HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 21st, 2004, 5:26 AM

jbhungvt is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up VTF-3 MKII Blond Maple Available

HSU is now offering the VTF-3 MKII Blond Maple for $699. What a deal...too bad I just recently got the Rosewood model.
It's good for those looking for this finish to suit their decor and to please the wifehttp://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/ima...ons/icon14.gif
Old December 21st, 2004, 7:47 AM

MacG is on a distinguished road
I just got my matte black VTF3 MKII last Friday. I ordered it with an Ascend speaker package. Anyone know if it's possible for me to exchange the matte black for a rosewood model? I still haven't opened the box yet on the VTF3 MKII. I emailed HSU last Saturday....still waiting for a response.
Old December 21st, 2004, 8:08 AM
Super Moderator

cschang will become famous soon enoughcschang will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to cschang Send a message via Yahoo to cschang
Call them....easier to find out that way.

Right now they are probably very busy getting ready for CES.
Old December 21st, 2004, 9:32 AM

octalon7 is on a distinguished road
Looks really nice. Don't need a VTF-3 quite yet, but in the future it's nice to see they might have a few options.
Old December 21st, 2004, 12:07 PM

bjurw is on a distinguished road
They sure are pretty. May have to get one in the future. For now, my trusty VTF3 in black is just fine!
Old December 22nd, 2004, 1:13 PM

kingtut is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhungvt
HSU is now offering the VTF-3 MKII Blond Maple for $699. What a deal...too bad I just recently got the Rosewood model.
It's good for those looking for this finish to suit their decor and to please the wifehttp://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/ima...ons/icon14.gif
Jbhungvt, I saw a post on AV123 forum that a similar name sold the Rocket sub. I am not sure if you're the same person. If you're the same person, please give us your opinion between the two subs.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 11:10 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtut
Jbhungvt, I saw a post on AV123 forum that a similar name sold the Rocket sub. I am not sure if you're the same person. If you're the same person, please give us your opinion between the two subs.
Kingtut,

Yup, that's me. I've heard so many good things about the Rocket sub UFW-10...so I went out and got it..boy I was disappointed. I say this because my dad has an STF-3 and I know what HSU sub is all about. UFW-10, though it sounds good quick and tight...but it doesn't have the volume I was looking for. I have a family room 20x22 and 18 feet tall w/ 2 openings to the rest of the house.

I recently bought a used VTF-3 MK2 Rosewood on eBay...boy...this sub is what I was hoping to expect all along...I now know what people are talking about, quick, tight, accurate bass and can play real loud and low. For the first time...my wife is enjoying and noticing what I bought. Before I bought the Ventriloquist system...she didn't care or noticed that much. Bought the UFW-10...at first she said it looks nice but after hearing it she said it didn't do any better job than our old sorry EOS 10-inch sub, so that's why I sold it. She even said, can you turn up the UFW-10 more? I said..it's up almost all the way. At one point my wife said...don't buy any more sub...our room is too big to get good sound, she also said i would have to spend tons of money to get good bass in the family room....I now proved her wrong.

The UFW-10 finish is very similar to the VTF-3Rosewood...I think it came from the same cabinet maker. Looks real nice. That's about it. I was considering getting the UFW-12 later on for my dedicated home theater in my basement...but after hearing the UFW-10...I have 2nd thoughts. I think AV123 is a fine company...just that I don't like all the hipe and cheerleaders they have over there. I rather let the product speak for itself like HSUhttp://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/ima...ons/icon14.gif. I might end up getting their speakers (av123) though...not sure yet.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 12:48 PM

kingtut is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your impression JB. I was considering the rocket sub (due to the small size, finish & WAF) before purchasing the HSU VTF3 MK2. Base on your impression, I'm glad I chose the VTF3 now because of my large size room --although much lower in height than yours. My family room size is 12' x 13' x 9', which opens up to the kitchen (w/no wall) 12' x 20' x 9'. The total size is 24' x 33' x 9'. I have a Hsu VTF-3 MK 2 in a corner next to my couch, and the volume dial on the Hsu is at 1/4 of the full volume. The bass produced by the VTF3 is enough to shake my walls. On top of that, the VTF3 blends in well for both music and HT.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 5:34 PM

craigsub is on a distinguished road
Good subwoofers ...

JBhungvt... Yep, there is no way a single UFW-10 will come close to filling your 8000^3 foot room ... that is HUGE ....

For a 4400 ^ 3 foot room, I am running four of them ... which means an $1800 sealed subwoofer system with 4 x ten inch subwoofers...

That Maple VTF-3 Mark II is a GREAT looking unit ... and it will be a pretty close match for the UFW-12 ... the UFW-12's driver has a longer excursion, but the VTF-3 Mark II uses a ported design ... and both are BARGAINS.

For sheer output, musicality, and appearance ... At $699, that blonde maple VTF-3.2 is a KILLER deal ... It almost looks like Dr. Hsu has decided to get some market share back from another subwoofer company...
Old December 23rd, 2004, 6:11 PM

wid is on a distinguished road
Hey Craig,

Nice to hear from ya.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 6:49 PM

Thankd, WID ...

Good to see your are still here. The warped side of me is thinking how I can talk my bride into two more subwoofers for our new basement theater ... Twin VTF-3.2's in BEM ... nice !
Old December 23rd, 2004, 7:15 PM

wid is on a distinguished road
Craig,

That might be a tough one.I'm sure you could pull it off,somehow.
Old December 24th, 2004, 4:51 AM

Heh heh ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wid
Craig,

That might be a tough one.I'm sure you could pull it off,somehow.
The poor lady DOES put up with a lot from me ... this may require some negotiation skills...
Old December 24th, 2004, 6:59 AM

Ddavidson will become famous soon enoughDdavidson will become famous soon enough
Quote:
That Maple VTF-3 Mark II is a GREAT looking unit ... and it will be a pretty close match for the UFW-12 ... the UFW-12's driver has a longer excursion, but the VTF-3 Mark II uses a ported design ... and both are BARGAINS.
In life or death ..... forever the peddling salesman.

Several things one can never change and that is ..... life, death, taxes and the scurge of the modern world .... *advertising spam*.

Ddavidson
Old December 24th, 2004, 8:00 AM

Retread will become famous soon enoughRetread will become famous soon enough
Speaking of "poor ladies," . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub
The poor lady DOES put up with a lot from me ... this may require some negotiation skills...
After a year, I still have 12GA wires hanging from the ceiling beams. To make things worse, there is a power cable to the ceiling-mounted projector, a power cable to the screen, and two component video cables to the projector (one for the DVD and one for the computer). She's beginning to agitate to have a professional come in and put the wires above the ceilings, since she doesn't trust me not to fall through from the attic (I don't understand this attitude on her part; I've only fallen through once). The only thing that's saved my hide this year is that she really, really likes how Chris Isaak, Bob Seger, et. al., sound over the system.
Old December 24th, 2004, 8:06 AM

No Davidson...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddavidson
In life or death ..... forever the peddling salesman.

Several things one can never change and that is ..... life, death, taxes and the scurge of the modern world .... *advertising spam*.

Ddavidson
It is called "science" ... try it sometime.
Old December 24th, 2004, 8:12 AM

Deductibles and labor time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retread
After a year, I still have 12GA wires hanging from the ceiling beams. To make things worse, there is a power cable to the ceiling-mounted projector, a power cable to the screen, and two component video cables to the projector (one for the DVD and one for the computer). She's beginning to agitate to have a professional come in and put the wires above the ceilings, since she doesn't trust me not to fall through from the attic (I don't understand this attitude on her part; I've only fallen through once). The only thing that's saved my hide this year is that she really, really likes how Chris Isaak, Bob Seger, et. al., sound over the system.
I have learned through experience that the deductible on my hospitalization policy and the amount of labor time it takes me to personally do potentially harmful projects which require me to climb a ladder MORE than justifies the expense of hiring a professional to do it.

Listen to your wife...
Old December 24th, 2004, 9:45 AM

Retread will become famous soon enoughRetread will become famous soon enough
Too True!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub
I have learned through experience that the deductible on my hospitalization policy and the amount of labor time it takes me to personally do potentially harmful projects which require me to climb a ladder MORE than justifies the expense of hiring a professional to do it.

Listen to your wife...
Once upon a time, I was carrying a solid-cherry double headboard in my two arms and stepping from joist to joist in the attic. Missed a joist and went through up to mid-thigh, being halted in my downward motion by straddling a joist. Wife came running at the noise, saw my leg sticking through the ceiling, heard my moan, and yelled, "Are you OK?!!!?" My feeble "Yes" in response, she yelled, "Why?!!!?" I think that may have been a vote of no confidence.

When the subject of my wires first came up, I responded that her father was a master plumber and she grew up with leaky plumbing; I'm an electrical engineer, so why would she expect my wires to be dressed? That wore thin, so my response was that I was still tweaking the configuration -- which is always true for folks like us. Not going to be able to put it off much longer, though.
Old December 24th, 2004, 10:00 AM

Ddavidson will become famous soon enoughDdavidson will become famous soon enough
Quote:
It is called "science" ... try it sometime.
Nothing scientific about the financial gain in advertising.

Ddavidson
Old December 24th, 2004, 10:14 AM

You really ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddavidson
Nothing scientific about the financial gain in advertising.

Ddavidson
Davidson ... Merry Christmas...

Last edited by craigsub : December 24th, 2004 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Because Peter Marcks deserves the respect...
Old December 24th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Allright gentlemen, let's get this subject back on track.

This is the holiday season, and we should just enjoy and be thankful for all the good things that we have.

Cheers
Old December 24th, 2004, 7:42 PM

Thumbs up

Happy Holidays to all!

I'll be sure to enjoy my new used HSU VTF-3MKII Rosewoodhttp://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/ima...ons/icon14.gif

until then.