HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 25th, 2007, 12:43 PM

khouseal is on a distinguished road
New wood floors

Got a new VTF3 mk2 a couple of months ago. Last week went from carpet to Maple engineered floors glued to concrete slab. Don't want to spike the new wood, so sat each on 4" marble square samples with felt glued to the bottom of the marble to protect the wood. Things seem mushy now. (Did the same with my Martin Logans). I've read to... couple / decouple / spike / brass disks / rubber isolation. I've seen 78 cent furniture disks to $478 platforms. Any advice? (I don't remember any rubber cups in my HSU box, smelly or not!) -thanks.
Old June 25th, 2007, 2:19 PM

bsoko is on a distinguished road
Did you run your setup on your system? You went to hardwood flooring from carpeting and that probably changed your acoustics in the room.
Old June 25th, 2007, 2:50 PM

khouseal is on a distinguished road
set up

Good point! Just got anxious to hear it and skipped the business end! I'm really curioius as to how best set the speaker physically up, I see HSU recommended an area rug under it but that won't pass the spousa.
Old June 25th, 2007, 6:30 PM

JHixson is on a distinguished road
I have heard of people using things as simple as quarters but I know they make disks with little indents to use with spikes.
Old June 26th, 2007, 4:24 AM

Rehab is on a distinguished road
Maybe a throw rug under it?
Old June 27th, 2007, 4:35 PM

Retread will become famous soon enoughRetread will become famous soon enough
Throw Rug

Old thread somewhere said bare hard floors make poor sub environments and to cut throw rug to fit under. Also use rubber furniture cups under pointy spikes to keep from drilling to China, even through the rug. I've done that for both of my subs.
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:08 AM

the_anthony is on a distinguished road
carpet stores

Just a quick suggestion:

I once worked in the warehouse of a carpet/flooring store and, as a new color/product line was released, we were constantly throwing out the existing bound samples of carpet (about the size of a doormat) that are stacked around the store.

I'd suggest swinging by your local carpet showroom and asking for an old sample (or maybe two, to stack).

They're much neater than cutting up a rug (as the edges are bound), are FREE, allow you to keep your existing spikes on the sub, and are typically the perfect size to slip under a sub. Chances are you could even pick a color that the wife would approve of!

I gave an old sample to a friend to place under his down-firing sub and the improvement was dramatic.

As mentioned earlier, any new placement and or/ surface textures in the room should be coupled with a fresh session of EQing/set up.

Please let us know how you go. I just moved into a new place with wood floors, so I'll be tasting my own medicine as soon as I decide on my new sub :-)
Old July 1st, 2007, 5:13 PM

tedjack is on a distinguished road
I use a Gramma by Auralex. It "floats" the sub from the floor. I use them for my home sub and bass guitar amp. You can get them at Guitar Center for about $50.00. The sound improvment in your sub is well worth the $50.00. www.auralex.com

Last edited by tedjack : July 1st, 2007 at 5:30 PM.