HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 13th, 2004, 3:32 PM

Deep_DishMN is on a distinguished road
How to get that Magical Flat Response

Hey everyone,

I have an HRSW12Va woofer. I have used it in a few different positions around my room trying to find an optimal placement in order to:

1) Have the woofer work as little as possible and provide the most outpout
2) Try and get a flat frequency response

Now I know that probably the most important aspect to ANY system is the room acoustics but I, as I'm sure with many, need to work with what I have. The acoustics in my 'small' room SUCK. I'm just wondering if a bass equalizer is the best/most practical way of achieving a flat response for my woofer or if anyone has any tricks up their sleeve. Sound insulators? I'm using the 250 Watt amp to drive the woofer and have a preamp amp setup. The woofer is directly in front of me against the wall in the front of the room with the speakers. I sit probably 15 feet from the woofer up against the rear wall of the room. Thanks for your help!
Old December 13th, 2004, 6:30 PM

Rob Babcock is on a distinguished road
Definately go for an EQ. I use a Behringer DSP-1124P. The unit has can be configured as a multiband parametric EQ, a task to which it's perfectly suited. IMO parametric EQ is the only way to go, much better than graphic EQ. You can pick up an '1124P brand new for under $125, less used. It can be a bit of work to learn to setup, mostly due to a crappy manual. But there are some good online tutorials (just google). I recommend getting an analog Rat Shack SPL meter and a disc of test tones for setup.

Prepare to spend a day reading, setting & tweaking- but the results can be astonishing. It's amazing how much more powerful the bass sounds when it's reasonably flat. Although it's counterintuitive to some degree, trimming bass peaks will often make the bass seem lower & more powerful.
Old December 13th, 2004, 6:40 PM

Retread will become famous soon enoughRetread will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_DishMN
The acoustics in my 'small' room SUCK. I'm just wondering if a bass equalizer is the best/most practical way of achieving a flat response for my woofer or if anyone has any tricks up their sleeve.
Do a search on my handle to read my search for flattness, finally achieved after many hours and many dollars.