HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.69 average. Display Modes
Old December 6th, 2004, 6:06 PM

ZX6Rfan is on a distinguished road
Where to buy?

Hi there, I saw some VT-12's in a Comp USA on display and was bummed out to hear they no longer carry them.

Is there any other retailer that carries these speakers? After hearing them I went online to research and I see nothing but awesome reviews. Now I want a set.

They sounded great, I wanted to buy em but the floor model was the only set left and who knows what torture they have bbeen through.

I know theres a way to buy them direct, but I have never been a fan of ordering and having to wait for UPS ground.

Thanks

Shawn
Old December 6th, 2004, 6:39 PM

wid is on a distinguished road
This is the only place I know of to get the VT-12 system.You shouldn't worry about buying direct from Hsu,this is one heck of a good company to do buisness with.
Old December 6th, 2004, 7:08 PM

Retread will become famous soon enoughRetread will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX6Rfan
I know theres a way to buy them direct, but I have never been a fan of ordering and having to wait for UPS ground. Thanks. Shawn
On 20 November 2003, I ordered both a VTF-3R and a VT-12. They were in and working at my location in southern Arizona on 26 November.
Old December 7th, 2004, 6:07 AM

JamesT is on a distinguished road
I ordered the VT-12 and STF-3 and I had them sitting at my doorstep in 6 days. I feel sorry for the delivery man that had to tote that sub up to my porch.
Old December 7th, 2004, 6:38 AM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Hello all,

Our factory direct products are backed by a 30 day money-back guarantee. We also have relatively low shipping rates, so risk is reduced.

Peter Marcks
Hsu Research
Old December 7th, 2004, 8:56 PM

jbhungvt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Marcks
Hello all,

Our factory direct products are backed by a 30 day money-back guarantee. We also have relatively low shipping rates, so risk is reduced.

Peter Marcks
Hsu Research
True, but this doesn't include the sale you have for the VTF-MKII Rosewood now. that sucks.
Old December 7th, 2004, 9:04 PM

octalon7 is on a distinguished road
Dude, quit complaining on all the threads, don't buy the deal, pay regular price if you are concerned. Nobody is forcing you to take the deal, there IS a reason it's onsale.
Old December 8th, 2004, 8:52 AM

Ddavidson will become famous soon enoughDdavidson will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Peter Marcks
Hsu Research
IMHO the only place to listen and compare any audio equipment (especially speakers and subwoofers) is in your room using your sound system. Comparing by accoustical memory from one dealers to the next or at freinds makes the choice a guessing game. I have never understood why people fall for the same old dealer traps and wonder why it doesn't sound the same as the demo they heard. Its all about the room differences, these issues can be avoided if you review and compare gear in the same room. Thats the great thing about the 30 day return period such as that offered by Hsu Research. It certainly made my decision "no gamble". It's also so much easier to be 100% certain in the comfort of your home with no pressure salesman breathing down you neck.

You got to love saving money by buying direct and not paying excessive profit to a dealer. Not to mention you get less sales blurb in your ear and decent amount of quality time to be fully happy with your final decision.

Ddavidson
Old December 8th, 2004, 9:24 AM

Room Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddavidson
IMHO the only place to listen and compare any audio equipment (especially speakers and subwoofers) is in your room using your sound system. Comparing by accoustical memory from one dealers to the next or at freinds makes the choice a guessing game. I have never understood why people fall for the same old dealer traps and wonder why it doesn't sound the same as the demo they heard. Its all about the room differences, these issues can be avoided if you review and compare gear in the same room. Thats the great thing about the 30 day return period such as that offered by Hsu Research. It certainly made my decision "no gamble". It's also so much easier to be 100% certain in the comfort of your home with no pressure salesman breathing down you neck.

You got to love saving money by buying direct and not paying excessive profit to a dealer. Not to mention you get less sales blurb in your ear and decent amount of quality time to be fully happy with your final decision.

Ddavidson
I agree with you PROVIDED part of the evaluation includes room equalization. When I first installed my VTF-3R, I had a 30 dB variation across the range 20-100 Hz. Really serious thump-puppy syndrome. Sounded terrible. Since I put a parametric equalizer in the path and smoothed everything out, it sounds great. I suspect it would have sounded a lot better in a showroom than it initially did in my room.

So my message is not to judge the Hsu subs on the basis of just plopping them in the home listening room.
Old December 8th, 2004, 9:42 AM

Ddavidson will become famous soon enoughDdavidson will become famous soon enough
Quote:
When I first installed my VTF-3R, I had a 30 dB variation across the range 20-100 Hz. Really serious thump-puppy syndrome.
Obviously anyone who has ever GP measured a Hsu subwoofer (outside) can tell that its your room that is the problem, its certainly not the subwoofer.

That's mostly my point, and one of the main reasons why people make incorrect decisions either way. Of course I am mostly talking about playing in an even field when making comparision decisions.

OT:
You have to remember that a parametric Eq is limited in what it can do and the corrections can not make up for suckouts and can not flatten "every seating position". It's great for the money seat as that's where you put the mic to measure and correct the response. Also an eq can not change how the room decays off its low bass.

Ddavidson
Old December 8th, 2004, 10:12 AM

Money Seat(s)

Quote:
You have to remember that a parametric Eq is limited in what it can do and the corrections can not make up for suckouts and can not flatten "every seating position". It's great for the money seat as that's where you put the mic to measure and correct the response. Also an eq can not change how the room decays off its low bass. Ddavidson
All true. However, in my case I was able to make it "money seats" and get good response across a significant viewing/listening area within the limited number of locations that were spouse-acceptable placements.

In my first attempt to equalize, I tried to raise the level of some holes and ended up with horrible transient response. I ended up knocking the peaks down to level with the holes and raised the gain of the sub to match the mids. That gave me a very flat frequency response across the bass range with very good transient response.

If I were starting over, I'd probably buy a receiver that had built-in equalization, not only for the sub, but also for the mids. I have some raggedness in the 150-300 Hz range.
Old December 8th, 2004, 10:44 AM

You have done well.
I know acousticians who guarentee they will design and build you a HT room and get +/- 3dB (from 20Hz - 20kHz) in at least 8 to 10 seats in your theater.

They do it with room treatments, dollars and plain good math.

Ddavidson
Old December 8th, 2004, 11:49 AM

Yes. Well, . . .

Quote:
You have done well.
I know acousticians who guarentee they will design and build you a HT room and get +/- 3dB (from 20Hz - 20kHz) in at least 8 to 10 seats in your theater. They do it with room treatments, dollars and plain good math. Ddavidson
I could do that. It's just engineering. The challenge is to get decent sound over a reasonable area within spousal parameters.
Old December 8th, 2004, 6:44 PM

judgeblast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by octalon7
Dude, quit complaining on all the threads, don't buy the deal, pay regular price if you are concerned. Nobody is forcing you to take the deal, there IS a reason it's onsale.
I bought the SALE as it was listed before they added the TOTAL bs disclaimer!
I bought under this presumption:

Peter Marcks Hello all,

That being said, I don't have any real worries.
The only reason some people are upset is because SINCE the ad was put up - then the price was changed - then the disclaimmer was added - That's EXTREMELY unproffesional & backwards the original ad is legaly binding for my purchase (no it will never come to that) ; which I wouldn't expect from a company with one of the greatest reps in the biz.
R
Old December 8th, 2004, 7:11 PM

octalon7 is on a distinguished road
Why worry, if in your purchase documentation this new disclaimer does not appear, then it does not apply to you.

If at the time of pruchase it was advertised on the website without the new disclaimer, but then in your purchase documentation the disclaimer does appear, then you have a right to cancel the order...and you can do so, be upset, be whatever, but understand the price is severely dropped and is a closeout sale, you can't expect to get your cake and eat it too.

All companies make mistakes, and I have yet to hear of HSU turning away and not listening to a customers complaint. This message board is a forum for us to use as common consumers, it is not a direct contact for your problems to be addressed formally by the company. If you want answers, contact them direct.