Hz all around for the speakers. For the LFE crossover, have that set to 120 Hz.
Old January 24th, 2017, 7:49 PM

Awesome. Thanks for the info!!