HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Setup and Placement Recommendations
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 28th, 2004, 4:51 PM

wid is on a distinguished road
Question Outlaw ICBM

I order an Outlaw ICBM and was wondering which low pass filter to use.It has two settings 12db/octive and 36db/octive.I have a VTF-2 which one is best to use with this sub.
Old April 30th, 2004, 2:41 PM
Audiophile

Sasha_G will become famous soon enoughSasha_G will become famous soon enough
You should talk to Outlaw for advice. It is their product, so they are offering support for it. Sorry, but we can't afford to support every product that Dr. Hsu designs for other companies.
Old April 30th, 2004, 7:10 PM

Unhappy

I thought it was a fair question to ask on this board seeing it was also about the VTF-2.Anyway your tech support was kind enough to answer my question even though I did mention another product.It is 36db/octive.
Old April 30th, 2004, 7:11 PM
Super Moderator

cschang will become famous soon enoughcschang will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to cschang Send a message via Yahoo to cschang
the Outlaw ICBM was designed by Dr. Hsu?
Old April 30th, 2004, 7:14 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang
the Outlaw ICBM was designed by Dr. Hsu?
I didnt know that till now either.Thanks for the info.
Old April 30th, 2004, 7:26 PM

Sasha,It seems on other post on the board you have no reservations about answering other peoples questions about what crossovers to use on the VT-12 that I also bought from HSU.Seems fair those questions about those other products should then be directed to those who made the recievers.
Old April 30th, 2004, 8:17 PM

Michael Bain is on a distinguished road
Wid, I agree with you here. Maybe Sasha was just having a long day But your question is fair game at this forum, in my opinion, so feel welcome to ask away over here. We'll try our best to answer your questions, and if someone doesn't know the answer, they will be able to direct you to someone who does. Peace out.
Old May 1st, 2004, 4:36 AM

jigesh
Quote:
Maybe Sasha was just having a long day.
Probably so - because in my view, his statement seemed a bit unfortunate. However, this may also be the fault of this electronic medium where you can't judge the tone. I also thought initially that he meant ICBM was designed by Dr. Hsu. Most probably he simply missed punctuation marks and/or few words and probably his statement should read like this: "Sorry, but we can't afford to support every product that Dr. Hsu designs in order for them to work with the products of other companies."

Just my guess until Sasha chimes in.
Old May 1st, 2004, 7:56 AM

jigesh
Quote:
It has two settings 12db/octive and 36db/octive.
The ICBM manual, page 15, says: "If you have a THX-certified subwoofer, use the "special" setting. If you use a subwoofer that is not THX-certified, try flipping the switch both ways to see what sounds best."

"Special" setting is 36dB/octave and the "normal" one is 12dB/octave. I would guess "normal" would be suitable with VTF-2 as I somehow don't think (not sure, just a guess) Hsu went for a steeper filter slope, especially with VTF-2.
Old May 1st, 2004, 9:40 AM

The VTF-2 has a crossover slope of 24db/octive which is right in the middle of what the ICBM offers.Actually HSU tech support recommended 36db/octive setting for the VTF-2.If it were 12 or 36 or said TXH certified then I would not have asked the question.

Last edited by wid : May 1st, 2004 at 9:44 AM. Reason: I want to change someting
Old May 1st, 2004, 1:08 PM

jigesh
Quote:
VTF-2 has a crossover slope of 24db/octive which is right in the middle of what the ICBM offers.
Well, in that case, may be you just have to flip over switch and see what sounds best.