HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Setup and Placement Recommendations
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 10th, 2004, 4:25 PM

BenWatchnU is on a distinguished road
Two VTF-3 MK 2's

I just purchased two VTF-3 MK 2 subwoofers. I was surprised to read the recommendation that they be placed next to each other. My listening room is 20' wide by 25' deep by 8' high. I plan on first trying the front room corners with one sub in each corner. Then I will experiment with other positions. I am looking for feedback from other members, any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance..........Ben

P.S. The two VTF-3 MK 2's are replacing a Velodyne VA-1512 which I personally think is a piece of crap. I'm hoping for a noticeable improvement with the HSU's
Old December 10th, 2004, 4:40 PM
Super Moderator

cschang will become famous soon enoughcschang will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to cschang Send a message via Yahoo to cschang
Putting the subs in different corners may prove difficult to integrate due to soundwave cancellations. One VTF-3MK2 should be able to handle the room by itself.

Co-locating them will give you about 6dB extra output if you need it.
Old December 10th, 2004, 4:58 PM

wid is on a distinguished road
I agree one Vtf-MK3 would be plenty good for that size room.Heck one STF-3 could do a good job too if you don't listen to much organ music.
Old December 10th, 2004, 6:47 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the responses, but I was so depressed with the sound quality of my Velodyne I felt compelled to order two of the VTF-3 Mk 2's. Plus I liked the look of the rosewood enclosure..........Ben
Old December 10th, 2004, 6:53 PM
Super Moderator

cschang will become famous soon enoughcschang will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to cschang Send a message via Yahoo to cschang
well...you have 30 days to try them out and decide if you want to keep both.

Or be a real nice guy and give one away.....
Old December 11th, 2004, 2:53 AM

Nice Guy

I do consider myself a "real nice guy" but I don't think I'm ready to give one away!!.........LOL.........Ben
Old December 11th, 2004, 6:24 AM

wid is on a distinguished road
Well theres not gonna be a lack of bass at your house,hope you have some sturdy walls and nice neighbors........
Old December 11th, 2004, 7:25 AM

tgrisham is on a distinguished road
Harmon International White Papers at http://www.harman.com/wp/index.jsp?articleId=1003 have an interesting study of multiple subs. Their conclusion was to locate subs on opposite walls from each other. I haven't spent the money on a second VTF-3R yet since one seems fine, but if placed correctly could smooth out the frequency responses. It would take some work, though, and perhaps a parametric equalizer. Please let us know how it goes. Good Luck!
Old December 11th, 2004, 10:24 AM

Neighbors

Quote:
Originally Posted by wid
Well theres not gonna be a lack of bass at your house,hope you have some sturdy walls and nice neighbors........
I'm lucky enough to live out in the country on six secluded acres so loud bass will never be a problem. Unless you consider the damage it might do to my hearing.................Ben
Old December 11th, 2004, 10:28 AM

Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrisham
Harmon International White Papers at http://www.harman.com/wp/index.jsp?articleId=1003 have an interesting study of multiple subs. Their conclusion was to locate subs on opposite walls from each other. I haven't spent the money on a second VTF-3R yet since one seems fine, but if placed correctly could smooth out the frequency responses. It would take some work, though, and perhaps a parametric equalizer. Please let us know how it goes. Good Luck!
That was a very interesting article. I was surprised to read that their test room sounded well balanced with fifty subwoofers. I feel better knowing I only have two to mess with. Actually it did give me some good ideas to try. I can't wait for my subs to be delivered!!..........Ben
Old December 14th, 2004, 9:44 PM

Unhappy Disappointed

I called the HSU hotline today to get a tracking number on my subs that I ordered last Friday and much to my disappointment I found out they were back ordered........Ben
Old December 15th, 2004, 5:19 AM

Retread will become famous soon enoughRetread will become famous soon enough
Backordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWatchnU
I called the HSU hotline today to get a tracking number on my subs that I ordered last Friday and much to my disappointment I found out they were back ordered........Ben
Yes. I posted a few days ago that I ordered a second VTF-3 in rosewood and was told it might not arrive for Christmas. No problem for me, since I already have one installed and working.
Old December 15th, 2004, 3:55 PM

tdekany will become famous soon enoughtdekany will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWatchnU

I am very sorry to hear that. I know how "down" I would feel in your situation.

The rosewood IS worth the wait, but how about ordering what IS in stock if you really want to get them now
Old December 15th, 2004, 6:05 PM

Ordering What's In Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdekany
I am very sorry to hear that. I know how "down" I would feel in your situation.

The rosewood IS worth the wait, but how about ordering what IS in stock if you really want to get them now
I was told when ordering that the Rosewood was in stock. That they had very slight finish blemishes that could only be seen with a flashlight. I guess between the time when I talked on the phone and when I placed my on-line order that they must have sold out. Good news though. I received a tracking number for one of them tonight and it should be here on the 21st.......Ben
Old December 15th, 2004, 9:02 PM

wdhays is on a distinguished road
What do you mean, backordered?

I ordered mine online Friday, the 10th also. There was no indication throughout the ordering process, that they were on backorder. This is my first experience with HSU and I have to say that I am disappointed & frustrated. The website said I would receive a tracking # within 2 days. That didn't happen, so I just requested that by e-mail, after reading in the forums that they are on backorder. I thought these were factory direct. How does a factory run out of one of their main products? Is this a small company who is just starting out? For a company who has so many professional reviews on their products, I wouldn't have thought so. Anyway, I will try to remain patient. I was just expecting to have it by Friday since I'm so close to their facility. It seems like a good product & a great price though.
Old December 16th, 2004, 12:26 AM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Greetings wdhays,

Yes, we are a relatively small company, and at times the staffing can be limited. We also do not have a very large amount of storage space here in California to house a lot of extra units. Please give us a call tommorow at 1-800-554-0150, and hopefully we will be able to fix things up.

If you are close by our facility, you are always welcome to stop by too.

Thank you for your patience!
Old December 19th, 2004, 10:29 PM

wdhays is on a distinguished road
I spoke too soon.

I never got an e-mail response, however, I called on Thursday, and much to my surprise, they said my sub shipped on Wednesday. I got it on Friday after all. I was so excited that I almost didn't make it to my company Christmas party. I had to tear myself away from the sub to go.

I am very pleased with it. I have been dialing it in most of the weekend, making a few adjustments to my reciever settings, finding the right location to flatten the frequency response and of course, fine tuning the crossover point to match it with my speakers.

My work is done, now it's time to enjoy. This sub is pretty awesome. I have built several home theater subs in the past and I must confess that none of them had the power(spl), extension(hz) & control(quickness) that this sub has.

Thanks Dr. Hsu. You have another loyal customer.

Old December 20th, 2004, 9:11 AM

One More Day To Wait Hopefully

With my two VTF-3 MK 2's scheduled to arrive tomorrow I'm learning a lot. I'm certain I won't be needing two now. I have been experimenting with my Velodyne turning it from a foreward firing to bottom firing sub mounting it on four one inch wooden blocks. I also moved it from the front right corner of my home theater room to behind the listening couch. What a difference!! It's a good thing I have a dedicated two channel listening room with speakers that only reach into the mid 30's "Harmonic Precision Echelons". I now know what I'm going to do with my second VTF-3 MK 2. *Huge Grin*.................Ben

P.S. Does anyone know the magnet weight of the driver in the VTF-3 MK 2? I've been trying to find this information here with no luck. Thanks in advance if anyone can answer this question for me.......Ben

Last edited by BenWatchnU : December 20th, 2004 at 9:17 AM. Reason: A question
Old February 8th, 2005, 8:17 AM

DNelms is on a distinguished road
Wink Well ......

Now that you have had the subs for over a month, have you had a chance to destroy your room with an over abundance of SPL?