HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Setup and Placement Recommendations
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 25th, 2019, 6:50 PM

Dukester is on a distinguished road
Sub in a cubby??

Howdy, folks

Please take a look at my theater layout below and let me know what you think about sub placement in my room. I"ll be using (4) subs total, two of which are RBH T2 bottom sections and two of which are VTF3-MkII's.

I feel sure the four corners would be the best placement but the problem is that one corner is very narrow because of the entrance door. If I stick one there it will only be about half in the corner and half out in the doorway.

I was thinking about building a cubby in the wall at the corner (see green dashed line) and stick the sub in there. I could also stick the one in the adjacent corner into a cubby if needed so they will match. I would prefer not to since the walls are built but I can. Also note that the one in the adjacent corner will be on the 15" high riser. The riser will be vented and is stuffed with insulation in order to be an absorber (sort of bass trap).

The walls are built on clips, channels, one layer of 5/8" OSB, Green Glue and final layer of 5/8" sheetrock. So, thoughts??? Suggestions???

Thanks for looking!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf sub placement.pdf (101.6 KB, 18 views)
Old September 27th, 2019, 3:32 PM
Administrator

Kevin_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Hi there,

Generally I would recommend going with the 4 corners in that room. One thing you can try to do to see if you can avoid having to make a cubby on the right side is try moving that sub further front towards that column. You could also try to co-locate that sub with the other sub in the back left corner. Put it next to that sub or you can try stacking it.
Old September 27th, 2019, 3:37 PM

Thanks for the reply, Kevin. Are you saying it would be better to move the sub forward or stack them or is it just a matter of saving work to cut the hole in? Would the VTF perform as well sitting in the cubby as it would outside in a regular corner?
Thanks again
Old September 27th, 2019, 3:50 PM

Pic of it in the corner.
Attached Images

Old September 27th, 2019, 3:57 PM
Administrator

More of a matter of saving the work to cut a hole in the wall. My thinking is that the response really may not differ too much by moving the sub towards the front a bit versus placing it in the back right corner. Stacking or placing them next to each other is also a decent alternative to placing each in the back right or left corner. Your room is fairly symmetrical so it may be similar in response as well. The VTF-3 Mk2 should be perfectly fine in the cubby. I recommend keeping a 3-4 inches of space in the back of the sub in order to allow for the air to move through from the ports. You'll probably need that anyway because of the cables.
Old September 27th, 2019, 4:04 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm not as worried about the extra work as I am the performance of the subs and also making more room in the space itself. Leaving them in the corner as is just intrudes into the room too much. Stacking them in the left corner is certainly an option if the performance doesn't suffer.
I was going to leave room around it to allow the sound room to come out and also place the rear facing outwards for adjustments. I can make a cover out of speaker cloth to hide it.
Old September 30th, 2019, 3:57 PM
Administrator

It's still worthwhile to at least temporarily try those other positions and also where it is currently shown in the photos above. If there is no real major difference, then you can go those routes instead, but if in the back corner it sounds better, then go ahead and build the cubby.