HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 9th, 2005, 6:35 PM

Matt_Smi is on a distinguished road
Talking Who is still impressed by their HSU sub even after owning it for a while?

I must say even after owning my STF-2 for a bit over a year it still continues to impress me and make me say wow. Not only does it still surprise me with its depth and clean volume but also sometimes I am equally impressed by just how quick, tight, transparent and generally good it sounds. The $350 I paid for defiantly makes it the best value out of my HT gear. I can say that I really donít have any desire to upgrade it any time soon either. Although the new HO models coming out look really tempting...
Old June 9th, 2005, 7:06 PM

tafguy will become famous soon enough
Me too!

I have eye on the VTF-HO, the performance of equal of a pair of TN ones with that powerful amplifier and sidefiring to go with my living room dimension of 13'x16'x14' (W.L.H).
I don't want get rid the VTF-2 MK2 which I love a lot. But I could sell my other B&W 300 to make the VTF-HO price drop a little bit to have the price more affordable but at which price?. But again, that turbocharger technology is giving me hard time to decide? HSU should come up with an upgrade chart for owners of current models so they can better choose the best upgrade path. We do need a poll to see how many people want the new product release in which month? eg. June, July, August. Just an idea!
Old June 9th, 2005, 8:48 PM

tdekany will become famous soon enoughtdekany will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Smi
I must say even after owning my STF-2 for a bit over a year it still continues to impress me and make me say wow. Not only does it still surprise me with its depth and clean volume but also sometimes I am equally impressed by just how quick, tight, transparent and generally good it sounds. The $350 I paid for defiantly makes it the best value out of my HT gear. I can say that I really donít have any desire to upgrade it any time soon either. Although the new HO models coming out look really tempting...
I am still very impressed with my STF2 (year old) - AND my STF3 (in Max Ext Mode).

Awesome products!!!
Old June 9th, 2005, 9:36 PM

Dudley will become famous soon enoughDudley will become famous soon enough
My STF2 is over a year old as well and I continue to be impressed.
Old June 9th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

cschang will become famous soon enoughcschang will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to cschang Send a message via Yahoo to cschang
I have had my VTF-3 now for over two years...and I am still VERY happy with it.

Bought my Parents a used STF-2 about a year ago. Was there today, still impresses in a large room

I am eyeing an HO, and if it makes sense, I will get one, and give my Parents the VTF-3.
Old June 10th, 2005, 3:49 AM

wid is on a distinguished road
I still am impressed by all the Hsu products I have bought in the past few years.

VTF 2
VT 12
STF 3
Old June 11th, 2005, 1:01 AM

Rob Babcock is on a distinguished road
I'm still extremely pleased with my pair of TN-1220's. They're just about the only thing in my system that I have no urge to upgrade.
Old June 11th, 2005, 4:35 PM

DNelms is on a distinguished road
If it was not for the VTF-3r I bought last year, I would still by impressed with my HRSW10v.
Old June 11th, 2005, 7:04 PM

finchna is on a distinguished road
I've had my VTF-3 Mk2 going on a year and it's still great! My music (classical band and orchestra, jazz, rock/pop, etc.) is refreshed by it. Also wonderful to hear what I didn't hear on movies I'm replaying for the first time in a while--like discovering new sound tracks!
Old June 13th, 2005, 3:53 PM

Retread will become famous soon enoughRetread will become famous soon enough
I've had my VTF-3R (and Ventriloquist) a year and a half and am still impressed. My wife and I watch lots of movies and listen to a mix of classical and country music.

My wife was highly sceptical when I originally set out to build my system. Now if she had to choose between me and the system, I'd probably have to go.

I've been so impressed with the VTF-3R that I bought one as a Christmas present for my golden-ears audiophile son who recommended Hsu when I first started talking about home theater.
Old June 14th, 2005, 2:30 AM

martin is on a distinguished road
I'm very happy with my TN-1220, and in my large listening room, it's the only part of my system that actually is about the right match to the room size. I might want to get a bass equalization doohickey (it's stuck in the corner behind some furniture and has a boost around 70-80 Hz) but that's it.
Old June 14th, 2005, 6:44 AM

bjurw is on a distinguished road
I am extremely pleased with my VTF-3 sub and Ventriloquist speakers. I think many people who hear my system are blown away at the sheer depth of that sub. It rattles you to the core. Hsu definitely has a huge fan here!
Old June 14th, 2005, 2:59 PM

95 Silver TA is on a distinguished road
I have owned once since Feb and I am willing to bet I have used it more than most poeple use thier HT in a full year....Each time I put that thing on, it impresses me....It does not get old, well worth the money and far more in my opinion.

Thx,
Claude
Old June 15th, 2005, 4:47 AM

chucklee is on a distinguished road
Hsu TN1220 for 5 years; I added a VTF3 about a month ago. Ironically, the amp for my 1220 went out a couple of weeks ago, and I ran without it for several days.

The 1220 is corner-placed, and goes deeper than the VTF3 anyway; I did not realize how much I depended on it for the sonic presentation of the DVD material I enjoy (whether film, tv series, or music). It adds a depth (no pun intended) to the soundstage and a realism to whatever I am watching that I was glad to welcome back after my amplifier was working again.

So yes, I'm impressed; I'm not certain how much the VTF3 would impress me if it were the anchor of the system, but I can say that, if the 1220 ever has to be replaced, I hope that Hsu has them available again... otherwise, I might have to investigate that other 3-letter company...
Old June 15th, 2005, 6:42 AM

Michael Bain is on a distinguished road
The TN1220HO does not really go "deeper" than the VTF-3, it just plays louder at 20Hz and below because of a 4" port vs the 3" port on the VTF-3. Add a turbocharger to the VTF-3, and I would bet that it will play at least as loud and clean as the TN1220HO.

And remember VTF-3HO? Should be as good as dual TN1220HO's down low when used with the turbo. Word also has it that the TN will make a comeback.
Old June 15th, 2005, 1:49 PM

Lwang will become famous soon enoughLwang will become famous soon enough
i thought the TN1220 is tuned more closer to 16hz than VTF-3's 18hz?
Old June 15th, 2005, 3:20 PM

Michael Bain is on a distinguished road
I was under the impression the TN was tuned in the 17Hz range.
Old June 19th, 2005, 7:47 PM

Ddavidson will become famous soon enoughDdavidson will become famous soon enough
The turbocharger on the VTF-3 Mk2 should (by Dr Hsu's account) present an almost identical frequency response to a single Tn1220Ho. Looking at my comparison measurements, my VTF-3 Mk2 actually has a higher output above about 24 Hz than my Tn1220Ho, so it sure will be interesting to do some comparison measurements between my TN and my VTF below 24 Hz (with the turbocharger attached). Not that anything really is wrong with the standard VTF config but if the VTF-3 Mk2 can equal the bottom end response of the TN (with the plug in addition of the turbocharger) then this is going to be a no brainer upgrade for any VTF-3 Mk2 owner.

Ddavidson