HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 11th, 2010, 9:51 AM

Tvortex is on a distinguished road
VTF-3 Mks vs VTF-2 Mks

Hey Everyone! Just asking for some input on a delemia I am in.

Want to buy the VTF-3 Mks, BUT? (Isnt there always a but). For aesthetic reasons I would have to get it in Walnut or Rose Wood. Probably a lot of married guys can relate, but in order to get a sub on this scale (which I am totally fine with) dont have a a debut my wife has a differing opinion, so I need it to look, more like a piece of furniture. However, with the VTF-3 in Walnut/Rose Wood, it obviously increases the price. That? Makes me consider the VTF-2 Mk2 with the option of Walnut/rosewood.

My room (dont quote me but right around 2880 cubic ft). Is the VFT-2 that much of a step down from the VTF -3 or no for a room my size? I've read all the specs (obsessively). I had said earlier in a post, I always like to have more headroom, etc., in that in all my years as an audiophile, each time I upgrade, I never want opt for more, with never a regret.

Anyways! Tim
Old July 11th, 2010, 9:40 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Hi Tim,

I do think that the VTF-2 MK3 should do a very nice job at filling that space. If you are going to use it on a hardwood flooring surface, then I recommend using a small throw rug underneath so that the spiked feet aren't in directly contact with the hard flooring surface.

So if budget is already tight close to the $600-$700 region, then go with VTF-2 MK3. If budget is a bit more flexible, and you can accomodate a somewhat larger enclosure, then go with VTF-3 MK3.

Sincerely,
Old July 12th, 2010, 12:42 PM

re VFT

Hi! Thanks for the reply. Kinda of what I thought. Off topic a tad (and I'll move on) but got married a couple of years ago, and my wife just doesn't like my audio equipment, and I'm assuming I'm not the only guy with this issue.

I can look at a sub, or a set of speakers or electronics, plasma tv? What do I see? I literally see them as pieces of art. My wife has never complained about listening to everything, but kinda of an out of sight out of mind kinda of gal. And to me in the world of sub woofers (or for that matter speakers in general), I dont care who you are....its simply a matter of physics in desgining them. Sure maybe someday? I'll just hook up a wire in the back of my head, and there will be no more physical objects.

In a perfect world I would love a dedicated media room (a.k.a a man cave), with my HT, listening to all my music, movies, play around with my Mac, etc. And it would be totally out of her way. Alas, I live in the real world!

Sufice to say though? Boy? I'd would reallllllllly hate to chose between a subwoofer and my wife! (Kidding) Thanks everyone for your input! Tim
Old July 12th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Hsu Research

You are most welcome Tim, thanks for participating here!

Sincerely,
Old July 14th, 2010, 7:16 AM

mystik610 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvortex View Post
Hi! Thanks for the reply. Kinda of what I thought. Off topic a tad (and I'll move on) but got married a couple of years ago, and my wife just doesn't like my audio equipment, and I'm assuming I'm not the only guy with this issue.

I can look at a sub, or a set of speakers or electronics, plasma tv? What do I see? I literally see them as pieces of art. My wife has never complained about listening to everything, but kinda of an out of sight out of mind kinda of gal. And to me in the world of sub woofers (or for that matter speakers in general), I dont care who you are....its simply a matter of physics in desgining them. Sure maybe someday? I'll just hook up a wire in the back of my head, and there will be no more physical objects.

In a perfect world I would love a dedicated media room (a.k.a a man cave), with my HT, listening to all my music, movies, play around with my Mac, etc. And it would be totally out of her way. Alas, I live in the real world!

Sufice to say though? Boy? I'd would reallllllllly hate to chose between a subwoofer and my wife! (Kidding) Thanks everyone for your input! Tim
The ever infamous WAF!

Your wife will get over it eventually. The sub will be with you for years to come! A few days of her being angry is worth years of audio nirvana.

Sometimes I add a little something to my HT and my wife doesn't notice. She still hasn't found the little MBM-12 I just hid behind the couch last weekend
Rear: Polk Audio FXi3
Pre/Pro: Onkyo TX-SR805
Amp: Emotiva XPA-5
Old July 16th, 2010, 11:10 PM

Pricing

Gentleman! Without turning this into a marriage forum. Cliff note version, my wife never realized how much of an audiophile, I am.

Hey question? I notice prices for various makes & models change relavitely quickly (about every two-three weeks) and I haven't been on the forum that long. I swear they either have a HSU marketing genus, a conspiracy, OR? Like the Godfather? Sooner or later they make you an offer you cant refuse.

Question? What's up with the lowered pricing on the VFT 3, and VTF 2 in walnut? I notice they lowered their prices on the Walnut veneer versions. I'm gonna take a guess, and say maybe they have some inventory, that there not moving?

What ever I go for, which I SOOOOO SOOOOO initially wanted the VTF 3 Mk3, BUT? I had to get it in a real wood (rosenut) veneer, so the price point for my budget was pushing me towards the VTF 2 Mk3 (with a wood veneer).

Now I see they have the VFT Mks 3 (Walnut Veneer) at $659.00. I was leaning toward Rosewood, BUT I could beyond easily live with walnut. So I was just curious as to why the price change? THANKS! Tim
Old July 17th, 2010, 1:27 PM
Hsu Research

Hi Tim,

We have decided to limit the number of luxury finishes that we are offering, so we are clearing out the Walnut wood veneer (note that the Espresso and Maple were cleared out earlier). So now is a great time to pick up the Walnut wood veneer at an unbeatable price. We will keep the Rosenut wood veneer and Satin Black finishes.

Sincerely,
Old July 18th, 2010, 8:22 AM

Jeramee2 is on a distinguished road
Wink Keep the finish options :-)

Hey there Pete,

Not that I am going to be buying a new subwoofer every year or anything, but I would encourage HSU to keep some of those other options available. I have a Rosenut ULS-15 and it is BEAUTIFUL, but I know many would love to have some of the other options.

Walnut looks great, and I know some people are still weeping over Piano Black no longer being available. I'm sure the cost of offering so many options drives the decision, but hopefully HSU eventually finds a cost effective means to keep a few additional options (Maple can go, but Walnut and Piano Black - we love you!).

It would be a shame if someone wanted to add a second ULS-15 or VTF3 a year later and couldn't match their existing Walnut (for example). Anyhoo, I LOVE the HSU subs, hopefully making my second HSU purchase this coming week :-).
Old July 18th, 2010, 10:12 AM

Purchased the VFT-2 Mks3 TODAY!!!

Well everyone! In between "contemplating" when to cut the grass, I went ahead and ordered the VTF-2 Mks on-line today! Probably like most everyone else, after a TON of consideration (reading professional reviews, checking out all the audio boards, google searches, competitors, etc), my practical side thought the price drop on walnut, would give me some extra $$$ to get a Blue Ray Player (that can also play SACD's...hmmm OPPO BDP 80 in my near future), at a good price.

Since I tend to get ahead of myself (like contemplating to mow the grass) my excitement has raised a couple of questions? I realize with a down firing sub spiked fee are in order. Are they permanent, screwed in (can they be opted out for other feet?)

Crossover? I Have B & W's (FR/FL) 600 series bookshelf speakers (specs: 52 Hz - 20 kHZ). Bought a new receiver (and like most available these days with all the bells & whistles...to me? there all basically black case covered PC's in audio/video clothes). Suffice to say always stunned how much measurements one can take. Downside? Dont get me started about my OSD obsessive-compulsion audio nature! Haven't crossed over to washing my hands ten times a day yet!

Question? I take it start at the 80Hz crossover mark? My problem and a way to deal with myself? At the end of the day I always tune by ear. After a child hood of music lessons, playing from grade school though high school in classical bands...personally I like to blame my parents but measurement get me close ( I view them more pragmatic as a tool, not the end all be all), but my ears always have a knack for what sounds right. THANKS! Tim
Old July 27th, 2010, 9:45 AM

VTF-2 Mk3 First Impression

I got my VTF-2 Mk3 this Friday, no problem with Fed Ex at all. Didnt even need to sign for it (but I have a private fenced in patio area, with a covered deck. Came in perfect condition.

Fit/Finish are excellent. Chose the Walnut Finish to fit my decor, and the biggest reason (other then the sound) because of the price reduction. Its big like everyone says, but I knew that. Have to say Pete Hsu is beyond customer friendly. I could do an entire posting on how well he worked with me on questions, etc. Literally called me back, e-mailed me, etc. Great guy, cant say enough!

Set up; Have the one port closed, for deeper bass extension. Placed it in a corner hooked up my single cable to my receivers Lfe output. I may use a rug under it, in that I live in a house built in 1913, so the original floors are not perfectly even. Was able to move it, but some people might need help. I dont see how it could scratch your floor unless you literally dragged it across a floor.

I have to say I've had somewhat higher end audio equipment for years (again not the ultra high end, more on the budget high end), so the wow factor for me is a bit more tame these days. Kinda of been there seen it all. Wow to me? Is how the price of audio technology keeps comming down in price.

Sound; Have it set at the 80Hz crossover, although I think because the receiver does the cut off I dont need the crossover switch on (per directions?) Volume around noon position. Re-calibrated my speaker with this sub in place. Impression? I have never heard sound this low, clean, & defined. My speakers really emphasize clean mid-range & treble, so the this sub-woofer augments it exceptionally well. The test CD disk...in particular with the first track? Your literally feeling it more then hearing it, again have never heard or felt sounds that low. Then again, I never had a subwoofer like this.

Downside for me personally? I will never be able to secure everything in my house to prevent unwanted resonance (so wish I had a dedicated HT room). In fact, the floors, walls, and all the leaded glass windows in the room literally shake. I can use the test tones to really get an idea of what is rattling, but its an excercise in futility. Again think "This Old House"!

I have read some other posters who feel this way? But I dont like my bass to overwhelm my speakers or sound unnatural with the material I listen to! But? I have to say just for fun, I am going to play some techno music with some low end bass lines. Most of the time it will be used at mild/moderate levels. I like being able to have that choice though.

Overall? This sub is a steal price wise. Gives you the options to tune the sound to your liking. You have a MIT graduate for product support and designed these subs. What more could you want! Tim
Old July 27th, 2010, 1:17 PM

kswanson is on a distinguished road
Hi Tim,

Congrats on you purchase. I have two VTF2 Mk3's in my system and love them. One point---you said you hooked up the sub to your LFE out on your receiver. Not knowing your receiver I could be wrong but usually when the sub is hooked up to the LFE out it only works when there is an LFE track on the disc and not all discs have an LFE channel. Do you have a sub out? I'd try that with your speakers set to small, the crossover at 80hz and see what happens.

Ken
Old July 27th, 2010, 4:21 PM

Low Frq Effects (LFE)

Hey Ken! Funny been hooking up audio/vid equip for years (mainly my own, friends and family, etc). Babbling on to the wife one night that I could probably hook up audio/video equip for a living. Read your reply! Was like HOLLY S#%@T! I hadn't thought about that!

I use the terms interchangeably (LFE & Sub Out) long story short, there is only a sub out on my receiver. I double checked everything (i.e. read the manaul..again...physically looked around back, etc). Actually I never knew that was on some receivers/processors, etc.

I've replaced completely my smaller 8" B&W sub with the VTF-2Mks. The B&W didnt go low enough etc. Then it struck me it does do mid lows really well, even a "music" setting on the sub for it. That got me thinking about maybe putting it back in the loop.

Question Ken? How did you hook up your two subs? Use a splitter, i have had subs with a sub out on them as well. Tim
Old July 27th, 2010, 8:38 PM
Hsu Research

Thank you for all the kind words Tim, so glad that you like it! Post some pictures if you get a chance

Sincerely,
Old July 27th, 2010, 9:32 PM

kswanson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hey Ken! Funny been hooking up audio/vid equip for years (mainly my own, friends and family, etc). Babbling on to the wife one night that I could probably hook up audio/video equip for a living. Read your reply! Was like HOLLY S#%@T! I hadn't thought about that!

I use the terms interchangeably (LFE & Sub Out) long story short, there is only a sub out on my receiver. I double checked everything (i.e. read the manaul..again...physically looked around back, etc). Actually I never knew that was on some receivers/processors, etc.

I've replaced completely my smaller 8" B&W sub with the VTF-2Mks. The B&W didnt go low enough etc. Then it struck me it does do mid lows really well, even a "music" setting on the sub for it. That got me thinking about maybe putting it back in the loop.

Question Ken? How did you hook up your two subs? Use a splitter, i have had subs with a sub out on them as well. Tim
I've never seen an LFE output either but if they exist they sure aren't interchangeable. I'm running my subs in mono. I run from my processor to an Anti Mode 8033 then to a splitter into both subs.

Your processor should have options in its bass management area that will allow you to configure you sub as mono, stereo or LFE. Suggest you use mono--you have one sub so that's easy and set your crossover in the processor to 80 or higher, depending how things sound.
Old July 29th, 2010, 6:06 AM

Y-Spliter

If you use a Y-Spliter for the subwoofer out (from the receiver). is there any signal degradation or loss??? My receiver had the ability to boost in decibels the subwoofer output.

I didn't know if I hooked up my second subwoofer, is there a signal loss issue or no? Again I have a smaller B & W 8" subwoofer, that actually has three settings on it to adjust the sound. Again doesnt go any where near as low as the VTF-2 Mks3, but I was going to try experimenting with hooking it up this weekend. THANKS! Tim
Old July 29th, 2010, 6:23 AM

Sorry for all the questions? Think of one thing, and something else crosses my mind.

Another quick question? I noticced that my B&W subwoofer (like most of them do) has a subwoofer - Line IN....BUT? Also a Line OUT. The manual indicates that this is to hook up a second subwoofer. Is this preferable to a Y-Splitter or no...makes no difference? When you use the Line In, to the
B&W Subwoofer the manual indicates that the crossover is then desinagted by the pre-amp/receivers cross over setting. Meaning the manual dial knob crossover is defeated.

Any thoughts just let me know! Tim
Old July 29th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Hsu Research

Hi Tim,

Splitting the signal from the sub pre-out on the receiver via y-splitter will not result in any signal degradation, so feel free to do that. Note that your B&W subwoofer has outputs for daisy chaining to a second or multiple B&W subwoofers. Since your second sub is a different make/model, no need to daisy chain the subs.

Sincerely,
Old July 30th, 2010, 7:32 AM

Thanks Pete! I noticed after reivewing the manual more carefully thats exactly what its for (i.e. Daisy Chaining).

Since I have a second sub, I thought to myself might as try two subs, just wasnt sure how to go about that. Its not that I hated the B&W sub, it just it didnt go as low and loud as I would have prefered, espically when I set my gear up in a much larger room.

Loaded question Pete (when you have nothing better to do). Obviousley you helped design or had a hand in your speaker lines. Other then your speakers, anything you ever dreamed about owning speaker wise, heard, or would like to have in your setup? Tim
Old July 30th, 2010, 8:37 AM
Hsu Research

Hi Tim,

I always wanted some TAD speakers after hearing and seeing them a long while back at one of the shows in Las Vegas, but they are way way beyond my budget

Sincerely,
Old August 2nd, 2010, 7:46 AM

Last post for this thread. Been listing to the VTF-2 Mk3 for about a week and a half. Its definately the best sub I have ever owned. I am probably in the minority but I listen to music way more then HT. This is the kinda of sub that literally made me pull out my entire music collection. To be honest couldnt get to it fast enough (Pop, Rock, Alternative, Traditional Jazz, Electronic/Techno, Folk, Classical, etc).

Took me a few days to dial it in per say. Placement is key, and talijg advantage of my A/V Receviers speaker setup. Its a very very impressive subwoofer. Thanks for all the input and suggestions of this forum. Tim
Old August 2nd, 2010, 7:54 AM

monkuboy is on a distinguished road
Just thought I'd chime in and say I love my VTF-2 Mk 3 as well. I did have some room response issues/problems and wound up buying a Velodyne SMS-1 to deal with the peaks and dips. The output from this sub is very clean and tight on HT and music. I watched Toy Story the other day and the low frequency stuff was just superb - you could feel it and it was very solid. No boominess, no overhang on the sound, just clean, tight and realistic. It's only there when it is really supposed to be there!
________
Buy Vapormatic

Last edited by monkuboy : March 8th, 2011 at 7:26 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 10:28 AM

hometheatergeek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Last post for this thread. Been listing to the VTF-2 Mk3 for about a week and a half. Its definately the best sub I have ever owned. I am probably in the minority but I listen to music way more then HT. This is the kinda of sub that literally made me pull out my entire music collection. To be honest couldnt get to it fast enough (Pop, Rock, Alternative, Traditional Jazz, Electronic/Techno, Folk, Classical, etc).

Took me a few days to dial it in per say. Placement is key, and talijg advantage of my A/V Receviers speaker setup. Its a very very impressive subwoofer. Thanks for all the input and suggestions of this forum. Tim

Nope your not the only one. I listen to as much music as you which also includes all of the above plus smooth jazz. My ULS-15 dual drive just craves to play music along with Video Concerts on DVD and Blurays. Have you had a chance to watch any of those yet? You'll be in for a treat.

My Current System
My Blu-Ray Collection
Old August 2nd, 2010, 10:34 AM

Hey Monkuboy. Damm? Everytime I think I'm done commenting! LOL!!! I still have a smaller B&W Sub I was going to hookup as well. Had some minor questions of how to do that, which everyone helped to explain that to me. Since the wife worked this weekend, I took advantage of some critical listening all weekend long (plus some HT as well), and I dont think I really need it. If I get a wild hair up my %$# I may hook it up for something to do! I also need some additional time to really interpret my AV receiver's graphical output data, etc. I get tweeked out sometimes, tune it in by ear, and then just listen!! Tim
Old August 2nd, 2010, 2:02 PM

monkuboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hey Monkuboy. Damm? Everytime I think I'm done commenting! LOL!!! I still have a smaller B&W Sub I was going to hookup as well. Had some minor questions of how to do that, which everyone helped to explain that to me. Since the wife worked this weekend, I took advantage of some critical listening all weekend long (plus some HT as well), and I dont think I really need it. If I get a wild hair up my %$# I may hook it up for something to do! I also need some additional time to really interpret my AV receiver's graphical output data, etc. I get tweeked out sometimes, tune it in by ear, and then just listen!! Tim
Haha.. never say it's your "last" post!
________
CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Last edited by monkuboy : March 8th, 2011 at 7:26 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 9:13 PM

TRado is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeramee2 View Post
Hey there Pete,

Not that I am going to be buying a new subwoofer every year or anything, but I would encourage HSU to keep some of those other options available. I have a Rosenut ULS-15 and it is BEAUTIFUL, but I know many would love to have some of the other options.

It would be a shame if someone wanted to add a second ULS-15 or VTF3 a year later and couldn't match their existing Walnut (for example).
Ditto, I was ready to buy dual espresso ULS-15's the day after they sold out. Now I have a real dilemma. I was actually going to wait in the hope that they would be replenished. But it seems that is not going to happen. Now I'm stuck. PLEASE bring the luxury colors back. Just price them differently if it's that big of a difference. Although it's hard to understand why the cost would have been reduced if they are more expensive to make. In any event, you know your business better than we do, but the inability to get them in a specific color is preventing me from making this purchase.